Is Windows 7 back up reliable?

I have just started using automatic back up of Windows 7 to back up my data folders onto secondary internal HDD (I manually back up to external drives periodically). However I am wondering whether or not it is a reliable method of taking daily backups or should I use another software or do this manually?

If you have the space to do it, one of the easiest back-up methods built into Windows is the "Create System Image" back-up. It takes about an hour, but it'll make a 1-to-1 copy of your PC that you can restore in case of emergencies.
For everyday files, I just copy my personal folders here and there, too.

I use Macrium Reflect for automated backups on home computers. Works brilliantly, and while it doesn't offer you Differential or Incremental backups (Full Image only) it does offer compression which the built-in Windows software doesn't provide. Could fit in 2 images for the price of 1 Windows B&R if space becomes an issue.

If you give Windows Backup it's own disk, it can manage the backups and provide you point in time restore functionality. Yes, it works great.

I did have windows backup running successfully for some time then one day it would not recognize my secondary hdd. Now it wont backup at all and the hdd does not even show in the list of potential backup devices. It just shows my cd drive and says insert a disk. Really weird, not sure what the reason is because my hdd is functioning normally besides that.

Depends on how your system is setup.

If you're like me and have an SSD with your OS and main programs on it....and then store your Steam on another HDD...Windows backup throws a fit.

I have 3 drives in my computer.

1. SSD which has OS and other software.
2. 1TB HDD which stores documents and images I work with.
3. 2TB HDD for internal backup and storing songs etc.

I do not care about creating a system image, since if the OS drive gets corrupted or windows has any issue, I can simply reinstall everything, which I know is time consuming affair, but something I prefer over using system image or system restore.

I just use backup software to backup data on my 1TB drive daily, so that if it dies between my weekly external backups, I will hopefully have something to fall back upon.

My answer is Windows 7 back up not 100% reliable.
I also with a third-party backup software-Aomei backupper.
Its Schedule Backup has Daily Mode:
1. Set a time point in the future to perform the backup task only once.
2. Set a time point to perform the backup task once every day.
3. Set a time frame in a day first. Then choose the time interval between each backup. The program will perform the backup at intervals in this time frame every day (the time interval could be 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours or 6 hours).
However, it won't support file backup,only partition, disk, system do.
It's enough for me.
You mentiond data folders, I don't know what exactly they’re, all in one partition or not?

yes it is reliable within it's limitations. I have used it on occasion with no issues.

i have always and still use windows system image backup since windows 7 and its always worked 100% perfect.....its perfect in win 8.1 as well......sometimes i secure erase my ssd once a month and just load up my saved system image and its back to brand new performance wise.

Back