Is Vista any good???

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy_uoft

n00b
Is the Vista OS any good? A lot of people bash it and say it's crap and failure of an os, is it true? How does it compare to XP and 7? Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

This question has been asked few hundred times. Your best bet to find the answer is search the forum.

good luck.

Since SP1 and a slew of other updates..it's incrementally gotten good.
Yeah you'll need a more powerful rig than, and yeah Windows 7 is looking better.

I love my Vista x64

its a fantastic and stable OS

it looks nice and runs well. and there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on this. search is your bff.

No, Vista is no good low down dirty dog. He will steal all your ram, hide your settings in obscure places, he is the foot of the MAN crushing down on the throat of free thought, he will cost you money, kill your dog, sleep with your wife, girlfriend, and mom, then show you pictures of it while you sit in prison for a crime Vista framed you with. ;) :p

Just kidding. Vista runs fine on modern hardware, the drivers have been good to go for it for quite a while, it is a worthy successor and an improvement over Xp imho. There are few really legit reasons to use Xp32 over it on a new home or gaming PC build.
Win 7 is basically a refined version of Vista, judging from the beta, I am thinking it is going to be better than Vista.

I know it's been asked quite a few times, I'm searching for old threads as we speak, just thought I'd get a current consensus as well

This question has been asked few hundred times. Your best bet to find the answer is search the forum.

good luck.

Will these threads ever stop? :rolleyes:

The reason this keeps up is because a lot of people are really confused over all of the conflicting information.

I'm am open minded but biased Windows user so to keep it short and sweet. On good hardware Vista is awesome. It has it quirks but it super functional.

But if you're on the path for an upgrade, wait for Windows 7 if you can. It should be out this year, my guess early Q4.

Vista is fine. 7 is essentially the same thing except it runs better on older hardware than Vista. If you run a modern system, you won't notice anything different between Vista and 7 performance wise. 7 is not going to be any more compatible than Vista was, not that Vista wasn't compatible; I haven't had issues.

it's horrible just bloody horrible :rolleyes: Been running it for at least a year and like it enough that I dislike using XP Pro at work I'll tell you that much.

edit: forgot to add my emoticon so everyone would know I was being sarcastic with the first comment. The second sentence is me doing my part so similar threads are never created again. :D <-smiley is needed to let everyone know I was joking right there.

You know the problem with Vista wasen't really Vista, it was drivers. The driver models changed so it took time for 3rd parties to create quality drivers. Those are here now.

That's one of the reasons why people are coming back to Windows 7 and saying it's good. It uses the same driver model as Vista which have had time to mature.

Through my own personal experience with Windows Vista, I'd say there's no comparison between it and Windows XP. XP is 7, going on 8 years old, and definitely starting to show it's age. Windows Vista is a lot faster, a lot more stable and a lot more secure. (For me, at least)

Even a google search won't help.

"OMG I FOUND THIS ARTICLE THAT SAYS VISTA SUXXXXX M$$$ SUXXXX LOOOK!!"

"Article date: January 4, 2007"

Vista runs nice on modern hardware. On older econo hardware mileage tends to vary wildly.

You know the problem with Vista wasen't really Vista, it was drivers. The driver models changed so it took time for 3rd parties to create quality drivers. Those are here now.

Then why Windows users complain about Linux? I really don't understand the bias. I always hear from Windows users, "my bluetooth headset and wifi don't work.LINUX isn't ready!" Why is it my wifi and bluetooth work perfectly out of the box for me? I can even use a hacked driver and go war driving after a fresh install. Somehow, if their hardware that worked from XP doesn't work in Linux, it isn't ready for the prime time. If I tell them to get a new wifi card, they say Linux is inferior and they rather spend the money on the new motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and ram and go with VISTA. Also, if it gives them BSOD, it is still OK. Be honest with you, I really don't care that much anymore. People will be bias toward their favorite tool. People should do their own research to avoid various negativities.

Is the Vista OS any good? A lot of people bash it and say it's crap and failure of an os, is it true? How does it compare to XP and 7? Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

Flamewar thread in 3...2...1....

flamwar1bm.png

i have loved vista since the RC releases, sure they were faster then the final but with today hardware vista runs great

7 is Vista liuke %90 if it, but tweaked to perform like XP speed but all the goodies of Vista, what many say Vista should of been like

Personally Vista is great for me, i have no reason to get windows 7.

Then why Windows users complain about Linux? I really don't understand the bias. I always hear from Windows users, "my bluetooth headset and wifi don't work.LINUX isn't ready!" Why is it my wifi and bluetooth work perfectly out of the box for me? I can even use a hacked driver and go war driving after a fresh install. Somehow, if their hardware that worked from XP doesn't work in Linux, it isn't ready for the prime time. If I tell them to get a new wifi card, they say Linux is inferior and they rather spend the money on the new motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and ram and go with VISTA. Also, if it gives them BSOD, it is still OK. Be honest with you, I really don't care that much anymore. People will be bias toward their favorite tool. People should do their own research to avoid various negativities.

You have a point, and would have had an even better point two years ago. Yes, Vista drivers were slow to come around no doubt about it.

However, do you really think that any modern piece of computer sold today, 2 years after Vista's release doesn't have Vista support?

Yes, I'm biased, but one this is perhaps the biggest issues I have with the Linux community. Windows support for drivers across the board for new hardware really isn't an issue, the drivers are going to exist. They may not be any good but they are going to exist. I'm not saying that Linux's driver support is bad its just not in the same league as Windows. Nor would any rational person expect that since its a niche desktop market and even in that space its targeted as being able to run old hardware, not something one put on a $5k workstation. Once again not slamming Linux.

I feel the Linux community tends to down play this issue and I know that its not any direct fault of Linux, but look at how Vista got so badly trashed because of driver support. However, Linux does have pretty good driver support and has for a while. But new hardware can be tricky. Just depends.

So what distro do you run? You say you have bluetooth and wireless working and I'd like the same experience with my next Linux setup.

Thanks!

You have a point, and would have had an even better point two years ago. Yes, Vista drivers were slow to come around no doubt about it.

However, do you really think that any modern piece of computer sold today, 2 years after Vista's release doesn't have Vista support?

Where do you get these information? What kind of computers scientists at NASA run? 486? I think you might have a wrong information.

Yes, I'm biased, but one this is perhaps the biggest issues I have with the Linux community. Windows support for drivers across the board for new hardware really isn't an issue, the drivers are going to exist.

Where were you in the past three years when people were screaming where is my Vista drivers? You are bias, because that is only think you want to see, because it feels comfortable to know one platform is easy to maintain based on your IT background. Some IT people want Linux to go away, because they are burned out from learning.

They may not be any good but they are going to exist. I'm not saying that Linux's driver support is bad its just not in the same league as Windows.

I totally disagree. We discussed this other thread. I am little tired of this. Linux people like to focus on the chipset drivers. If the vendors don't write the drivers, don't expect a driver developer to buy every hardware in the world to get it working. If your hardware isn't working, report it. They can take the output of your log, and put you as a beta tester. All popular distros have reporting tool. This is another reason, why some distros are every six months. people do listen in Linux world. It isn't like you can actually talk to a developer from Ms.

Nor would any rational person expect that since its a niche desktop market and even in that space its targeted as being able to run old hardware, not something one put on a $5k workstation. Once again not slamming Linux.

My laptop from a previous client was a lot more than your average tablet laptop and it rocked under Linux. I love Alienware. It is nice to run 30 Linux servers and eat lunch outside. There are companies out there build you a power workstation for Linux for a lot more than you described. If you actually read Linux magazines, you would know this. Everything about Linux is based around your assumption as a Window user. Linux is free, but it isn't cheap with BSOD.

I feel the Linux community tends to down play this issue and I know that its not any direct fault of Linux, but look at how Vista got so badly trashed because of driver support. However, Linux does have pretty good driver support and has for a while. But new hardware can be tricky. Just depends.

If you are part of community, you should know the answer. Of course, a sweat shop made wifi card with Bobjoe on the cover and comes with XP/VISTA drivers aren't going to work with Linux. That card will not even work with 7. Like I said to people, go to your favorite Linux distro site and search for a recommended wifi card, and buy a new wifi card. They are $25. $25 is dirt cheap. I don't know how simple this is. If you card doesn't work with a certain OS, buy a new card that works with it. You can always write or hack your own...That is a great thing about Linux once you get good at it. Until you reached that point, just buy a new card for $25. You just saved $650 on a buying a new PC to run the lastest Vista OS.

So what distro do you run? You say you have bluetooth and wireless working and I'd like the same experience with my next Linux setup.
Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, and FreeBSD. All work out of box.

What is up with you and all your constant forum phuckery?

Because, I like to correct people's assumptions, so they have the correct information. I really don't care if people run XP, Vista or 7. Actually, I'm very excited that they are buying a new PC, but don't claim something sucks before a fair comparison. That is all. That is my only point. If you misunderstood my statement, it is OK. It is a forum. We all misunderstand each other.

added
=====
So, it isn't OK to say Vista uses tons of RAM, but it is OK to say Linux sucks for not having enough drivers? It is a moot point. Let's be clear about this. If people want to buy more RAM, new cpu, dx10 GPU, and motherboard to run Vista, it is OK by me. The hardware price is really cheap. But, stop saying Linux sucks, because some people can't afford $25 wifi card. That is my point. All people have right to choose. That is why having options are great wonderful thing in the PC world. That is the point I would like to make. There is nothing wrong with buying more hardware to run Vista.

Windows has drivers for everything. It took time to get quality drivers as vendors had to learn a new way of writing them. I have had drivers for vista for all of my hardware since it was in beta.
In linux a great deal of hardware doesn't have drivers. Or they are written by the community and going through alot of growing pains. Or they require alot of configuration. I have spent alot of time fighting with configuring wireless and even wired ethernet back in the day. I have spent alot of time on the command line just getting things to work. Now, things have improved for linux in this department but it still has a ways to go.
I have yet to install any linux distro(and I have tried many in the last decade) that has had 100% hardware functionality out of the box. Or even after some manual configuration.

I have yet to install any linux distro(and I have tried many in the last decade) that has had 100% hardware functionality out of the box. Or even after some manual configuration.

Then your best bet is stick with the popular distro like Ubuntu and report your problems. Reason, so many developers switched to Ubuntu is the mass amount of data to work with. Eventually, the rest of other distros and other open sourced OSes will take those codes and make a driver for it. Even Hackintosh benefits from the open source driver model. Remember, many PC manufactures don't write drivers for Linux. The community and few paid developers do. For not working 100% out of the box, I can't say the same. I had so far 100% success, but I do research the hardware before I make any purchases. Some people even got Debian running on Iphone and google phones. Linux will always require more investigation in the hardware until everyone start reporting their issues.

Then your best bet is stick with the popular distro like Ubuntu and report your problems. Reason, so many developers switched to Ubuntu is the mass amount of data to work with. Eventually, the rest of other distros and other open sourced OSes will take those codes and make a driver for it. Even Hackintosh benefits from the open source drive model. Remember, many PC manufactures don't write drivers for Linux. The community and few paid developers do. For not working 100% out of the box, I can't say the same. I had so far 100% success, but I do research the hardware before I make any purchases. Some people even got Debian running on Iphone and google phones.

Oh I have used ubuntu. It just won't install on my main desktop. Not the past 3 releases.

I don't buy hardware specifically for linux. At least not anymore. I have back in the winmodem days. In fact I still have that external zoom modem that connected via a serial cable.
I'm sure if what I was after was running linux I could get better results. But I don't buy hardware for linux, I buy hardware that works with OSX and windows.

But to sum up, I do agree with what you said.

Oh I have used ubuntu. It just won't install on my main desktop. Not the past 3 releases.

I don't buy hardware specifically for linux. At least not anymore. I have back in the winmodem days. In fact I still have that external zoom modem that connected via a serial cable.
I'm sure if what I was after was running linux I could get better results. But I don't buy hardware for linux, I buy hardware that works with OSX and windows.

But to sum up, I do agree with what you said.

If you run OSX on a non-apple hardware, you understand the process. It isn't hard to understand if you don't buy the right hardware, it will be difficult to get it running. Anyway, thank you for understanding my point. Winmodem was a bitch, because the entire conversion happens on the processor. Many companies refuse to cough up their codes. I really don't understand some PC companies, either they get money from Microsoft or their ego is way too high.

Where do you get these information? What kind of computers scientists at NASA run? 486? I think you might have a wrong information.

I guess I should have prefaced my statements that I was talking about the consumer desktop space. Linux on servers or high end computing situations is a totally different beast, one in with *NIX systems are the majority of the market.

Where were you in the past three years when people were screaming where is my Vista drivers? You are bias, because that is only think you want to see, because it feels comfortable to know one platform is easy to maintain based on your IT background. Some IT people want Linux to go away, because they are burned out from learning.

As biased as I may be I also force myself to look at reality. I know about the state of Vista drivers as well as anyone as I started using in full time from the first public beta. There might me the rare exception but any new consumer oriented hardware for PC's is going to have at the very least 32 bit drivers and more than likely 64 bit drivers. That's just the reality of the situation as it stands today. Older hardware has been problematic to say the least but even that situation improved considerably.

I totally disagree. We discussed this other thread. I am little tired of this. Linux people like to focus on the chipset drivers. If the vendors don't write the drivers, don't expect a driver developer to buy every hardware in the world to get it working. If your hardware isn't working, report it. They can take the output of your log, and put you as a beta tester. All popular distros have reporting tool. This is another reason, why some distros are every six months. people do listen in Linux world. It isn't like you can actually talk to a developer from Ms.

We disagree and that's fine. I am not trying to flame. I didn't say that Linux driver support was bad. I'm simply saying that it's not in the same league on consumer desktops because how can it be? No matter how you slice it Windows has a order of magnitude more users who buy more stuff that they want to work to on Windows. This isn't bias, its the facts as best as I can ascertain.

As far as learning new stuff, there's enough on either platform to keep a person busy for a lifetime and as an business software developer in an environment where Linux clients just aren't important, yes I tend to concentrate on what pays the bills. Primarily .NET, which has Linux support, and a little Eclipse which cross platform. If the market dictates that I need more Linux skills then that's what I have to do to eat, I don't care. Right now knowing Windows well is how I eat, its that simple.

My laptop from a previous client was a lot more than your average tablet laptop and it rocked under Linux. I love Alienware. It is nice to run 30 Linux servers and eat lunch outside. There are companies out there build you a power workstation for Linux for a lot more than you described. If you actually read Linux magazines, you would know this. Everything about Linux is based around your assumption as a Window user. Linux is free, but it isn't cheap with BSOD.

You must be aware that Linux has been marketed in the consumer space as a low cost alternative to Windows that's more secure, doesn't require buying lots of new hardware and has lots of great free applications. This point was especially pushed hard when Vista was released due to its perceived high demands. I say perceived because call it bias if you'd like, in my own experience the case was overstated. I've been in a couple of Best Buy where the blue shirts were running the line by me like it was out of a play book.
Of course Linux will run on as expensive of a machine as you like. That's certainly not how its marketed in the desktop consumer space. The netbook market were Linux as done its best every in the consumer space are not going to be buying Alienware's.

If you are part of community, you should know the answer. Of course, a sweat shop made wifi card with Bobjoe on the cover and comes with XP/VISTA drivers aren't going to work with Linux. That card will not even work with 7. Like I said to people, go to your favorite Linux distro site and search for a recommended wifi card, and buy a new wifi card. They are $25. $25 is dirt cheap. I don't know how simple this is. If you card doesn't work with a certain OS, buy a new card that works with it. You can always write or hack your own...That is a great thing about Linux once you get good at it. Until you reached that point, just buy a new card for $25. You just saved $650 on a buying a new PC to run the lastest Vista OS.
[\QUOTE]

And most of this point goes to my point that much of the mantra of desktop Linux is based on cost savings. There's nothing wrong with that, that's a good thing especially right now. $25 will buy you a fair amount DDR2 memory these days to speed of that box for Vista potentially as well.

Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, and FreeBSD. All work out of box.

So which on do you favor?

I'll say it again, I'm just like the debate. This whole this versus that debates fascinate me for some reason. I think because will people tend to be reasonable you find out stuff that you don't ordinarily. If you don't ask questions and challenge what people say in this kind of form its hard to learn anything.

I get some pointers of this stuff and trust like to learn. Even keep some of these conversations in my OneNote database for future reference like the tips on MythTV.

One day I might be a full time Linux user at work and home, hell I don't know!:p

Then your best bet is stick with the popular distro like Ubuntu and report your problems. Reason, so many developers switched to Ubuntu is the mass amount of data to work with. Eventually, the rest of other distros and other open sourced OSes will take those codes and make a driver for it. Even Hackintosh benefits from the open source driver model. Remember, many PC manufactures don't write drivers for Linux. The community and few paid developers do. For not working 100% out of the box, I can't say the same. I had so far 100% success, but I do research the hardware before I make any purchases. Some people even got Debian running on Iphone and google phones. Linux will always require more investigation in the hardware until everyone start reporting their issues.

You say that you have 100% out the box success rate with drivers. So what bluetooth transceiver do you use for A2DP support? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back