Is Verizon's Data Usage Alert System Broken?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There are several things you should take away from this article but, probably the most important is that Verizon considers its data usage alerts a "courtesy" not a "guarantee." So what other way is there to find out if you phone is going haywire sucking down gigs of data?

As it stands, users have the option of receiving text message alerts when they reach 50%, 75%, and 100% of their data consumption. But the Plain Dealer says in researching the issue there's "thousands" of people that say they either no longer get the alerts or get inaccurate warnings, and in some cases were hit with hundreds of dollars in fees because of it. According to the paper, Verizon informed the paper that such alerts are a "courtesy" not a "guarantee."

I have the Verizon data widget on my home screen to keep track, and my phone has its own data limit monitor like most android phones do with a warning level and cut off level set. I think that while it is truly verizons duty to monitor data usage properly since they are charging for it its not very sound of me to only use their meter to make sure I don't go over. I mean it's not them that gets charged more for going over so I need to take control of some of the responsibility to protect myself.

And no, I have never had an issue with Verizon misquoting data usage. If anything I have had verizon say I used less than my phone said I had.

First hand experience with this crapitude. Sometimes I get the notification at 75%, sometimes at 90%, others at both and, more often than not, neither. I'll agree azuza001 , they've never misquoted it, but it seems reasonably simple to ensure a notification goes out at expected intervals.

They consider it a "courtesy" because failing to provide it means they get another $15 a month out of you. Somehow, they never miss sending you the notification that you went over, and the reminder you can up your data for $10/month.

This is why I prefer the way T-Mobile's does it.
If I go over, they just slow down the data speed until the next month. Emails and text still work at the lower speed, and I never have to worry about extra charges, even on my kids phone.

I'm usually on WiFi anyways, so I rarely even come close to hitting my data cap.

If I go over, they just slow down the data speed until the next month. Emails and text still work at the lower speed, and I never have to worry about extra charges, even on my kids phone.

I'm usually on WiFi anyways, so I rarely even come close to hitting my data cap.

They introduced that. At first they charged extra for it, but now it's free with all plans. You just have to enable it.

Verizon Adds Data Tier, Makes Safety Mode Free for All

So this is no-longer an issue, unless you're too stupid to click a box. If their measurements are off, or for some reason you don't get a warning text, the worst thing that happens is you slow down.

Thanks to this plus free rollover, I could afford to drop my plan form 8GB to 4GB, cutting my bill by $20. And if I ever hit heavy usage and can't stand the slowdown, I can upgrade my data plan at any time during the month (and change it back down next month).

Credit to t-Mobile for bringing this change about!

FYI, you may want to look into switching to the newer T-Mobile One plan. It's unlimited data, text, voice, and tethering. I haven't had a chance to read the fine print.

FYI, you may want to look into switching to the newer T-Mobile One plan. It's unlimited data, text, voice, and tethering. I haven't had a chance to read the fine print.

I'm fine with my basic family plan. $90 for 3 lines with 2GB data. Only time I go over 1GB is when I'm on vacation.

They introduced that. At first they charged extra for it, but now it's free with all plans. You just have to enable it.

All NEW plans. My old "More Everything" plan can't get it. I'm well past 50% data usage and have yet to receive an alert from Verizon, even though I'm sure I set it up to do that months ago.

All NEW plans. My old "More Everything" plan can't get it. I'm well past 50% data usage and have yet to receive an alert from Verizon, even though I'm sure I set it up to do that months ago.

And, what does this other plan offer you that these new plans don't?

Doesn't every cell phone have built in data metering these days? Why do you even need this "service".

Screenshot_20160915-161048.png

I have the Verizon data widget on my home screen to keep track, and my phone has its own data limit monitor like most android phones do with a warning level and cut off level set. I think that while it is truly verizons duty to monitor data usage properly since they are charging for it its not very sound of me to only use their meter to make sure I don't go over. I mean it's not them that gets charged more for going over so I need to take control of some of the responsibility to protect myself.

And no, I have never had an issue with Verizon misquoting data usage. If anything I have had verizon say I used less than my phone said I had.

i have the same thing on my phone but where i've noticed a problem is that my parents who are on my account use Iphones, it fails to register their data usage correctly and it always ends up being a gig or two short of the actual usage on my account.. but it has no problem recording the data usage of the 2 other android phones on my account.. so i don't know if it's something screwed up in the account or it it's just not registering the iphones. i never get close to my 5 gig limit so i don't really care one way or the other but ultimitely they are just as accountable as you are because it's their own software recording the usage.

i have the same thing on my phone but where i've noticed a problem is that my parents who are on my account use Iphones, it fails to register their data usage correctly and it always ends up being a gig or two short of the actual usage on my account.. but it has no problem recording the data usage of the 2 other android phones on my account.. so i don't know if it's something screwed up in the account or it it's just not registering the iphones. i never get close to my 5 gig limit so i don't really care one way or the other but ultimitely they are just as accountable as you are because it's their own software recording the usage.

That's an interesting thought. I do not have any iPhones on my account, everyone uses android.

I've found their data to be leggy, usually a day old. So it's no surprise some people still went over after their warning. I've never had a problem with the widget giving accurate info though.

welcome to 'murica. eat too much data = charge
why does consumer get penalized for a service they cannot deliver?

wait for it.....here comes the tolerance patrol

Back