Is this really Dragon Age 2 gameplay footage?

WabeWalker

Supreme [H]ardness
At the end of this Utube video there's a brief amount of gameplay.

If this really is Dragon Age 2 then this series, which I thought was kind of lame to begin with (DA was obviously not the game that was promised six years ago) has become a total joke.

The one thing that I truly loved about Dragon Age was zooming out and seeing the beautiful animations of the characters swinging their swords. I always had Sten in my party because I loved watching him wind up with his two handed sword and bring it down on his opponent with a splatter of blood.

The gameplay in this video....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=CA#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=WHsNUjxmHGQ

... looks like a cartoon on fast forward.

This, for me, is probably the final straw. Mike Laidlaw needs to have his pass revoked. He and I must be exact opposites. Every decision this guy makes just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

At the end of this Utube video there's a brief amount of gameplay.

If this really is Dragon Age 2 then this series, which I thought was kind of lame to begin with (DA was obviously not the game that was promised six years ago) has become a total joke.

The one thing that I truly loved about Dragon Age was zooming out and seeing the beautiful animations of the characters swinging their swords. I always had Sten in my party because I loved watching him wind up with his two handed sword and bring it down on his opponent with a splatter of blood.

The gameplay in this video....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=CA#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=WHsNUjxmHGQ

... looks like a cartoon on fast forward.

This, for me, is probably the final straw. Mike Laidlaw needs to have his pass revoked. He and I must be exact opposites. Every decision this guy makes just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

I'm not entirely sure where that link sent me.

Well I would doubt the rihanna song would be the footage, but I too am also confused.

Here's what he intended to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsNUjxmHGQ

Wow... they're turning DA2 into a Devil May Cry-style button masher? I just died a little inside.

They had something SO good going with Dragon Age, and it was a huge commercial success spawning millions of fans... why did they have to do this? What a bunch of complete idiots in charge at Bioware. :(

Wow... they're turning DA2 into a Devil May Cry-style button masher? I just died a little inside.

They had something SO good going with Dragon Age, and it was a huge commercial success spawning millions of fans... why did they have to do this? What a bunch of complete idiots in charge at Bioware. :(

Interesting. So they're basically consolizing it. May not be a bad thing since I wasn't a huge fan of the play style of DAO.

IIRC the consoles didn't get the tactical view only over the shoulder so hopefully you still get the stop/go party control. However, game companies rarely know when to stop. Dragon age with a different story would have been fine.

I will wait till the final product however before jumping to conlusions based on a tiny amount of footage.

Honestly, I hope they "consolize" the combat more. The combat is what kept me away from DAO in the first place. I got it for the PC a few weeks after it was released, and I've probably gotten 1/3 of the way through the game. I just cant stand the combat mechanics in that game. Everything is so slow paced, and if you don't spend time pausing and setting up attacks for each party member, you're probably going to get overrun. Sure, depth is a good thing, but not at the cost of being so painfully slow (mostly due to pausing) that it barely feels like you're actually fighting things.

I wanted to get into that game pretty badly, and I liked the story for the most part too. I just couldn't get over the combat.

Did anybody actually read the video description?

"this gameplay is for xbox 360, the pc version will be the same is DA:O"

Consoles get consolized. PC should still be the classic RPG gameplay like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, DA:O, etc.

Honestly, I hope they "consolize" the combat more. The combat is what kept me away from DAO in the first place. I got it for the PC a few weeks after it was released, and I've probably gotten 1/3 of the way through the game. I just cant stand the combat mechanics in that game. Everything is so slow paced, and if you don't spend time pausing and setting up attacks for each party member, you're probably going to get overrun. Sure, depth is a good thing, but not at the cost of being so painfully slow (mostly due to pausing) that it barely feels like you're actually fighting things.

I wanted to get into that game pretty badly, and I liked the story for the most part too. I just couldn't get over the combat.

Then you should get it for console. The PC version is in line with classic PC RPG roots. It's not supposed to be a button masher. It's supposed to be slow and tactical.

i'm not bashing anyone that wants a console-like games, but i'm a huge fan of bioware's balder's gate and neverwinter nights games. as such, i want dragon ago to stay as it was.

I'm a 50/50 PC/Console gamer and DA2 has to stay like DAO on the PC. I played on both platforms and quite honestly 100% of the magic in DAO PC was the overwhelmingly hardcore RPG aspect of it all. Micro managing your squad and every action was what set the whole damn thing apart from every other over washed RPG on ANY platform, pc included.

If the PC version ends the same as this video, I would honestly argue that the game isn't being consolized, but that the developers seriously are changing the way the entire game plays. The 360 version of DAO could be just as hardcore and complex as the PC version, only difference being no isometric view (which I didn't use on the PC).

So if DA2 ends up action over RPG, its not the consoles to blame.. its the fucking developers for fucking ruining a core experience. 360 DAO was not a consolized version of the PC version.

Are you saying that the animations for the 360 will be different than the PC animations? I don't believe that that's correct. I hope it is, but I don't think so.

Those animations are... just... ridiculous.

DA had such beautiful, fluid animations. It was the one aspect of the game that did blow me away. As Sanders said above, it's now Devil May Care. Just... shambolic... utterly shambolic.

The ghost of Baldur's Gate is now gone forever. This is the final nail in the coffin. The dead will not rise. It's over.

Wow that does not bode well for DA2 ... I loved DA but if this is what its going to be like..

Pass.

That's the demo they had over PAX. Waited two hours (only booth I chose to wait this long) to play the demo and came away disgusted :(

I hate games like this, but then I also hated DA so I'm not really losing either way.

Never would I have imagined that a game, so clearly tactics based, would end up looking like that.

Granted, the gameplay likely will be just as strategic as DA - but Sanders is hitting the nail on the head when he says that the animations are reminiscent of Devil May Care. Those animations utterly destroy the atmosphere. The characters are leaping about like Ninjas in a cartoon that's been put on fast forward.

Just WTF?

I find it astonishing that the one and only thing I found to be charming about DA has been stripped away. It's almost as though Bioware is attempting to make me hate this game. Fire Mike Laidlaw immediately. Get that guy off this game right now.

I'm not going to completely give up hope - there's still time for changes to be made and the PC version may very well retain much of the traditional PCRPG style... but things are definitely not looking good.

It's just wild to me that they are totally ignoring what worked when they released Dragon Age. Despite all the money they made and all the glowing reviews etc., someone in Bioware is still thinking that it's not the way to go and they need to rethink it from the ground up? Truly mind boggling.

I heard a while ago that they were going to map certain attack buttons to the face pad. I interpreted that as if you press a button on the controller you do that attack.

However I will buy the PC version so this does not apply to me, thankfully.

Hopefully the PC version will feature this amount of blood because that's bad ass looking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xtk2ErS518&feature=related

lmao

Again, after I posted this earlier but nobody read it...and because nobody is reading the video description.

This is for the console version, not the PC version.

This is not news. Why?

DA:O had the same deal where the console version had arcade style controls and the PC version had traditional Bioware RPG controls. We went through this whole discussion 2 years ago already.

I wasn't here for that discussion. I hope you're right, it just seems like that would have required a major branch between the console and the PC versions, which most companies these days aren't willing to do.

I'm curious what the sales were were for the PC version compared to the console version. Can't find it after 5 minutes on google and its too late to continue the search!

I heard a while ago that they were going to map certain attack buttons to the face pad. I interpreted that as if you press a button on the controller you do that attack.

However I will buy the PC version so this does not apply to me, thankfully.

Hopefully the PC version will feature this amount of blood because that's bad ass looking.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xtk2ErS518&feature=related

lmao

That went over so many peoples' heads there. lol

looks to me like Bioware is dumbing down a PC game for consolers. Hopefully this will quiet the "OMGZ guys conzoles is ruinninz my leet PC gamez" crowd.

looks to me like Bioware is dumbing down a PC game for consolers. Hopefully this will quiet the "OMGZ guys conzoles is ruinninz my leet PC gamez" crowd.

I don't think that was the goal. The first DA sold quite well so it wasn't a matter of the console audience not "getting" it , I think the team in general just decided to shoot for a mixed genre kinda game where action was more consistent.

ME2 is a good example , it flows a ton better but the RPG elements a really completely gone compared to the first game which had (minor) inventory managed and a bit more range. ME2 is more an action game with a slight RPG influence with the cut scenes and out come at the end.

I think its a huge mistake to try and mix it up when you've already grounded people into expecting something more along the lines of KOTOR. KOTOR works and its a fantastic game and DA was a great game too ...

It looks like DMC4 fighting crap, totally unrealistic and otherwordly funny. That kind of mood destroys the lore of Dragon Age for me. Well, "take leap of faith", I guess. Let's hope for more wise combat system in the final product.

If not, I skip this game.

Again, after I posted this earlier but nobody read it...and because nobody is reading the video description.

This is for the console version, not the PC version.

This is not news. Why?

DA:O had the same deal where the console version had arcade style controls and the PC version had traditional Bioware RPG controls. We went through this whole discussion 2 years ago already.

No, we did see what you wrote. I think that you don't understand the issue here.

This isn't about controls. It's about animation. This game is animating like some kind of arcade ninja fighting game. This thing resembles a cartoon on fast forward. It's pathetic. Traditional, fantasy based RPGs should not look like Street Fighter.

It's got nothing to do with the controls.

I'm not buying DA2 until honest gamers have posted back on the PC forums that it hasn't been consolized, that's the only reliable way of knowing before you buy. I have a funny feeling they'll mess it up this time around, which is a shame because DAO was a really good game and I'd like to see more quality in the series.

Personally, I'm not that interested in DA2 either. I think I'm looking forward more to the new Neverwinter game due out Q4 2011 that actually has co-op in it. Co-op was the reason I played Baldur's Gate, Nevewinter Nights 1&2, etc.

The enemies moved around like power rangers enemies.

You know... the gameplay doesn't look much different than MMO's. Wait, was that a video of over-the-shoulder Diablo 3 action? :p The PC version will allow for top down probably. Diablo 3 anyone?

Lol at the people who didn't like the gameplay mechanics in Dragon Age. What the hell did you expect from a Bioware game? I don't think they've made a single non RPG, D&D style game. Your better off sticking with consoles because it doesn't require as much thought and planning. :rolleyes:

Wabe, I'm upset with you again. DAO was great. :p

New NWN? Omg...yes...

Seriously Wabe ? You're gonna start crying over a damn game that's not even finished or out the door yet ? Why don't you just wait until the damn games finished before you start bashing it ?
Got kinda old last year when DAO came out. Yes. I know you were so let down by DAO, blah blah blah ...Seriously dude, chill till the game has at least been in the hands of some reviewers.

Yes I do remember Wabe having a small cow over DAO last year. Comical at first but ended up just being annoying. Wabe I'm sure your more than backlogged with games right now anyways.

after they made a big deal that Dragon Age was the PC new IP to turn it into console trash so fast is truly upsetting.

Exactly. This is why I have low expectations for The Old Republic.

You should look in the Dragon Age Thread, there is a lot of great info on streamlining the combat - i tried playing without using the tactical slots and once i spent the time to learn them it made the game so much more enjoyable.

the best tip i came across was setting up your Melee party members to "attack" which ever person your controlled character is attacking - then switch to a ranged person and which ever enemy you are attacking, all your melee will attack too - it was a great way to direct the party without micro managing them.

You should look in the Dragon Age Thread, there is a lot of great info on streamlining the combat - i tried playing without using the tactical slots and once i spent the time to learn them it made the game so much more enjoyable.

the best tip i came across was setting up your Melee party members to "attack" which ever person your controlled character is attacking - then switch to a ranged person and which ever enemy you are attacking, all your melee will attack too - it was a great way to direct the party without micro managing them.

I discovered the "storm of the century" combo (blizzard + lightning storm) by accident which made any form of micro completely unneeded since it literally froze everything in place while they got mauled by the lightning storm...at least this was working where I am at in the game. However, that combo is a bit too cheap, so maybe if I pick the game up again I'll mess with the tactical slots a bit more to see what I can get.

Looks like they went with the Jade Empire battle system to me.

You had the normal attack you spam, then a power attack, and then you could press power and normal attack together for another attack that hit hard but had some vulnerability(usually it was slow) and there was some more stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edit: Looking at the video more closely, yeah that looks alot how Jade Empire played without the ninja flip and backflip dodge(maybe the rogue has it). The way Flemmeth was flinging those Ice attacks reminded me of the ice shard style too.

I'll give it a shot, I liked Jade Empire.

Last edited:
I hate games like this, but then I also hated DA so I'm not really losing either way.

Not that I hate RPGs, quite on the contrary. But DA:O's combat was just too much. So yeah. If the combat is like Riftsaw said, I may have a look though.

Back