• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is This Possible?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
4,137
I'm looking at buying a cheap NAS, but then I started thinking, and I'm wondering if this is possible. Instead of buying a single NAS, I could try combining two parts to create one, while keeping the versatility. If I took

This USB Male to 100BASE-T Female Adapter

And plugged it into this USB 2.0 enclosure

Would that allow me to turn the USB HDD enclosure into an NAS? If yes, would it support SAMBA and/or FTP? Forget that the two USB ends are not compatible, I could fix that with adapters, or choose another enclosure. It's just an example.

Thank you. :)
 
Probably not since you need software, OS, or firmware on the device to have it show up as a nas. Even the cheapest of NASes out there has that software or firmware
 
Last edited:
Back
Top