Is this loop a decent one?

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Hey...

PC is:

i7 2600k OC'd to (well, to be honest, I haven't tried on this chip yet. Only aiming for 4.7GHz with the lowest volts I can).
HD6990 (Danger Den WB)
The case I have is a FT03, and I am keeping it for it's small footprint. The radiator stand will mount almost everything on a shelf :)

and.... that's it. Maybe another HD6990 if the prices EVER drop, or I'll add in a WC'd GTX570 for Physx if I deem it worthwhile, lol.

SO, is this a decent, starting loop? Only WC I have sucessfully done before was an internally WC'd SG06 mITX case (CPU/GPU loop), otherwise, a failed P180mini loop and the H50 are all I can claim :(

Thank you!
-Jeremy

EDIT: I already have one spare GTAP13 from a bit of pathfinding work, so that's why there are only 3 on that order...

That is one expensive reservoir

2 double fan rads are way overkill for a processor.

I run a single double fan rad for my 2600K and even at 5.1ghz with benches running it never gets hotter than 65c with 2 Scythe Kama 120mm fans.

That is one expensive reservoir

2 double fan rads are way overkill for a processor.

I run a single double fan rad for my 2600K and even at 5.1ghz with benches running it never gets hotter than 65c with 2 Scythe Kama 120mm fans.
Well, I'm also moving a HD6990 that's going to see some serious OC (or attempts at a serious OC)... I was told each core of the HD6990 would output more heat than an overclocked i7 2600k?? I guess I forgot to mention the primary goal of this loop is silence, specifically the HD6990, but I decided to drop in a CPU WB, as my XPSC RASA from my mITX WC loop has a stripped thread, and I don't dare reuse it because of that.... :(
thank you1
Kill-coil? Otherwise it looks good.

ah, thanks!!

oh, wow, what a fail I am. I was dissasembling my RASA CPU WB to retap the screw holes, and I found it was one of the mounting bracket's screws that was stripped... the mounting bracket, I could care less about. The actual two halves of the WB were still fine, lol....

You're going to need some stronger fans than the 1150rpm GT's for the radiator you've selected. Look into 38mm high static pressure fans. If you're going for silence the San Aces undervolt the best.

I do have 4 gtap15 units laying around but they are noisey :(. Couldn't I still use a shroud with the the 1150 rpm fans? I only have 2gpu and one CPU to cool :( thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Jeremy
Posted via Mobile Device

Only 2 GPU and one CPU? I am doing that on a GT Stealth 420, and it barely keeps my GPU's under 65 C on simultaneous furmark and P95. That's with 3 1500 RPM high-static pressure 140 fans, Aerocool Silver Lightning (not sure how exaggerated it really is). And ambients of ~20-23 C. I would say the cooling capacity of my system would be approximately equal if not better than yours. Although, my airflow through my case is slightly restricted by the fact I don't have enough intake fans...

Seriously, get a fan controller. If you don't want those AP-15's, I'll take them off your hands ;)

Tsumi, I am hoping my 2600k punches out less heat than your 6 core beast to even out the playing field :p

As for airflow, it's being mounted in an open rack, externally :), so I am hoping the airflow is adequeate, but that's also why noise is even more critical to me than it normally would be :( I'll get a fan controller, thanks for the suggestions!!

Use a radiator with lower fin density (FPI: Fins Per Inch). Those 1150 RPM scythe GT AP-13's are great, and if you want that level of noise, you may as well go with a swiftech MCR-QP series radiator (if you want compact and inexpensive), or XSPC RX or HWlabs SR-1 or Thermochill for slightly better performance (however these radiators are more costly and thicker, possibly rendering a push-pull fan config more difficult).

I would have used 7/16" ID tubing on 1/2" barbs all around if I wanted something smaller and slightly easier to route than full 1/2" ID tubing, but you won't see much difference in performance regardless. I see that you want to use compression fittings, so I suppose that leaves you less flexibility... no big deal - it'll work fine, but if 7/16" ID comp-fittings are available, and they fit your blocks, then I'd take those.

I'm wondering how the new high flow Apogee XT v2 performs (compared to the original XT, new Koolance CPU-370, and EK supreme HF full copper). It can't be bad - it was already near the top.

ah, thank you :) I have one of the swiftech 240s with the integraeted res, from the failed P180mini loop. I guess I'll do some testing so you guys will know how badly I fail/somewhatdowell at this :(

Overclocked, I doubt that 2600k would put out less heat than my x6. Depends on how far you have it overclocked. As for me, I'm only clocking it as far as default voltage allows, which doesn't put out much increased heat at all. At 4.7 ghz, I think the heat it puts out would at best be comparable to my processor, and probably a lot higher. Mine is only at 3.7 ghz.

If you really want to go with those 1150's with those GTS radiators, get 4 more of them for push/pull with a shroud. Surface area-wise, my 3x140 beats out your two 2x120's (by a relatively small margin).

Back