Is this LGA 2011 socket pin bent? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by rllr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. rllr

rllr n00b

I just bought this board brand new from Newegg, and the plastic cover that should be over the socket was loose in the bag. There's a spot in the top left corner that appears darker and I can't tell if the pin is bent or what. I took a couple photos. Should I RMA this board?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

Yes it's bent, and yes you should return it

3. Josephson_Junction

Josephson_Junction [H]Lite

Yeah, that's bent alright. RMA it, and be prepared to defend yourself if it's claimed that you're responsible for the damage.

4. night_2004

night_2004 2[H]4U

5. phnguyen90

phnguyen90 Limp Gawd

:rolleyes: This is why I stopped buying stuff from Newegg

6. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

If they won't do an RMA it is possible to fix something like that. It takes a small screwdriver, a steady hand, a magnifier, and probably some luck. I have unbent a pin in a LGA socket and it functioned afterwards. However, an RMA is the better idea.

7. Jodie

Jodie n00b

Looks like you messed it up and now say it came that way.
    Why ?
    I see too much lint near top of socket, too many scratches by the lever, and a drop of thermal paste that you missed on the plastic.

8. DeathPrincess

DeathPrincess [H]ard as it Gets

It's been used by someone. Looks like they gave you a repackaged return. Return it to them and file charges if they try and wriggle out of it. :D

9. tacos4me

tacos4me Gawd

this. try and fix it if you think you have the hands for it. save yourself all the trouble that is RMA. you'll never get it back looking 100% but as long as it works, who knows, maybe it's just a ground.

10. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

QFT,

Unfortunately this looks like it is the case, whether the pin was bent before or after you or whoever used the board before you did this with an improper cpu installation is irrelevant.