Is this fixable or done for?

Hi dudes and girls, first time here. I come with a pretty serious question. I have a WD Black D10 8TB ext. harddrive that fell yesterday and a pretty important piece broke. I attached 3 photos. I'm hoping to find someone here that is familiar with soldering to tell me if its fixable or not. Please and thanks, have a nice day.

Attachments

• 20200621_135248.jpg
    20200621_135248.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200621_135502.jpg
    20200621_135502.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200621_135537.jpg
    20200621_135537.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
Is that on the actual hard drive or the enclosure (and supporting PCB)? If it's on the enclosure, you can just pull the drive and use any enclosure.

The bigger problem is from the pics you not only ripped off the connector, you ripped the traces right off the board. It can be repaired, but you will need decent soldering ability and you may have to solder on jumper wires and expose the traces on the board to complete the connections.

The bigger problem is from the pics you not only ripped off the connector, you ripped the traces right off the board. It can be repaired, but you will need decent soldering ability and you may have to solder on jumper wires and expose the traces on the board to complete the connections.

this

as the traces have been ripped off its will need bit more work then normal to get it soldered back on

the Drive it self can be plugged into a PC (you might need to cut the 3.3v power on the plug or kapton tape on the 3.3v pin on the hdd or the drive will stay in sleep mode) or another USB3 HDD 3.5 box

Yes, shuck it and see what it looks like inside. If the inside is hosed at the connector as well you may be able to swap the PCB of a good drive to retrieve your data. I did this years ago, I’m guessing it would still work. But you MUST swap it with the EXACT same PCB to have a shot.

If you want to give it a go, check out Louis Rossmann Or SolderingGeek on Youtube and search for trace repair, they have good, step-by-step videos showing what you would need to do.

I have repaired much worse. Looks like most of those pins go to parts on the same side. A bit of solder and stranded fine gauge cable and its an easy fix. Resolder the bracket to the posts and go from there. I would be more concerned with damage to the internals from the drop.

Back