Is this dangerous? (219k pics)

ender1598

Limp Gawd
I've got this MSI nforce1 motherboard in a computer I just wasn't using much anymore. I bought a new case for a file server and decided to use this board for that purpose. As I was transferring the board to the new case I noticed one of the capacitors has some stuff on it. It's also taller than the other three around it. Here's a couple pics I took. Notice the gunk at the bottom of the middle capacitor.
cap1.jpg

I included a partial view of the one next to it for comparison.
cap2.jpg

I'm basically wondering if this is something bad and it'll explode tomorrow or if I should just not worry about it. Thanks.

Looks pretty bad... I remember reading about many bad caps flooded the market a while back, never saw a picture. The bad caps are due to a company only stealing half the formula from another company then just made the caps anyway.

After looking at the board a bit more I noticed all the 1500 microF 10v caps are looking slightly bulged on top. There's 4 in a row of which the one is significantly taller as you can see in the pic. Another one near the AGP has a slight bulge. All the other caps are definitely flat.

it's a gamble really. I have a system running right now for my HTPC that with a 1900XP that's got bulging leaked caps for over a year that I know of. I was able to convince the wife I needed a new system and showed her that. I tossed in a $30 graphics card and use onboard sound. If you don't want your system to get damaged replace it. If you don't really care keep on running it till she kills over.

The problem lies in the fact that the caps regulate power. If a capacitor fails (which they obviously are) then it will fail to regulate the power correctly. This could damage some of the components directly attached to your motherboard. Not to mention the incredible instability of defective capacitors.
I wouldn't even bother. Look at some of the refurb boards newegg has - you should be able to get a good deal.

Yes, that's bad. Going along with everything that has already been recommended, you can just replace the caps easy enough. It's much cheaper then a new board.

Yes very bad, it looks like that mb is one with the "bad" caps. A subcontractor to the capacitor industry skimped on the formula for the dielectric goop inside the capacators that acts as an insulator between the internal metal foil layers. It get hot expands and you see the results. As mentioned in a previous post, basically you have a failure just waiting to happen. Either replace all the caps or toss it, I would definatley NOT put any components in that board that you cared antying about. It is going to fail and sooner rather than later.

There is even a guy who made a business out of replacing all of them for people A google of "bad caps motherboard" will tell you more than you want to know, Sorry man. :(

RMA it if possible, throw it away otherwise.

*GASP* noooo! dont throw it away! not if you dont have money anyways! buy the same capacitors with the same or greater voltage ratings from an electronics store and solder in replacements if you feel comfy replacing them and if you dont know how to solder then have an electronics shop replace them... if you dont then send me the board Ill pay shipping ^-~

Talonz said:
Yes, that's bad. Going along with everything that has already been recommended, you can just replace the caps easy enough. It's much cheaper then a new board.

well thats as [H]ard as it gets really in terms of this board..lol you really dont have much to lose..thoes are going to go out and damage everything...so i would eather replace the caps or get a new board...or...have you looked into RMAing the board?

my dad had a board like that, holdin it right now.. itd boot up maybe 50% of the time and be fine, just had to get it on and it would work great, just once you restart, it might take a couple times to get back on. im too lazy too hook up my 1600 in it, should do it though just for fun.

I thought replacing caps was a little more than soldering...

from what I heard, you had to melt the pins out, and you may (most likely) have to do a multi-layer PCB solder, which is not the easiest to do.

darw_n said:
I thought replacing caps was a little more than soldering...

from what I heard, you had to melt the pins out, and you may (most likely) have to do a multi-layer PCB solder, which is not the easiest to do.

I'm not sure what you mean. You just desolder the old cap and drop a new one in which is the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage rating.

MooCow said:
God damn you MSI....

It's not MSI's fault. Abit, Asus, ECS, PCCHIPS (shudder), Gigabyte and Soyo have ALL had motherboards with these faulty caps. Abit was the ONLY company to own up and offer an extended warranty on boards with failed caps.

Looks exactly like an old Abit i815 board I had... after it died anyway. :eek: Bulging caps are generally not a good sign I'd say.

Talonz said:
I'm not sure what you mean. You just desolder the old cap and drop a new one in which is the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage rating.

just cause you get the solder to stick doesnt mean it went to each layer inside the PCB...

DermicSavage said:
just cause you get the solder to stick doesnt mean it went to each layer inside the PCB...

I'm assuming the person who is soldering has decent skills. You shouldn't be attempting this if you don't know what you're doing anyway.

Back