• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this build fine?

andrus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
362
My budget's in the ~$1500 after taxes (why oh why must Newegg charge taxes to CA :mad: ) and shipping.

Waiting on the core 2 duo price drops.

Case: Black Tsunami with window $105
CPU: E6320 $160
Mobo: Gigabyte DS3 $120
HSF: Zalman 9500 (maybe an AC Freezer 7, Scythe, or Tuniq would be better?) $50
Video: 8800GTS 320 (if the 8600s come out in April I may go for the 8600GTS if the benches are decent enough.. although disappointed that it's 128bit) $270
RAM: G.Skill PC6400 2GB(1GBx2) Green version $170
PSU: Corsair 520W (would I be better off saving a few bucks or paying the premium for this one?) $120
HDD: Barracuda 7200.16 320GB $90
Sound; Soundblaster Audigy SE 7.1 $30 (would I be better off paying the extra for the X-Fi Gamer? Are the x-540s good enough for it?)
Speakers: X-540s

And if anyone cares, I'm upgrading from a piece of sheet 3 and a half year old eMachines. 2.2ghz celeron, 256ram.. Think I'll notice the difference :p ?
 
Looks good to me, and yes the PSU is an excellent selection.

What OS are you planning on running? If its Vista, then I've heard Creative's drivers are currently a mess, I've not experienced it first hand though so I'd get a more informed opinion on that.
 
By law they have to charge Tax because they operate in California. I know your pain :) The thing is I live only a few miles from one of newegg's warehouses. Shipping should be cheaper but eh..

Anyway, ditch the Zalman and go with the Scythe Ninja. It's a bit cheaper and I believe a better cooler. Oh and you don't have to pay $120 for that Corsair power supply. I got my Corsair power supply for $113 shipped from zipzoomfly.com. Now thats a deal!
 
Back
Top