Is this a realistic upgrade?

bernaby

Limp Gawd
Got a 1070g1 gigabyte and a 3570k running at 4.2 with 16 gigs of ram. Getting a 2k monitor and I'm wondering if it will be an upgrade visually to 1080p and if I will be able to run at decent framerates. I know I may have to lower some settings. What do you think? The new monitor has a wider color spectrum, 1.07 billion vs. 16.7 million, and of course twice the pixels. I just want a decent framerate and a better visual experience.. I've ben playing games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, and am looking forward the Fallout 76 and the new Battlefront for example.

Last edited:
What monitor?

But yes and yes.

I'm running 1440p with medium to low settings to get FPS games over 100+ FPS with minimal AA, and High/Ultra settings in single player games to get over 60 FPS on my 1070, my incoming 2070 should help on that front until something worth $800 comes down the pike.

1080p is 1995 man.

Yeah, I'd OC that 3570 to atleast 4.5ghz. You should be okay just have to lower some settings here and there.

Yeah, 1440p will be a nice upgrade in visual fidelity. It can probably look nicer in terms of colors depending on how old your current monitor is and what type of panel.

However, do keep in mind that you will be rendering twice the pixels, so performance will drop significantly. Even so, you should be able to comfortably get 60+ fps on Ultra settings on those games.

index.png

index.png

index.png

You will notice lower fps but it should still be more than playable. I am running dual e5-2670 v2 chips, 128gb of ram, and a gtx 1080. So my system is the same generation as your cpu and your cpu is better at gaming because of much higher single threaded performance. I also have slow ecc ram. My video card is a little stronger than yours but I run all my current games such as killing floor 2, pubg, overwatch, vermintide 2, and csgo at ultra settings 3440x1440 with very consistent fps over 60 for the most part. I think you will be fine.

The new monitor is a Samsung s32d850t. I mainly play single player RPG's and shooters. Old monitor is in my sig, a 27" Asus. Wanted a bigger screen and figured I should get a higher res screen to go with the increase in screen size.

I got the new monitor and I am very pleased. Definitely an upgrade. I am getting good framerates and seeing detail I never saw before in the games I play.

Back