• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a realistic upgrade?

bernaby

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
175
Got a 1070g1 gigabyte and a 3570k running at 4.2 with 16 gigs of ram. Getting a 2k monitor and I'm wondering if it will be an upgrade visually to 1080p and if I will be able to run at decent framerates. I know I may have to lower some settings. What do you think? The new monitor has a wider color spectrum, 1.07 billion vs. 16.7 million, and of course twice the pixels. I just want a decent framerate and a better visual experience.. I've ben playing games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, and am looking forward the Fallout 76 and the new Battlefront for example.
 
Last edited:
What monitor?

But yes and yes.

I'm running 1440p with medium to low settings to get FPS games over 100+ FPS with minimal AA, and High/Ultra settings in single player games to get over 60 FPS on my 1070, my incoming 2070 should help on that front until something worth $800 comes down the pike.

1080p is 1995 man.
 
Yeah, I'd OC that 3570 to atleast 4.5ghz. You should be okay just have to lower some settings here and there.
 
Yeah, 1440p will be a nice upgrade in visual fidelity. It can probably look nicer in terms of colors depending on how old your current monitor is and what type of panel.

However, do keep in mind that you will be rendering twice the pixels, so performance will drop significantly. Even so, you should be able to comfortably get 60+ fps on Ultra settings on those games.

index.png


index.png


index.png
 
You will notice lower fps but it should still be more than playable. I am running dual e5-2670 v2 chips, 128gb of ram, and a gtx 1080. So my system is the same generation as your cpu and your cpu is better at gaming because of much higher single threaded performance. I also have slow ecc ram. My video card is a little stronger than yours but I run all my current games such as killing floor 2, pubg, overwatch, vermintide 2, and csgo at ultra settings 3440x1440 with very consistent fps over 60 for the most part. I think you will be fine.
 
The new monitor is a Samsung s32d850t. I mainly play single player RPG's and shooters. Old monitor is in my sig, a 27" Asus. Wanted a bigger screen and figured I should get a higher res screen to go with the increase in screen size.
 
I got the new monitor and I am very pleased. Definitely an upgrade. I am getting good framerates and seeing detail I never saw before in the games I play.
 
Back
Top