• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a power supply issue?

kidstechno

Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
580
So I have a Cooler Master some-type-of 600w PSU, can't really find where I bought it, or what model but not too long ago I was experiencing dips or slowdowns when gaming. It's definitely not CPU throttling, but when I monitor the various rails of my PSU via Control Center, they're basically all over the place - noticing the 12v rail usually takes a large dip where the slowdowns occur. It's not my graphics card either because I ended up RMA'ing it and getting a new one and the problem still persisted. Is it time to upgrade my PSU? Or could this be other factors?
 
If it's an older CoolerMaster 600w, there's a high chance of it being a piece of crap.

I would recommend getting a good 500-550 watt power supply. Make sure it has been reviewed by [H]OCP, JonnyGuru, or HardwareSecrets (preferably all 3), and given a good rating.
 
Do you have a multimeter handy? It's my experience that most on-board voltage monitoring is meh at best, usually hovering around crap.

Better to test things yourself w/ the ATX plug. Short the green wire to one of the black ones to turn it on and go to down. Black is ground and as I recall, yellow is +12V, red it +5V and orange is +3.3V.
 
as Tsumi said more than likely that psu is a pos

550W as he suggested is a good power supply as long as you go with single gpu and do not use a custom bios to volt your gpu

some CPU to suggest is the CM V550S W, Seasonic G (try and ignore the s2ii (they tend to be loud)
 
Back
Top