Is this a power supply issue?

kidstechno

Gawd
So I have a Cooler Master some-type-of 600w PSU, can't really find where I bought it, or what model but not too long ago I was experiencing dips or slowdowns when gaming. It's definitely not CPU throttling, but when I monitor the various rails of my PSU via Control Center, they're basically all over the place - noticing the 12v rail usually takes a large dip where the slowdowns occur. It's not my graphics card either because I ended up RMA'ing it and getting a new one and the problem still persisted. Is it time to upgrade my PSU? Or could this be other factors?

If it's an older CoolerMaster 600w, there's a high chance of it being a piece of crap.

I would recommend getting a good 500-550 watt power supply. Make sure it has been reviewed by [H]OCP, JonnyGuru, or HardwareSecrets (preferably all 3), and given a good rating.

Do you have a multimeter handy? It's my experience that most on-board voltage monitoring is meh at best, usually hovering around crap.

Better to test things yourself w/ the ATX plug. Short the green wire to one of the black ones to turn it on and go to down. Black is ground and as I recall, yellow is +12V, red it +5V and orange is +3.3V.

as Tsumi said more than likely that psu is a pos

550W as he suggested is a good power supply as long as you go with single gpu and do not use a custom bios to volt your gpu

some CPU to suggest is the CM V550S W, Seasonic G (try and ignore the s2ii (they tend to be loud)

Back