Is thermal paste required?

EgyptBoy20

Gawd
Well, I am soon getting a new mobo and obviously, I'll have to transfer my CPU (see sig). Will I have to reapply thermal paste? Or can I just keep the same stuff on there?

in danger of not getting eather good contact to your CPU or in danger of not getting good tempuratures... soemtimes the paste has hardoned and you cannont under any cercomstances use that shit.... just do it and make us all happy

EgyptBoy20 said:
Put it like this: Am I in any imminent danger if I go with out it?

Ive been going about a month re-using some AS5 on my 3.0E P4, i upgraded my mobo and vid card, i heared that it might be the temp sensor that causes different temp readouts along different manufacturers, but used to get around 39~41c idle, now i get 44~47c idle, this isn't soo bad (still really cool to the touch on the HSF), but will probably try to re-apply some AS5/ceramique when i can order online, cause there is no way i'm paying $10.99 for a lil syringe of AS5 from compusa!!

So short answer, if it ain't dry, re-use it :)

n3g471v3 d3c1b3l said:
I would reapply, dude. not worth frying your cpu

Not going to fry a CPU for using old TP, only risk a lil damage using no TP before thermal protection kicks in

On another note, I just did re-apply some new AS5 (found some hiding that i forgot about) and did clean up the old stuff, booted up and still running the EXACT same temps as i had with the old AS5, maybe after a week or two the stuff might get a lil better, but my point stands, if its not dry, u can reuse it without danger.

RogueTrip said:
there is no way i'm paying $10.99 for a lil syringe of AS5 from compusa!!

Unless you're doing a lot of ramsinks, that little tube lasts a LONG time.

iJeff said:
Unless you're doing a lot of ramsinks, that little tube lasts a LONG time.

I can get the same stuff from a local small computer shop for $5, actually the syringe i just found i got for $5, even the employee at compusa agree'd its too much.

Maybe i'm a tightwad, but i'm not one that likes to overspend when the money could go else where, like better computer parts/cars :)

It's not required but highly recommended. As long as you make good contact with the HS and the IHS it should be ok, but it won't be optimal in transferring the waste heat to the HS. If it's a temporary thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

RogueTrip said:
Ive been going about a month re-using some AS5 on my 3.0E P4, i upgraded my mobo and vid card, i heared that it might be the temp sensor that causes different temp readouts along different manufacturers, but used to get around 39~41c idle, now i get 44~47c idle, this isn't soo bad (still really cool to the touch on the HSF), but will probably try to re-apply some AS5/ceramique when i can order online, cause there is no way i'm paying $10.99 for a lil syringe of AS5 from compusa!!

So short answer, if it ain't dry, re-use it :)

Dont be so cheap, and buy the stuff. Or you could look online and find some cheaper.

The TIM (thermal interface material) that comes with OEM heat sinks actually "melts" which makes really good thermal contact but IS NOT REUSEABLE. Even silicone based pastes don't flow on the microscopic level like they did out of the tube once they get good and hot; re-use is false economy. Will your CPU fry if you don't use an interface of some type....maybe so. I'm a cheap ass too, but there are times where spending a little is the only thing to do. Clean the CPU and HSF up really good with some rubbing alcohol, dry it off, get some AS and treat that CPU right. Five bucks....?? Come on....even I'm not THAT cheap..... :D

Good Luck - B.B.S.

great words.... hes right.. i would never think twice about re-using old paste

re using it risks air pockets forming, and air is a much worse conductor of heat.

spend $5 on some thermal paste :) You'll probably need it sometime in the future anyway..

ive actually used none before , an it worked out fine .. but it does help to use it , when i did use none it changed the temps by like 7-13C

Well, the I have read that there is a thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink. That should be fine, correct? I don't wanna spend $11 on a 3.5 gram tube of compund. The mobo should be here next week, the system has been off for a couple of days.

If you have just bought a retail processor, it comes with a heatsink that does have a thermal compound already applied to it.

I don't know of any other heatsinks that come with it pre applied..

but if you do have a new retail heatsink, you can just use it and you don't have to buy Arctic Silver or anything. The difference would probably only be a couple degrees difference, and really only matters if you are going to overclock.

What I have isn't a new one. I was thinking that I could let the PC run a bit too soften up the pad, then just reapply it on the new mobo when it gets here.

it's not meant to be re used.. you really should spend $5 and get AS ceramique or AS5.

If you re use the thermal compound that is already on the processor/heatsink, there's a good chance air bubbles will form and it's a lot better to have a thermal compound filling the gaps than air.

I have re used them in the past though, when nothing was around. Just temporary though, to test processors/motherboards. If you really don't have $5 you can re use it, but check the temps immediately. If it goes above 60C under load, it's getting too hot.

if its working now with the same paste theres NO REASON for it not to continue to work on another board unless you screw up somehow

but i agree with everyone else just buy the damn AS5 sheesh

I agree with the others. The little you save by not buying a new tube of paste is hardly worth it.

Wheter or not you can attain favorable temps without a TIM really depends on how flat & even
the CPU and sink surfaces are. Some heatsinks can have a very dished & rough surface
from the production process. This is where TIM is needed most.

Post your mailing adderess and I well send you a tube of Ceramique and how to apply it.
I will mail it to you at no cost. OK

CrAzYsPyDeR said:
ive actually used none before , an it worked out fine .. but it does help to use it , when i did use none it changed the temps by like 7-13C

Well, if you lap both the sink and spreader at high enough grit and extremely flat you can get away without using it.

You spent alot of money for the hardware. Just buy some $5-$10 paste and apply it. Is it worth the risk?

Shmuckety said:
You spent alot of money for the hardware. Just buy some $5-$10 paste and apply it. Is it worth the risk?

Exactly.
Also, its already been said, but the thermal pad that comes on stock heatsink is NOT meant to be reused.

I'll get a tube of Ceramique for $3.99 shipped. Looks like its worth it. How do I apply the stuff? What do I use to clean the older stuff?

Don't get AS5, get OCZ +5... it's exactly the same and cost half as AS5. Trust me.

EgyptBoy20 said:
I'll get a tube of Ceramique for $3.99 shipped. Looks like its worth it. How do I apply the stuff? What do I use to clean the older stuff?
Have you looked at the websyte listed on the side of the tube? Nice set if instructions there. ;)
noobtech said:
Don't get AS5, get OCZ +5... it's exactly the same and cost half as AS5. Trust me.
Indeed. Nevin from Arctic Silver has confirmed OCZ +5 is rebadged AS5. So is Mad Dog and PC Toys paste.

To ans. your question about appling and cleaning I use Artic cleaner 1 to clean and than I use Artic cleaner 2 to remove all deposits.

To apply I use a differant method than most people. I first apply a little ceramique to the heat sink with a glad bag between my finger and the ceramique I spread it all around than i use a lent free rag to remove it . This fills the micro pores on the heat sink. Than I also apply a little dab to the chip and again spread it around using glad bag very thinnly. than i put a rice sized dad on the middle of the chip and install the heat sink.

dude, remove that crappy pad... if you send me a SASE... I will send you some thermal paste! PM if you want it.

I know this is off topic but if you plan on O/C that 2.8 @ 3.4 I would be remist if I didn't suggest A good quality heat sink for you and up until just recently there was none I would recomend but after installing Zalman CNPS9500 LED on my daughters PC . I have to say buy this . It also comes with the heat sink compound.

if you don't use any, you'll probably end up with air gaps b/w the HSF and the cpu..which is a Bad Thing (tm)

m0unds said:
if you don't use any, you'll probably end up with air gaps b/w the HSF and the cpu..which is a Bad Thing (tm)
LOL :p
I don't feel like dropping more cash into this rig. I already invested in old technology by grabbing the X850XT for $249. It'll have to make due until I build myself an AM2/SLI rig.

Back