is there are reason for SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate_Bot said:
SLI isnt for everyone, It's for people who have monster screens, and game at 2000xwhatever res. Obviously thats not mainstream, but most people that can spend that much on a monitor, can spend some more on a video card.

SLI For an upgrade path is fine, but if you are planning to buy a second card, I would advise waiting and seeing how the R520 and g80 works it, if the specs are as good as rumored, it should be one hell of a year.Can we close this thread already?

I touched up your reply to make it a lot more sensible, now closing this thread would be a good idea.

Terra said:
Computerpro3:

Now that is sweet!
Now I just wonder what the new batch of "excuses" will be..but they will surely sound lame compared to a 1000$

Who would turn down a 1000$?!

Terracide - Except perhaps a fannybooi with nothing but FUD to back him up :)

Well I figure I should be safe, because if the top benchers in the world are still 5k behind, and the cost of triple cascade cooling is around 5-6k total, and the r520 isnt coming out this month, I should be in the clear. :)

Besides, I could always overclock and nail a 24-25k if they cut the 5k breathing room down a little. Not to mention the 4000+ san deigo thats on preorder ;) And the fact that my prommie is about to be sent to chilly1 or pc-ice for some modifications (r402 regass, new cap line, chilly1 block, should hit around -45C loaded, which is better than vapochill LS and mach II gt).

I would think I'm unbeatable, at least for a month.

Hate_Bot said:
SLI isnt for everyone, It's for people who have monster screens, and game at 2000xwhatever res. Obviously thats not mainstream, but most people that can spend that much on a monitor, can spend some more on a video card.

SLI For an upgrade path is fine, but if you are planning to buy a second card, I would advise waiting and seeing how the R520 works it, if the specs are as good as rumored, it should be one hell of a card.

Can we close this thread already?

Some people don't like to wait...
And dont worry..I think Computerpro3 closed this thread ;)
But why don't you find a ATI-buddy and score the 1000$?
Then you both got the funds for the R520 when it comes out?

Terra - Funny how you totally "disreguarded" the 1000$...perhaps on purpose? :rolleyes:

LOL. This thread is great. Anyone that is arguing against the benefits of SLI is uneducated and probably an ATi drone. Also, when ATi releases their AMR, all you dipshits that are bashing nVidia now, will be saying how much better the ATi solution is......but that's because "it's not SLI, it's AMR and it's better because I say so". nana nana naaaaa na

There is always going to be some issue with new tech and always the nay sayers. Everyone scoffed at Futuremark for 3DMark03 because it was too graphics card dependable. We can see now that they had an eye on the future......mark. Most of the new games released will support SLI and those running SLI will reap the benefits.

Terra said:
Some people don't like to wait...
And dont worry..I think Computerpro3 closed this thread ;)
But why don't you find a ATI-buddy and score the 1000$?
Then you both got the funds for the R520 when it comes out?

Terra - Funny how you totally "disreguarded" the 1000$...perhaps on purpose? :rolleyes:

Wtf are you talking about? $1000?

Im confused...

Im not buying 2 R520s at once...

and honest to god, why do you still keep calling me a fan boy and all that, HOW AM I EXHIBITING !!!!!!-ISM?! I am not saying anything bad about Nvidia, or SLI or whatever

*Ignore list*

Computerpro3:

I think your are safe too ;)
But KODUS for your standing 1 month offer!!!
That is sweeping all the FUD aside, and revealing who is spreding fannybooi-FUD..and who is speaking facts ;)

So, IMHO, this will play out like this:
Fannybooi's will disregard the money...and still spread FUD...
The serious ones, on the other hand will give it a go.

And thus will we get the [H]ard seperate from the fannybooi's
Their post will reveal them :)

Terra - I am impressed...not often that I get that :D

Hate_Bot said:
Wtf are you talking about? $1000?

Im confused...

I am talking about the PRICEMONEY that Computerpro3 offered a few post back:

"Come on atifanatics, surely someone can beat his paltry 18k score with triple cascade phasechange.....or is SLI just that good?

Still waiting. $1000 paypal to whoever beats me from hardforums in the next month with an ATI card."

Im not buying 2 R520s at once...

Why not...you have done nothing but praise this(the R520) unreleased hardware...and surely 2 x "GREAT" must be better than 1 x "GREAT"? :)

*Ignore list*

Talking like a true fannybooi..when someone calls your bluff..you fold and run :)

Terra - And Thanks..I will most certainly enjoy the ignore :D

Terra said:
I am talking about the PRICEMONEY that Computerpro3 offered a few post back:

"Come on atifanatics, surely someone can beat his paltry 18k score with triple cascade phasechange.....or is SLI just that good?

Still waiting. $1000 paypal to whoever beats me from hardforums in the next month with an ATI card."

Why not...you have done nothing but praise this(the R520) unreleased hardware...and surely 2 x "GREAT" must be better than 1 x "GREAT"?

Talking like a true fannybooi..when someone calls your bluff..you fold and run :)

Terra - And Thanks..I will most certainly enjoy the ignore :D

I had to turn of the ignore cuz I was curious (morbid curiousity) of what you said.

What bluff f mine did you call exactly?

and No I wont be getting 2 R520s at once, I might get one when it releases, and one later, just as how it would be smart with SLI like that.

And also, benchmarks are pointless to me. OMG YOU HAVE 5 MORE POINTS etc, I dont really care, all I care about is gaming. and also, why shouldnt I praise the R520, it looks like its going to be a great card, and there must be a reason 2 console makers are using the architecture in there systems ;)

I honestly have no Idea where your getting that Im a fan boy from, yes I might perfer ATI a bit, but thats just because its more available. Theres nothing wrong with Nvidia, there cards, SLI and all that. and I am surprised you keep beating this dead horse into the ground, I mean, wtf? In the past number of posts, I have said nothing bad about your precious nvidia and SLI and such. and I dont understand why you have such a big problem with the R520, also,

Terra said:
And dont worry..I think Computerpro3 closed this thread

I dont understand, you completely agree with Computer saying the G80 will be good, yet you have a problem with me saying the R520 will be good? Im not saying the G80 will be bad, Im usr eit will be great, but at least we know something (Rumors, and an announcement from ATI) about the R520. What is your problem with the R520? a little TO much brand loayalty perhaps ;)

Shifra said:
Point was he said if you want max performance you should get SLI, this exists for only 1 resoltion and an uncommon one at that. SLI shows nothing at 1024x768 which is the most popular resolution, nothing at 800x600 which is used quite a bit, and about 10-15% gains over a single high end at 1280x1024. You know not everyone has a 22 inch monitor, do you even think that most people dont use a said resolution because it makes text unbearable to read on games. SLI shows shit for performance gains unless its under optimal conditions. You limit yourself to basically one resolution. All he has been doing is playing these stupid avoidance games (for example saying "you had some good points but blew them away, (so i'll just not answer them kekekeke"). SLI is not for all around performance. Its for very limited performance gains under optimal conditions. I have yet to see a D3D game that shows even 50% improvment over a single card under SLI when the conditions are good for it. Yet its defended how its worth paying 2x the price for less then half the boost. Doom 3 can go fuck itself as far as im concerned. 1 Engine showing a gain is a joke to base your reasoning on. And aside from Quake, i havent heard of any other announced titles on the engine yet. I cant wait for the Unreal 3 engine to get out in the open, Nvidia brags heavily about an almost 100% boost over a single card. Anyone who got an SLI mobo should of also recieved that peice of paper with propaganda on it.

This has got to be the silliest "argument" I've seen in a long time.

How many people with $800-$1000 worth of video cards paid that to look at some lame Voodoo 2 resolutions like 800X600 or 1024X768? Why the hell would you? We all know games look better the higher the resolution.
On 6800GT/U SLI, you start at 16X12 and work up from there. :rolleyes:

No 50% gain on D3d? BS!
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page7.asp
82 vs 52fps for Halo at 16X12 4X8X. 30/52=57% gain

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page8.asp
74 vs 44fps at Far Cry at 16X12 4X8X. 30/44=68% gain

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf6800u-sli_19.html
65 vs 36fps at HL2 16X12 4X16X. 29/36= 80% gain

So there's three of the biggest D3d games around showing 57-80% improvement, and you say you've "yet to see 50% at D3d".

You should be ASHAMED of yourself. You come into this thread first spouting baseless guesses about ATI hardware we should all wait to buy, I guess because you think it will be good, out soon and cheap.

When I and others call you on that, you shift to posting outright LIES about hardware that DOES exist and is easily tested.

Why anyone would take anything you say seriously after this, I don't know. If you don't work for ATI in the rumor mill, you should forward your resume. I am sure they have a place for you.
:(

We are not talking about 5 points...but 5000!!! points ;)
And I think Computerpro3 didnt't limit him self to only 3Dmark..but ask him...It's his challenge, not mine :)
And untill someone claims the 1000$ my sig holds TRUE! :)

Terra - 6800U SLI > X850XT-PE :D

Terra said:
We are not talking about 5 points...but 5000!!! points
And I think Computerpro3 didnt't limit him self to only 3Dmark..but ask him...It's his challenge, not mine
And untill someone claims the 1000$ my sig holds TRUE!

Terra - 6800U SLI > X850XT-PE :D

well thats fairly obvious, of course 2caeds>1 card, but most people cant afford 2 cards/dont want them...

Comparing SLId Ultras to an X850XT-PE is like comparing a Lamborghini to that rocket car that broke the speed limit, both are cool and fast, but its pretty obious whos faster...

now 2 X850XT-PEs vs 2Ultras... that would be interesting,, ;)

Hate_Bot said:
I dont understand, you completely agree with Computer saying the G80 will be good

Don't lie..please link to where I state that?!
Or I will call you a LYING fannybooi!

yet you have a problem with me saying the R520 will be good?

I wil bash people trying to praise NVIDIA's next gen, based on purely speculations, so don't feel "special"...

Im not saying the G80 will be bad,

I don't know if the G80 will suck or rock..NOBODY does currently!
As I now NOTHING about how how the R520 will preform...
When you try and use arguments about UNRELEASED hardware, and even ADVICE people to wait for a piece of hardware, where you got NO CLUE about the preformance...
THAT makes you a fannybooi..because all talk about the preformance of the G80 and the R520 is FUD..unless you got a benchmark to back you up!
Speculations/personal "dreams" are stupid arguments...and totaaly beside the pint in this debate..wich is SLI(NIVIDIA's Highend solution) vs ATi's current gen.

Im usr eit will be great, but at least we know something (Rumors, and an announcement from ATI) about the R520. What is your problem with the R520? a little TO much brand loayalty perhaps ;)

If the R250 beats NVIDIA's next gen..guess what card I will buy?
The one that has best preformance/features!
Can you say the same thing?
No...didn't think so...

Terra - 6800U SLI > X850XT-PE! :D

Hate_Bot said:
well thats fairly obvious, of course 2caeds>1 card

Bingo, that's why I offered the money. To get people to shut the hell up and realize that 2 cards are better than one, I don't care the brand (not accusing you, just ridiculing people that claim that one card is nearly as fast as two). And of course, I'm not going to have to give out the money, because of that obvious fact.

Comparing SLId Ultras to an X850XT-PE is like comparing a Lamborghini to that rocket car that broke the speed limit, both are cool and fast, but its pretty obious whos faster...

Bingo again

That it would, and TBH I'd prefer it as I much prefer ATI's driver program (never thought I'd say that a few years ago). This beta driver shit and non-whql with futuremark, not to mention months in between official releases is kinda gay. Not to mention that the 2x x850xt-pe's would be much faster. But unfortunatley, that option is not available right now, nor will it be for the next few months, and since I want the fastest now, I got the 6800 ultra sli.

It's that simple, elemantary logic really. I don't get why some people debate it.

Hate_Bot said:
well thats fairly obvious, of course 2caeds>1 card,

Some people don't see it that way..but now they will have a hard time explaning why they don't collect the 1000$...

but most people cant afford 2 cards/dont want them...

Again..SLI is HIGHEND..not for every one...
And don't want them?
Who would resuse 2x6800U's if they where free?
Only a stupid fannybooi...

Then why needed computerpro3 to make his offer then?
Because all the debaters agreeded that SLI is better than one single X850XT-PE for HIGH resolution with all eyecandy on? :rolleyes:
Think again...

And not possible, as ATi's current gen has FEWER features than NVIDA's current gen.
Not saying that it will be the same with next gen...nobody knows that...not me..and not YOU.

Terra...

Terra said:
And not possible, as ATi's current gen has FEWER features than NVIDA's current gen.
Not saying that it will be the same with next gen...nobody knows that...not me..and not YOU.

Terra...

Apperently, the X850s are supposed to work with AMR

understandable, since ATI has been using AMR for quite some time. but nothing is confirmed..

Im comfortable with my current system in the meantime, especially since im waiting for Dual core opties

Hate_Bot said:

SLI For an upgrade path is fine, but if you are planning to buy a second card, I would advise waiting and seeing how the R520 works it, if the specs are as good as rumored, it should be one hell of a card.

Can we close this thread already?

I'm sure you'd like it closed so we can get back to guessing if the R520 will be any good, someday.

However, the above is just wrong.

LOTS of people have LCDs and monitors capable of 16X12, and that is where SLI starts to annihilate all single cards.

Apperently, the X850s are supposed to work with AMR

understandable, since ATI has been using AMR for quite some time. but nothing is confirmed..

Im comfortable with my current system in the meantime, especially since im waiting for Dual core opties

sigh....and here we go again....bet he asks you "OMG I NEED PROOF ATI HAS BEEN USING AMR FOR SOME TIME"

let it go guys:

atiFANatics: outbench me or drop the arguement
Nvidiots: stop saying the same things over and over and over about feature sets

computerpro3 said:
sigh....and here we go again....bet he asks you "OMG I NEED PROOF ATI HAS BEEN USING AMR FOR SOME TIME"

let it go guys:

atiFANatics: outbench me or drop the arguement
Nvidiots: stop saying the same things over and over and over about feature sets

Im not saying its for sure, Im just saying theres a possibility, and rumors.

I dont understand why some people get so pissed of about this.

I mean, everyone is saying Dual core Athlons will own, but how can we be sure?

We cant stop here... this is bat country

Don't worry...even I get tired of battleling "hear-say" ;)
Besides future hardware got nothing to do with this debate.

And I will consider this thread dead...unless somebody takes up your challenge...
No point in debating more, the test has been laid out.
Take it..or hush ;)

Terra - Shit...I was supoosed to go to bed hours ago :S *LOL*

Rollo said:
This has got to be the silliest "argument" I've seen in a long time.

How many people with $800-$1000 worth of video cards paid that to look at some lame Voodoo 2 resolutions like 800X600 or 1024X768? Why the hell would you? We all know games look better the higher the resolution.
On 6800GT/U SLI, you start at 16X12 and work up from there. :rolleyes:

No 50% gain on D3d? BS!
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page7.asp
82 vs 52fps for Halo at 16X12 4X8X. 30/52=57% gain

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page8.asp
74 vs 44fps at Far Cry at 16X12 4X8X. 30/44=68% gain

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf6800u-sli_19.html
65 vs 36fps at HL2 16X12 4X16X. 29/36= 80% gain

So there's three of the biggest D3d games around showing 57-80% improvement, and you say you've "yet to see 50% at D3d".

You should be ASHAMED of yourself. You come into this thread first spouting baseless guesses about ATI hardware we should all wait to buy, I guess because you think it will be good, out soon and cheap.

When I and others call you on that, you shift to posting outright LIES about hardware that DOES exist and is easily tested.

Why anyone would take anything you say seriously after this, I don't know. If you don't work for ATI in the rumor mill, you should forward your resume. I am sure they have a place for you.

Interesting, im an idiot, but you and a few others were defending SLI as a great idea and "way to see games the developers wanted you to see". So what the hell is it, for the few and the bold or a good thing that should be widly embraced. Cannot believe some people were stupid enough to defending the cost/performance. When a new card comes out you see increases at all resolutions at all settings SLI does not give you next gen specs for 2 reasons, the increases are only under prime circumstances, and you have no idea how much better any given next card will be. Once again for the cheap seats, the R520 is TAPPED, if you dont know what it means, the get out of this thread and shut up. So sick of hearing paper launch and vapor crap. You'll have benchmarks in your face within 4 months, not 6, not 8, not a year. You spend X amount to brag only to be shut down again very fast in terms of technology lifetime. Should read what you actually type, cant believe the inflated self image do to being able to waste money. I certainly love your benchmarks used in defence Rollo, so which is it we have been comparing SLI to the whole time, the X800XL or the X850XT PE, or the 6800U. If you guessed X850XT PE you win a star. Perhaps you are retarded and need things spelled out real slow, so i'll retype just for you, SLI has never shown gains over an X850XT or PE of 50% or more in a D3D game.

I will no longer add to this threads life span.

Shifra - Terra stop posting FOK like a MIG on a SMO.

Wow, good job arguing on the PC all night on a Friday...

It is funny people saying a high score in 3dmark is the reason for SLI. :eek:

fallguy said:
Wow, good job arguing on the PC all night on a Friday...

It is funny people saying a high score in 3dmark is the reason for SLI. :eek:

To some people 3DMark is a big deal- I'd guess the guy with the current high score would be one of those.

Shifra said:
Interesting, im an idiot, but you and a few others were defending SLI as a great idea and "way to see games the developers wanted you to see". So what the hell is it, for the few and the bold or a good thing that should be widly embraced. Cannot believe some people were stupid enough to defending the cost/performance. When a new card comes out you see increases at all resolutions at all settings SLI does not give you next gen specs for 2 reasons, the increases are only under prime circumstances, and you have no idea how much better any given next card will be. Once again for the cheap seats, the R520 is TAPPED, if you dont know what it means, the get out of this thread and shut up. So sick of hearing paper launch and vapor crap. You'll have benchmarks in your face within 4 months, not 6, not 8, not a year. You spend X amount to brag only to be shut down again very fast in terms of technology lifetime. Should read what you actually type, cant believe the inflated self image do to being able to waste money. I certainly love your benchmarks used in defence Rollo, so which is it we have been comparing SLI to the whole time, the X800XL or the X850XT PE, or the 6800U. If you guessed X850XT PE you win a star. Perhaps you are retarded and need things spelled out real slow, so i'll retype just for you, SLI has never shown gains over an X850XT or PE of 50% or more in a D3D game.

I will no longer add to this threads life span.

Shifra - Terra stop posting FOK like a MIG on a SMO.

A. You don't KNOW we'll have R520 benchmarks in 4 months. Remember the 5800U, TSMC couldn't produce enough of a new design for nV to release a chip that had been finished by nV for months?
B. Even if benchmarks are "in front of us " in four months, ATI has proven time and time again in the last year the "benchmarks in front of us" don't equate to "cards available in the retail channel".
C. I should have known you were referring to a 50% increase in performance over a X850XT PE? Why? You said,
I have yet to see a D3D game that shows even 50% improvment over a single card under SLI when the conditions are good for it.
. Not being a mind reader at a carnival, I didn't know "a single card" meant a "X850XT or PE". My professors back at UW-Madison would have marked this "Lack of specificity" for you. :rolleyes:
Nonetheless, you're still just spread FUD and lies:
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/sli-performance-17.html
Far Cry is a D3d DX9 game. The 6800U SLI runs it at 87fps. The X800XT PE is at 47fps. 40/47fps is 85%. Unless you think a marginally faster X850XT PE is 36% faster (more like 5%) than a X800XT PE, you have just seen a benchmark of a D3d game where SLI is much closer to 100% faster than 50%, the level you said it could not achieve.

D.
So sick of hearing paper launch and vapor crap
I bet you are, as I'm starting to think you're in the employ of our friends to the North. The facts are there for anyone to see though: X800XT Phantom Edition- late. X800 Xtra Late edition-late. X700XT- MIA. And those are on a two year old core design. What's going to happen when they bring their first "new" core design out? Early? :rolleyes:

E.
You spend X amount to brag only to be shut down again very fast in terms of technology lifetime.
I've been using SLI for months, if something faster comes out in 4 months why would I be sad? I spent most of 2005 gaming at next gen levels. You spent it waiting for a cheaper deal.

How is it time and time again? The X800XT/PE was a horrible launch, all others have been pretty well. FYI, NV doesnt have the best launch record. PCI-E 6800GT/U? Dont make it sound as if its one-sided.

Quit the talk and take the test? :)
And score a 1000$!!! :)
(if you win)
Simpe as that now! :D

Terracide - Actions talks...fannybooi's walk :)

Can we all at least agree on the following?

- if you've got the money to spend on it, SLI can give substantial increases in gaming performance with particular types of games.
- SLI can be quite tricky to set up, with both cards often having to match down to the minor revision of the firmware.

And as far as ATi goes:

- if we are to take the rumours, together with a spoonful of salt, for being true, then ATi's new line of cards might be very interesting, provided they're released in time.

Let's agree on this: AMR is the gayest name ever. It isn't even a cool sounding acronym like SLI. Sounds like a half-ass marketing/branding strategy to differentiate themselves and the best that could do was AMR?!?! Sounds stupid to me. Bitchpls.

zeebs said:
Let's agree on this: AMR is the gayest name ever. It isn't even a cool sounding acronym like SLI. Sounds like a half-ass marketing/branding strategy to differentiate themselves and the best that could do was AMR?!?! Sounds stupid to me. Bitchpls.

First of all, AMR sounds cool, like a type pf plain fighter.

second of all AMR is just a street name, no one knows what ATI is going to be calling it.

So ya, stop being such a fan boy, AMR is cool, SLI was also just a marketing trick (Voodoos multi rendering was called SLI)

zeebs said:
LOL.... and SLI is so original. :rolleyes: AMR will be very ghey if it is late and not up to par with the competition.

fallguy said:
Avoiding the word filter makes you cool!

Not stepping up to the challenge makes you a fannybooi :)

Terra - I will now disregard posts from those not ready to put action behind their claims :)

Komataguri said:
You do realize anything over 35 or sp FPS makes nill difference.

Unplayable at 38fps?

Hah. UNplayable is in the 20s and lower, my friend.

When that's average or max FPS it will drop into the 20's.

On the name thing, AMR is gay. When I hear that I think of the old AMR slots. Where you installed the cheesy Audio Modem Riser.

On a final note I agree completely with Rollo.

Terra said:
Not stepping up to the challenge makes you a fannybooi :)

Terra - I will now disregard posts from those not ready to put action behind their claims :)

No it doesnt. I never said a single card is faster than SLI, when SLI is working properly. Disgregard my posts all you want, doesnt make a difference to me. Nor does it make you right.

Mod Edit - ...enough. I will remind you guys about the rules you all agreed to when you registered. You will all need to find a way to make you point without personal insults or namecalling or adjustments can and will be made to your membership status. Enough is really enough, gentlemen.....:rolleyes: B.B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back