is there a website for PS3 vs 360 game comparison (read further for reasoning)

xFuryofFivex

[H]ard|Gawd
i had rainbow 6 vegas 2 for ps3 for about a year or so. Well someone convinced me to purchase the 360 version.
of course i was skeptical at first (being i buy most of games for the ps3,im weary of standard dual-layer dvd's against blu-ray disc, irrelevant i know.)
i played terrorist hunt(dont care much for single player)
I noticed that the 360 aside from small graphical glitches(pink spots, guys glitching into the wall, guns just firing non-stop) the game felt much better.All around much smoother. graphics seemed better(but neglible) the controls felt better. Maybe its because the analogs are positioned so your hands dont hit each other.

Now for that reasoning alone..id like to see a site, or a place i can go to maybe find reviews of people that have played both games. would hate to post a thread for every comparison

Yeah, Eurogamer has done pretty much every game anyone would ever care about comparing. They go into some pretty heavy duty details in some cases too.

The 360 controls work well for Vegas because of the functions of the triggers in how they have you lean against the walls. And older PS3 games suffered because companies where having a hard time grasping the programming of the PS3. Also, games have graphical differences because the 360 is Direct X, where the PS3 is OpenGL. They are going to look different. Gamespot offers PS3/360 comparisons and 9 times out of 10 they say the versions are identical.

yeah i watched the review.. but this wasnt just for vegas. was a general question. because i prefer ps3.but not all games are created equal...look at the orange box for ps3/360... valve wont even touch the ps3 version, so EA does the porting.

dang,

just looked over some of those screenshots and I tell you what, anyone who says the ps3 is consistantly better in the gfx department is just nuts...

dang,

just looked over some of those screenshots and I tell you what, anyone who says the ps3 is consistantly better in the gfx department is just nuts...

In third party games yeah. In games designed from day one for the ps3 they certainly aren't sub par at all.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?cat=47
Summarizing the results of the 360 vs ps3 section: 360 wins in 17 games, ps3 wins in 7 games, and they declare a tie in 8 games. That's consistent with the trend on gamespot and eurogamer. Generally the 360 games look and/or perform a bit better than the ps3. Often the differences are minimal, however.

Summarizing the results of the 360 vs ps3 section: 360 wins in 17 games, ps3 wins in 7 games, and they declare a tie in 8 games. That's consistent with the trend on gamespot and eurogamer. Generally the 360 games look and/or perform a bit better than the ps3. Often the differences are minimal, however.

Never seen this site before! Thanks for the link! As a new owner of a PS3, I need to be more educated on crossplatform games and the pros/cons on each system.

Thanks to the person who linked that site, was quite interesting to see the differences.
Especially since for the most part, the reasons for one winning over the other were so minimal ( for example the COD WAW review)
I just wish they also had PC as one of the options.
(although then it might have been PC wins 32, consoles none :D )

minimal?

the PS3 versions almost always look softer than the XB360 ones it's blantly appearant when you do the roll overs it's like it's not quite in focus....

minimal?

the PS3 versions almost always look softer than the XB360 ones it's blantly appearant when you do the roll overs it's like it's not quite in focus....

I agree that it is sometimes obvious when looking at closeup screenshots that 360 visuals are better. But actually playing a game will not show these differences unless you are really looking for it. FYI, I only own a 360 so this is not a biased opinion.

That Lens of Truth site is pretty good. I have a 360 and a PS3 hooked up to the same monitor, and can confirm their results for the Red Faction demo.

It's typical that games that are designed to work solely on the PS3 look really good, but multiplatform games that launch on both consoles almost always favor the 360.

One thing they don't really mention too much is that the PS3 lacks a built in scaler, whereas the 360 does have hardware scaling capabilities. In most cases, the 360's scaler is better than anything a computer monitor or HDTV has built in, so for games that run at less than full 1080p, the 360 nearly has better up-conversion. The PS3 outputs a lower resolution signal directly to the display, so it's up to the display to use the crummy on-board scaler in these cases. This could partially explain why things often look "softer" on side by side comparisons (although there's a bit more to it).

I agree that it is sometimes obvious when looking at closeup screenshots that 360 visuals are better. But actually playing a game will not show these differences unless you are really looking for it. FYI, I only own a 360 so this is not a biased opinion.

Sad that you have to state that your a 360 owner and not biased aint it? To give biggles more credibility i'm only a PS3 owner and i've always thought the differences were people just nitpicking.

I have Fallout 3 and the side by side comparisons are very apparant. Still when i'm sitting in my living room playing on my HD tv, I don't give it a 2nd thought. The game is fun, it looks gorgeous. As many others have said the differences are so minimal when comparing multi platform games.

One thing they don't really mention too much is that the PS3 lacks a built in scaler, whereas the 360 does have hardware scaling capabilities. In most cases, the 360's scaler is better than anything a computer monitor or HDTV has built in, so for games that run at less than full 1080p, the 360 nearly has better up-conversion. The PS3 outputs a lower resolution signal directly to the display, so it's up to the display to use the crummy on-board scaler in these cases. This could partially explain why things often look "softer" on side by side comparisons (although there's a bit more to it).
The PS3 is known for its great upscaleing of normal DVD's. Wouldn't the same function of upscaleing DVD's effect games that needed it?

Sorry, not trying to make this into a competition...I own the 3 current gen consoles...(wii not really in this topic) im not refering to graphics, refering to all around gameplay. like i stated. I played vegas on both consoles before coming to my conclusion. i thought madden looked the same on both consoles. so i bought that for hte ps3. I also prefer to buy PS3 titles when multi-platform

i had vegas for ps3 and 360 , the 360 ate one of my copies. I think the controls were the same imo. I thought the PS3 had better lighting but the 360 seemed sharper perhaps. it's been a while since ive played.

PS3 pwns the batman according to lensof truth. Well ok, it wins by one point. I think that the biggest difference in the look of the games comes from the port. If a game was designed for Xbox then they are not going to put in the same level of effort to make it look good on PS3. Why do all that work twice when you can get away with 90%? Same is true with the PS3.

Look at batman. This was an excellent port of a good game. They took their time and did it right. There are very few differences between the two in terms of graphics. I think that either console is good (I own PS3) and it comes down to game selection, online friends, and for me it was the controller. I liked PS3's controller better.

It is funny how they take a crappy game that was made for Xbox port it to PS3 and the port is even worse. 1) who wants to play the crappy games and 2) do you really think they will spend the time to port it properly?

I think that the PS3 gets a bad rap more from bad ports of the games than anything else.

In general, the 360 does a better job with multiplatform games. Often times it feels like the PS3 version of a game can be an afterthought...which sucks if that's the only system you have.
However many PS3 exclusives (Uncharted, MGS4, Infamous, Killzone, etc.) are absolutely stunning beyond belief. It seems like devs that are only working on the PS3's archetecture the outcome can be killer. If they have a 360 and PC port as well, I get the impression that those two platforms are a lot easier (or more important to the dev) to optimize.
There are exceptions, but in general I tend to lean toward the 360 (or PC in some cases) for multiplatform games.

I read somewhere that a lot of developers primarily use MS programming tools, so games for PS3 are Xbox games that have been run through compilers to make them work on a PS3. Then there are a lot of issues with the PS3 that have to do with the anti-aliasing, and those issues are more easily worked out on the Xbox.

I read somewhere that a lot of developers primarily use MS programming tools, so games for PS3 are Xbox games that have been run through compilers to make them work on a PS3. Then there are a lot of issues with the PS3 that have to do with the anti-aliasing, and those issues are more easily worked out on the Xbox.

that has nothing to do with it. the biggest complaint for ps3 is the lack of comparable texture quality compared to the xbox 360.....in almost all of the comparisons, the game play mechanics are nearly identical

Back