Is the Ultra Rep right?

chikinini

n00b
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
57
Hi, I need your opinion on this one. I'm using the 550w ultra x2 modular uv sides. I keep getting stability issues on it. frequent restarts, wont even turn on sometimes. Here's my specs below. (its kinda old)

Pentium d 950
4gig ram
asus p5wdh deluxe (is this 45nm compatible?)
2x sata 2 drives
2x sata dvd drives
1 visiontek hd 3850
soundblaster extremegamer
4 case fans
floppy drive
card reader.

The ultra rep says i need a 750 watt for my needs? I think their power supplies suck. This is my third x2 in 1.5 years. They just dont last long.

PS. Just returned their 750w uv sides. Same problem. No more ultra products for me.:mad: WTF the 12v rail dips from 12.25, 12.14, 11.92, 10.90 then restarts. Come on my rig is not that power hungry.!.
 
Nah.. That should be fine for you. I'm running a much more demanding system off of a 620watt.
I think its just an Ultras suck issue.
 
That's what i was thinking too. I was blinded by the lifetime warranty, modular cabling and the eye candy. Customer service was nice though. You'll be lucky if it lasts a year. Maybe because i'm running it 24/7.

It's sooooo annoying taking out the psu, i have to take out my huge cpu heatsink. Oh well i'm gonna try the pcp&c red 750w. I would have wanted a modular coz i dont know how to hide some cables. lol. yup im a noob:eek:
 
Umm... Why do you think your stability issues are power supply related?

The X2 550W is more than enough. If you've gone through three, it's because YOU have a problem somewhere else. The only reason the "Ultra rep" is suggesting a 750W is because you've gone through three 550W units and you're telling him that you have a PSU issue.

Ultra has had some suck ass power supplies in the past, but for the most part, Ultra doesn't "suck." Certainly the X2 is more than adequate. I think it's time you think outside of the box and figure out what your real problem is.

Yes.. you are a "noob."
 
Well, the first 2 550w, the fan died causing it to frequently restart & freeze. Everything was stable when the fans were running. I don't know whats wrong with the third, the 12v rail rail goes up and down until it drops so low that it reboots. I'll RMA this one and get my 4th x2.

Would this still be enough if I add another video card?
 
Asus pc probe, I really appreciate the input guys. I learned a lot reading from this forum.:cool:
 
Umm... Why do you think your stability issues are power supply related?

The X2 550W is more than enough. If you've gone through three, it's because YOU have a problem somewhere else. The only reason the "Ultra rep" is suggesting a 750W is because you've gone through three 550W units and you're telling him that you have a PSU issue.

Ultra has had some suck ass power supplies in the past, but for the most part, Ultra doesn't "suck." Certainly the X2 is more than adequate. I think it's time you think outside of the box and figure out what your real problem is.

Yes.. you are a "noob."

People often overlook the electrical wiring in their houses or place of business. The issue may be comming from the wall. There could also be any number of other problems with the system.
 
Try measuring with a multimeter instead. Software isn't particularly accurate.

My guess, Memory or the power coming from the outlet. I suggest putting the computer on a surge protector at the least, UPS is preferable.
 
People often overlook the electrical wiring in their houses or place of business. The issue may be comming from the wall. There could also be any number of other problems with the system.


True. But I don't think it would explain failing fans.

Rough shipping and/or handling practices are about the only thing I can think of that would explain that. The fan in the X2 is the same Young Lin fan that most PSU's manufacturers use today, so there's no reason why those would fail more in an X2 than any other unit.

The fluctuating voltages: Yeah. You can't use software to monitor that.

But if we are seeing a rash of failed fans and fluctuating voltages, perhaps from loose connectors, etc. than I'm lead to ask where the unit is located, is a LAN box that gets thrown around a lot, etc???
 
I did a repair on a 680i EVGA board the other day, one that had been returned three times. The builder was using one of those monster 120mm HSF units with a bottom support plate.

Turn on the unit, quick voltage drop but, a very warm HSF base. I pulled the board and found that just like most 680i boards and a few others many of the soldered component leads were way too long especially the big ones used for component support.

Tighten the screws on the HSF and at some point those high points would push through the insulation and create a short thus killing the system.

15 min with a pair of flush cutting dikes and 4 1/8th nylon washers for spacers later everything was running fine.

Diagnostics is not abusing the RMA and return process it’s a process of elimination based on at least some basic knowledge.

If more people would read, Google for answers or try to locate some help from a local computer club / users group the price of our parts might actually start to come down.
 
Was it because its a sleeve type fan? I heard they dont last as long as the bearing type? And i almost never turn off my pc.

I'm using arctic cooling freezer 7 pro which uses clips so its not the HSF. The motherboard was just replaced because i thought it died on me. No beeps even when taking out the video cards, memory etc.

It was by a lucky chance that i opened pc probe and saw the huge drop on the 12v rail even when the computer was idle. I don't even overclock. I'm using a surge protector. I haven't check my house current though.
 
It was by a lucky chance that i opened pc probe and saw the huge drop on the 12v rail even when the computer was idle.

First thing I'd check is the main ATX and 12V cables to the board for loose connectors and/or burnt pins on said connectors. Then, I'd whip out the DMM and verify the PSU rails that way.
 
From my understanding also, Ultra PSUs stopped sucking ages ago, and are now among the best.
 
I wouldn't say among the best.

I would say closer to 'above average'.
 
Depend on the model.

The X2 is quite mediocre.
 
I had a 500 watt X-Connect, found out just how terrible they are and moved to a 600 watt Silverstone. My system didn't need more than 500 watts, but I was actually able to reach a higher stable overclock with the Silverstone (no other changes to the system) because the voltage was more stable. I hope that PCP&C works out for you, and I hope the people backing up newer Ultras are correct; their previous units were borderline criminal.
 
It all depends on the OEM. Most of the 400W and 500W units were Youngyear.

Then they used Wintech for the X2-Connect. Better quality and QC, but still low efficiency and no PFC.

Then they went to Andyson, which is really good stuff. Efficient, APFC, rated at 40°C.

Although I still think there are some shens going on at Ultra. I think the X3/X-Pro may actually be a 500W. And the X2 750W... I'm not too sure about that thing. And the V-Series, including the XVS, those are rated at peak.

So there is still reason to be suspect of Ultra sometimes.
 
I was just wondering why the ultra rep would recommend me a 750 watts PSU. I gave him my PC's specs. I've also observed the psu was running hot all the time. IMO the slow fan can't keep up with the heat.

I've recently read somewhere at specs it says 25 degrees. Does that mean it only pumps out the rated watts at 25 degrees? :eek:

There really is something wrong with the X2 PSU. I built my pc november 2006 and this is my 4th X2. Based on my specs It was never abused or pushed to it's limits.
 
I've recently read somewhere at specs it says 25 degrees. Does that mean it only pumps out the rated watts at 25 degrees? :eek:

Yes! But even at 35 or 40°C it should still be able to put out over 450W continuous. I don't think your build really needs more than that.

Why would the rep suggest the 750W? Well.. is he going to trade even for it? If so, just take it. But he may just be grasping at straws looking for an answer for you. First couple units had a bad fan... ok... whatever. Now you're getting fluctuating voltages. Could just be a bad unit. But I doubt they'd come right out and admit it.

Is there something chronically wrong with X2 PSU's? I don't think so. I just think you've had some really bad luck.
 
Back
Top