• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is the Tcase temperature on Intel right?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
1,427
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29753

The TCase seems to be around TCASE: 61.4°C according to that link. That seems a bit lower than I originally thought (which was 85°C). I've gotten up to 45°C with IBT under a my watercooling setup. During the summer I could be pretty close to the TCASE, so this is a little bit worrying.
 
Thanks for the clarifications.

What a mess, so Tcase isn't a temperature that I have any feasible way of measuring? So I guess I can simply disregard Tcase temperature completely.

So I'll just go by CoreTemps readings since the only value I have is the Tjunction delta. Based on those readings I'm still comfortably 30-40C below the Tjunction Max running IBT.
 
CoW]8(0);1035152632 said:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29753

The TCase seems to be around TCASE: 61.4°C according to that link. That seems a bit lower than I originally thought (which was 85°C). I've gotten up to 45°C with IBT under a my watercooling setup. During the summer I could be pretty close to the TCASE, so this is a little bit worrying.

Unless you state what your using to read that Temp 45C is meaningless. If your using TAT 45C is excellent under load no worries (Tjunction reading). If its some sort of motherboard software like Gigabytes Easy Tune, then its probably indicating Tcase and that "could" be a worry later in summer..

Using "TAT" to display Tjunction appears fairly accurate as Core 2's that show close to Tjunction max in TAT tend to become unstable or thermally shutdown (assuming thermal throttle is turned off in the bios).

In the early days of core 2 there were tons of people even in this forum that didn't realise dif software read Tcase or Tjunction and you often saw "oh 70C is WAY to hot!!!!" and yet it wasn't established what software the reading was taken in lol. Of course 70C in TAT is fine, if its 70C in Gigabyte Easy Tune and you probably have issues.
 
What a mess, so Tcase isn't a temperature that I have any feasible way of measuring? So I guess I can simply disregard Tcase temperature completely.

Correct.

45nm Desktop Dual-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Duo processor E8000 and E7000 series - 100°C

45 nm Desktop Quad-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9000 and Q8000 series - 100°C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9650 - 95°C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9770 - 85°C

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035155055&postcount=8
 
If its some sort of motherboard software like Gigabytes Easy Tune, then its probably indicating Tcase and that "could" be a worry later in summer..
Tcase cannot be measured or indicated by any software.
Using "TAT" to display Tjunction appears fairly accurate as Core 2's that show close to Tjunction max in TAT tend to become unstable or thermally shutdown (assuming thermal throttle is turned off in the bios).
Thermal throttle cannot be turned off. The thermal protection features of Intel CPUs are always active.
Of course 70C in TAT is fine, if its 70C in Gigabyte Easy Tune and you probably have issues.
If it's 70C in Easy Tune, then it doesn't mean anything since the reading is completely useless.
 
Back
Top