Is the Apple Display right for me?

EGGO

Gawd
At work I use a 27" iMac that's a beast. Sucks to go home to a 21" monitor with not as much real estate. I love the screen and the installed webcam. There's the great resolution. And to be honest, the price is alright, at least compared to other monitors that are this size/resolution.

Three things worry me.

One and two are the wires. The MagSafe connector is unnecessary. I'll be plugging it into my Mac Pro, a tower. I'm going to end up having a wire dangling in the end. I wish they made it where at least it was optional. There's also that mini DVI port. My Mac Pro uses two dual-link DVI ports and I think I heard adapters add another $150 into the equation.

The third is color correction. I do graphic art as a hobby, but nothing so that needs it to be strict, so this isn't a big deal to me, but I definitely do that more than gaming on the computer nowadays.

I'm confused. the iMac is an all-in-one, not an LCD.

If you mean the 27" Cinema display, with the current pricing of the U3011 and superior specifications in all but power usage (it is a considerably larger display though), its hands down a better buy.

Sorry, yes. I meant to say because of the 27" imac I use here at work, I'm used to that size so I was considering their 27" display.

The wires aren't all that big of an issue, with the exception of them generally being much too short. Unless your Mac Pro is next to your LCD on your desk, or DIRECTLY under your LCD under your desk, then it will be too short and you will need an extension cable.

However, the biggest worry would be the actual input. Its a mini displayport, NOT a mini DVI port. There are some mac pro video cards that come with this output, but not all. If you don't have this output, then your choices would have to be:
1.) Get a $120 adapter or
2.) Get a new video card for your Mac pro that has a mini displayport connector.

No, thats the wrong adapter. What you linked allows you to connect a DVI monitor to a mini displayport socket, on say, a macbook.

What you need is the opposite - allows you to connect the ADC which uses mini displayport to a DVI port on your computer. And it just so happens that those adapters are around $120.

Dammit. Thanks for that clarification. At that price, I might as well start looking at the Dells, too.

I would suggest you to go with the U3011 instead of the Apple cinema displays. As Ducman said, the U3011 is a much better display.

I would go the other way and say get the Cinema Display. I want from a Dell 30" 3007 to it for my home PC and I can say there is no way I am going back to one of Dell's matte finish screens.

However I had a PC with the right output already, get an educational discount on the Apple and have 3 Apple stores with in a 30 minute drive.

I was to get the 27" screen with 3 years Apple Care for $1050 out the door.

I did spend $10 and got a cable extension for the usb/minidisplay port, so I have 10' of cable to play with.

I think Apple makes great products and I love them and use them myself, but one thing you have to know about Apple is that for products like the Cinema Displays they are re-cased monitors with the apple logo. There is nothing special about them. I've used their 27" cinema display at my old job and yes it was awesome and yes it was sweet, but my only argument is that, is that little Apple logo worth the mark up when it performs just as good as Dell's Ultrasharp models?

You could also argue the other way, that Dell doesn't make their own panels either, just like Apple, repackages them and throws them into a bundle and then ships them. True. But Apple is still more expensive, always has been, always will be, because you're paying for their R&D department and for their advertising expense :)

The dell u3011 is on sale right now at dell's website!!! From $1599 to $1299!!!

Dammit. Thanks for that clarification. At that price, I might as well start looking at the Dells, too.

It all depends on what model Mac Pro you have, and what video card is in it. You might already have a mini displayport connector.

It all depends on what model Mac Pro you have, and what video card is in it. You might already have a mini displayport connector.

I know I don't. I have an early 2008 Mac Pro.

Last edited:
I think Apple makes great products and I love them and use them myself, but one thing you have to know about Apple is that for products like the Cinema Displays they are re-cased monitors with the apple logo. There is nothing special about them.

That's not entirely true. The Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and the future Hazro HZ27Wa are the only IPS displays which do not have LG's controversial antiglare coating. I returned my Dell U3011 for an Apple display with absolutely no regret.

Back