Is the 7800 GTX 512 sold out through Christmas?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
The INQ is reporting that there will only be between 12k-15k 7800 GTX 512's coming out before the end of the year, which kinda makes me wonder.

I, like many others have paid for the thing and are wating for it. It seems to me that there must be thousands, if not tens of thousands of backorders, which make me wonder if there are any available to actually still buy.

NewEgg changed their there ETA of the BFG yet again from 11/26/2005 to 12/01/2005, but they are supposed to have the MSI tomorrow, but that card is already available else where. I haven't SEEN ONE BFG since 11/14.

I've called several (r)etailers about their GTX 512 availability. When you ask the ones that do backorders how many people they've got on backorder ahead of you, there are very vauge. I think its a fair question and one they have the ability to answer, but don't I guess for fear of not being able to hold onto your money for an indefinite amount of time.

If this is going to become a guessing game, maybe I should have waited for R580, if its coming out in three months, or even CrossFire X1800XT PE.

I really am begining to think that this was a bit a trick by nVidia to nail ATI. You can now find the X1800XT everywhere now, but I imagine that the 7800 GTX 512 is killing XT sales. But the GTX is rare, espcially the BFG and XFX brands, which must be the most popular because of the overclocks on these models.

ATI, you need to get a solid CrossFire board in numbers out NOW!

I feel the same way man, except I haven't ordered one yet. I'm waiting till I see one in stock. But I'm just hoping that some come in before Christmas time, otherwise I won't be getting a present this year.

I really dont think it has anything to do with the xt1800 as a vanilla 7800GTX 256 outperforms it.

/c:

Colin12 said:
I really dont think it has anything to do with the xt1800 as a vanilla 7800GTX 256 outperforms it.

/c:
huh? where did you find these benchmarks? do you have a link?

well it needs to be released for real! you cant slap those bitches without a hand! :(

bleh, I dont know about the rest of you guys, but the lust of me wanting a 512MB GTX wore off a couple weeks ago when I finally came to my senses that it would be senseless for me to spend an extra $300 to $400 after selling my current 7800 GTX 256MB card just to buy the 512MB version.

man, I think that this is the first sensible thing I've thought of in a good six months or so. :p

ozziegn said:
bleh, I dont know about the rest of you guys, but the lust of me wanting a 512MB GTX wore off a couple weeks ago when I finally came to my senses that it would be senseless for me to spend an extra $300 to $400 after selling my current 7800 GTX 256MB card just to buy the 512MB version.

man, I think that this is the first sensible thing I've thought of in a good six months or so. :p

well some of us arent so lucky and arent born with sensability :p GIMMIE TEH 512 :D:D

RaphaelVinceti said:
it was released, but it was sold out. nVidia wasnt expecting so many people to want them.
I dout that. They were probably just expecting samsung to be giving them the memory they ordered by now. Samsung is probably having trouble bining the memory that high as the 512gtx's ram is clocked at 1.7ghz instead of the 1.8ghz the ram is rated for.

underpowering ram probably isnt much of a hassle.. but, you are probably right, Samsung is probably slow on shipping out the ram.

RaphaelVinceti said:
underpowering ram probably isnt much of a hassle.. but, you are probably right, Samsung is probably slow on shipping out the ram.

Yeah I heard they are producing most of the RAM for the 360...maybe that's why.

X1800XT was out at launch too. Just not many.

This has the exact same characteristics as what was called a paper launch by ATI.

Just own up.

And $700!! Geez.

They must be shipping incredibly limited qauntitys to be selling out at that price.

Sharky974 said:

This has the exact same characteristics as what was called a paper launch by ATI.

Just own up.

And $700!! Geez.

aww come on give them some credit ;) Its not that bad of a launch..

1. If you really wanted one on launch day it was easily obtainable.. (and so forth for a few days)

2. Alot of people are ordering 2 @ a time for sli..

Sharky974 said:

Just not many? Yes, I suppose zero isn't many is it? Sounds like you've got a bad memory so let me refresh it.....

X1800XT launched on October 5th.
X1800XT available (according to ATi) on November 9th.

Were you asleep for the month between X1800XT launch and availability? As far as I'm concerned, when ATi starts talking about the X1800XT in press releases and gets all the hardware sites to review 'em and bench them then it's *launched*. Now let's compare the X1800XT launch/availability situation to the GTX512.....

7800GTX 512MB available 9th November.
7800GTX 512MB launched 14th November.

How exactly is that a paper launch and how on Earth is that just the same as the launch/availability situation for the X1800XT??

As far as quantities available go I'll bet more gamers have the GTX512 in their rigs than they do X1800XT.

Back