Is Nintendo with the Switch killing off the DS portable?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to buy a portable console and was looking at the DS system. But with the advent of the switch is it still worthwile to buy a DS? Will nintendo be killing off the DS soon because of it?

I'm kinda confused at the direction things are going in.

I'm looking to buy a portable console and was looking at the DS system. But with the advent of the switch is it still worthwile to buy a DS? Will nintendo be killing off the DS soon because of it?

I'm kinda confused at the direction things are going in.

That's OK, Nintendo is confused as well.

Nintendo claims they are going to coexist but that's what they said with the Wii U and the switch. I wouldn't trust anything out of Nintendo's mouth.

Three Pillars. Game Boy Advance. Co-existence. Wii U. So not a very good track record for Nintendo lately on keeping to their promises. I would not buy one to anticipate the future games but to check out some of the already released ones.

Three Pillars. Game Boy Advance. Co-existence. Wii U. So not a very good track record for Nintendo lately on keeping to their promises. I would not buy one to anticipate the future games but to check out some of the already released ones.

I bought a New 3DS XL 2 weeks ago along with all the following games and could not be happier.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario Kart 7
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Star Fox 64 3D
Super Mario 3D land

Plenty to play. Also, I won't be buying a Switch until probably holiday of next year when there will be a better library of games to play and perhaps improvements to the console itself too.

3DS is cheap and has a crap ton of games you can get that are a blast to play. Many wouldn't translate well moving to the Switch.

Besides that there are a ton of 3DSs in homes versus how many Switch consoles out there. I think the last statistic show like 3 in every home in just America. Nintendo isn't going to drop something that is clearly making them money.

Worst case is if they do replace it with the Switch, you’ll be having too much fun with all the cheaper games on the 3DS to care.

3DS is cheap and has a crap ton of games you can get that are a blast to play. Many wouldn't translate well moving to the Switch.

Besides that there are a ton of 3DSs in homes versus how many Switch consoles out there. I think the last statistic show like 3 in every home in just America. Nintendo isn't going to drop something that is clearly making them money.

Worst case is if they do replace it with the Switch, you’ll be having too much fun with all the cheaper games on the 3DS to care.

I have to agree with this (other than the cheap part. $200 for a portable console that doesn't come with a charger isn't very cheap). I have had so many arguments with people about the Switch which I won't mention here, but to me the Switch is not "portable" in the way I want it to be portable which is to say pocket-able. Unless you carry a day bag or purse the Switch is not portable in any way that is convenient to me. People argue that the Switch IS basically the new 3DS but I don't buy it it. Personally, I game mostly at home so the Switch would be in the dock 99% of it's lifetime. Like you say, there is still a huge market for a 3DS-sized device and the 3DS is still selling well. I do hope they end up coming out with another truly portable handheld. Idk if they would ditch the 3D gimmick at that point, but as long as it's pocket-able, has a higher resolution screen than the 3DS, and good battery life I will be supportive of it.

I can't imagine they would try to do anything like that yet. Not as long as the Switch has such poor battery life and costs so much. I can see them eventually doing it, but not for a while.

They are continuing to release new games in 2017 for 3DS so, I would say it's still quite alive.

Also, Nintendo has stated they don't intend the Switch to be a replacement for the 3DS.

That new Nintendo Direct proved that Nintendo is going to be putting a lot of games on the 3DS this year. Fire Emblem Echoes, Pikmin, Ever Oasis, and more. I don't know what 2018 holds for the 3DS, but 2017 should be good. And don't forget...we still got E3 coming.

3ds or 2ds?

Is the 3d portion really worth it?

As Maverick said the "New 3DS" (actual name, confusing I know) has a bit more power, better 3D and faster online store. Personally I never liked 2DS design. I feel the 3DS clam shell design will protect the screen much more, especially if you play to take it on the go a lot.

There'll be more overlap with the 3DS and the Switch for awhile. The 3DS is far more successful. Now, going forward into the next few years you'll see it probably die down again. However, I consider that a bit more acceptable.

Fire Emblem is getting released on both, and I think the next version of Pokémon is going to Switch.

So they're coming out with a 2DS XL...

Who the fuck is this for? No one, that's who. If it were $99, that'd be a crazy steal for a handheld, but at $50 less than a full-featured 3DS XL, what were they thinking? Is there really a need for this?

Also, a Switch Mini? Really?

I could see a Mini Switch working (it's too big to truly be "portable"), but next year seems awfully quick. With the system being somewhat modular, it could theoretically just be a smaller core system/screen and it could still use all of the same controllers/accessories/games/etc. Even current owners could theoretically buy one as a companion if they wanted. If this is something they do, they better make the games tied to an account rather than a system.

Historically, the original DS was never 'meant' to replace GBA (despite the fact that it came with a GBA cartridge slot), but ended up doing so anyway.

It's less likely here (there is no 3ds card slot in Switch I think).

Though for some REALLY bizarre reason, 3ds, of all things, have region lock, Switch, DS or GBA didn't have them.

I honestly wouldn't want a Switch with a smaller screen...if anything I think it could stand to be an inch or so larger (TWSS). Trying to play Zelda on that screen is already a bit of an eye strain, given how much is going on with the UI.

I honestly wouldn't want a Switch with a smaller screen...if anything I think it could stand to be an inch or so larger (TWSS). Trying to play Zelda on that screen is already a bit of an eye strain, given how much is going on with the UI.

I actually think 1/2 of that is Zelda. I find it very difficult to play as a portable and it feels like the view distance and pixelation suffer greatly. It's hard to see what's going on in a lot of cases. Yet other games like Mario Kart and Blaster Master look great as portables.

Nintendo claims they are going to coexist but that's what they said with the Wii U and the switch. I wouldn't trust anything out of Nintendo's mouth.
Nintendo is probably the worst offender in the video game market when it comes to lying to customers, which is odd considering the weight put on honor and social etiquette in Japan.

Wii U is out of production. I haven't seen one in stores since before the holidays.

Back