Is my Voodoo 5 AGP dead?

Kusaywa

Weaksauce
Recently purchased a 3DFX Voodoo 5 AGP on ebay for $50. Installed it and it booted and ran fine, until... I tried to play a game. Nothing, just black screen. I rebooted and entered dxdiag. Ran a test on Direct 3D and same thing, freezing directx box. Installed Windows ME with 1.04 reference drivers. Same thing, rotating box in dxdiag would freeze. Does a Voodoo 5 require a certain amount of wattage from the PSU because of the power plug? Usually cards just die? Any other suggestions? THANKS!

I might add my Voodoo 4 PCI runs great in the same rig...

Gateway 951mhz
384mb ram
Windows XP SP2

You need a 250W PS from my experience... Your V4 doesn't have a power plug does it? I still have a V5 5500 agp too. If they are going for 50.00 on ebay, it might be time for me to sell it!

Well speedfrk, if I can't get this one to work, please contact me if your looking to sell it. I don't think it is a driver issue. I tried it under XP using different drivers, both reference and unofficial. I then tried it under ME using official 1.04 reference drivers and the same result. Voodoo 4 & 5 used the same drivers I believe, and my 4 works great! Just wanted the 64mb and AGP the Voodoo 5 was offering.

There is a new one (supposedly, since you can get any box shrink wrapped) on ebay that is up to 130.00. That seems crazy to me. I guess they are becoming collector's items. I still have the original boxes, manuals, etc for mine as well. PM me if you are really interested. Is the seller going to refund your money on the one you have now?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I tried a Voodoo3 3000 PCI last night and it amazingly still worked. 11 years of being used, then left in a box and tossed around, then laying around my room. It fucking worked. Even played RTCW with it for a few hours at 40-50 fps 800x600 on high quality settings.

Voodoo 5 and 6 cards will have AGP compatibility issues (as speedfrk said) with newer hardware, its a nightmare to put it lightly

I'd probably look at your current board as damaged or a software issue, if it was compatibility or insufficient power the system would either not boot, reboot loop'n'lock, or reboot loop'n'lock on 3D

given that we're talking about a decade old AIB thats been a collector's item since around 2005, its not surprising to see damaged/shredded cards being pimped for cash by the wonderful and honest people that comprise ebay

as far as software goes, if you've tried both official and x3dfx drivers, and still no go, time for a refund (read: paypal dispute decided against you because a box was shipped to your house which means the seller is automatically a saint)

Voodoo 5 and 6 cards will have AGP compatibility issues (as speedfrk said) with newer hardware, its a nightmare to put it lightly

I'd probably look at your current board as damaged or a software issue, if it was compatibility or insufficient power the system would either not boot, reboot loop'n'lock, or reboot loop'n'lock on 3D

given that we're talking about a decade old AIB thats been a collector's item since around 2005, its not surprising to see damaged/shredded cards being pimped for cash by the wonderful and honest people that comprise ebay

as far as software goes, if you've tried both official and x3dfx drivers, and still no go, time for a refund (read: paypal dispute decided against you because a box was shipped to your house which means the seller is automatically a saint)

Well, he really needs to try another agp card to make sure that the slot isn't bad. The V5's are the old single notch cards that theoretically won't fit in the newer slot, but I still think that it is worth trying another card.

People still drive their delorians(sp?) around on occasion. I think this is similar.

It's underpowered, many issues, but looks cool. Oh, the car does too... =D

It's definately the Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
I put in a Nvidia Vanta LT AGP, Voodoo 3 AGP & now a ATI Radeon X1650 AGP (which uses a floppy power wire).
All work!
When using dxdiag Test Direct 3D to test the Voodoo5, the spinning box would spin very slow, lock up, or reboot, depending on the drivers. But when testing the ATI Radeon X1600AGP which is a more demanding board (512mb), it works fine, as do the others.
THANKS everyone for your help. The seller is offering a refund.
As far as the Voodoo 5 & this setup... is just for nostalgia sake. To play 3Dfx/Glide games that no longer work with Windows 7.
Once again... THANKS!

After poking around I found that the V5 is a 3.3v card. Some motherboards had a bios option to set the agp voltage to either 1.5 or 3.3. You might want to check your bios and make sure it is set to 3.3. Also, it was common in those days to have to set the agp aperture. Generally 2 times the amount of memory the board has.

Well, he really needs to try another agp card to make sure that the slot isn't bad. The V5's are the old single notch cards that theoretically won't fit in the newer slot, but I still think that it is worth trying another card.

if the AGP slot was somehow bad the card wouldn't work at all, not just an issue with 3D/stability, same with improper configuration

After poking around I found that the V5 is a 3.3v card. Some motherboards had a bios option to set the agp voltage to either 1.5 or 3.3. You might want to check your bios and make sure it is set to 3.3. Also, it was common in those days to have to set the agp aperture. Generally 2 times the amount of memory the board has.

shouldn't be a problem since the Voodoo5 won't fit in a 1.5v motherboard.

AGP Slot Specs

This is one of the reasons i bought a Voodoo5 5500 PCI, it was a MAC only card but can easily be flashed to a PC. I then bought an AMD3400+ AGP setup and run it in that.

Well the graph would make the Voodoo 3 & 5 I have both 3.3V, and the Voodoo3 works.
I don't know what the NVidia Vanta LT or the Radeon X1650 are according to this graph, because they look like the picture of the graphics card and not any of the diagrams below. But they work also.
The AGP slot on the motherboard doesn't have anything to prevent a certain card from being inserted. It looks like the AGP Universal.
Nothing in the bios to set the voltage or the aperture.

Well the graph would make the Voodoo 3 & 5 I have both 3.3V, and the Voodoo3 works.
I don't know what the NVidia Vanta LT or the Radeon X1650 are according to this graph, because they look like the picture of the graphics card and not any of the diagrams below. But they work also.
The AGP slot on the motherboard doesn't have anything to prevent a certain card from being inserted. It looks like the AGP Universal.

If your V3 works, your V5 should work.

I remember the Voodoo5 selling at EB games at the local mall here in Toronto, Canada back in 2000 for over $400 CAD! Back then our dollar wasen't worth crap either lol....

your X1650 and Vanta probably have the 1.5v and 3.3v slot, this means they will work in either type of AGP slot

most AGP cards have the double slot spec, its actually suprised the Voodoo5 5500 AGP was a 3.3v only card. Even my Voodoo4 4500 is a 1.5v/3.3v compatible AGP card.

Well a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP "supposedly" brand new in a shrink wrap box and a Voodoo 5 5500 mouse pad just went for $400 on ebay.
You have to admit, before Nvidia came along, 3Dfx was the best.
There was nothing like it!
You honestly don't think that I think 3dfx can compare to todays cards?
This is just for nostalgic purposes, and to be able to play those old 3D/Glide games I remember.

your X1650 and Vanta probably have the 1.5v and 3.3v slot, this means they will work in either type of AGP slot

most AGP cards have the double slot spec, its actually suprised the Voodoo5 5500 AGP was a 3.3v only card. Even my Voodoo4 4500 is a 1.5v/3.3v compatible AGP card.

The Voodoo4s actually came out later than the Voodoo5s. They probably didn't have enough time to add in the 1.5V compatibility on the Voodoo5s. Or maybe it could have been how it was designed since it required a molex connector, PSUs back then had more amps on the 3.3 line.

I tried a Voodoo3 3000 PCI last night and it amazingly still worked. 11 years of being used, then left in a box and tossed around, then laying around my room. It fucking worked. Even played RTCW with it for a few hours at 40-50 fps 800x600 on high quality settings.

I've got a couple AGP Voodoo 3 3000s, and a Voodoo 4 4500 laying around somewhere. Out of a box, no anti-static bags. I should put something together, and see if I have the same luck. :D

Well I got a Voodoo 3 AGP, a Voodoo 4 4500 PCI, a Banshee PCI and all are still alive. I only had to replace the fan on the Banshee. Wish todays cards lasted that long...

if the AGP slot was somehow bad the card wouldn't work at all, not just an issue with 3D/stability, same with improper configuration

I don't know man. A long time ago I had an issue once where 2D worked just fine sitting at Windows, but as soon as I tried anything 3D, the computer would lock up. Know what it turned out to be? The damn card was PHYSICALLY ½ ripped out of the AGP socket! I laughed out loud, shut the computer off and re-seated that card....worked fine after that (go figure) I was in complete awe that the computer worked just fine with 2D. (Windows XP) I never would have thought it would run ripped out like that.

Well I got a Voodoo 3 AGP, a Voodoo 4 4500 PCI, a Banshee PCI and all are still alive. I only had to replace the fan on the Banshee. Wish todays cards lasted that long...

I still have my Voodoo3 2000 (PCI) Can't believe the money I spent on that damn thing! Was worth every cent then though, hehe. Up until just recently I still had a Matrox Mystique 220 and Diamond Monster 3D (complete with pass-through cable) I turfed them though.

I pulled this thing in and out a couple of times ( the Voodoo 5 I'm talking about) and still the same results??? I should get rid of some of my old cards too, but I'll through them on ebay, got to be worth a couple of bucks$$$

Back