• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my PSU powerful enough for this second GPU?

Levelog

Weaksauce
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
80
So my rig is as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($238.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB LIGHTNING Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Mercury S8
Other: D5 Vario
Total: $602.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-10 23:58 EDT-0400

I'm looking to add in my 680 for folding, but I think I might be cutting it a bit close on my PSU. Any opinions?
 
Is that 4770K overclocked?

EDIT: If neither your CPU or GPU are overclocked, you should be ok. If any of those are overclocked, you're cutting it a bit too close IMO.
 
Parts are already all part of existing build, except for the 290x I just got. And both CPU and GPU will be heavily overclocked. And I don't want to get into that Seagate BS. If you take that Backblaze stuff at face value I just feel bad for you.

But I figured I'd be cutting it too close. Shame. Guess I should have gotten the 850w, but the 750 was on sale back when I picked it up.
 
Last edited:
Parts are already all part of existing build, except for the 290x I just got. And both CPU and GPU will be heavily overclocked. And I don't want to get into that Seagate BS. If you take that Backblaze stuff at face value I just feel bad for you.

But I figured I'd be cutting it too close. Shame. Guess I should have gotten the 850w, but the 750 was on sale back when I picked it up.

As an aside, every Seagate drive I've bought for personal use, and the ones I've dealt with at work, (in the last five years) have died.
 
I think you be ok if following Dangman's advice...If you do happen to get a second card just run them at stock clocks and voltage only, Since everyone wants to commit on things you didn't ask for i will just say my seagate drive works fine just as yours and doesn't overload my power supply either:D
 
I think you be ok if following Dangman's advice...If you do happen to get a second card just run them at stock clocks and voltage only, Since everyone wants to commit on things you didn't ask for i will just say my seagate drive works fine just as yours and doesn't overload my power supply either:D

Then I guess I'll just leave it out then. No way I'm leaving the i7 or Lightning at stock. I'm sure there has to be some law against leaving something like a Lightning at stock clocks/voltage anyways :D
 
Back
Top