• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is my PSU good enough?

Eej

n00b
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
32
Specs:
i7 920 d0
Asus P6T
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3-1600
EVGA Geforce GTX 275
OCZ Vertex 120gb
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

I'm building a new rig and I just noticed that my EVGA Geforce GTX 275 says it needs a 550W PSU with 40A on the 12V line. I had already purchased (and fired off the rebate too) a Corsair 520HX which uh, is somewhat under 550W. Kind of annoying since I can't really return it, although I guess ebay is an option.

Am I screwed or would my PSU be capable of handling the load?
 
Alright, thanks. I'm guessing I don't have much room to add any more hard drives (not that I plan to) or overclock my 920, right?
 
And as a side note I am running a system with a similar power load as yours on a 350watt seasonic :)
 
I run 5 hard drives, 2 optical drives and a 4890 on my PC Power and Cooling 750. It all depends on what hardware you're running. But you should be ok with that setup with a single video card.
 
According to the Corsair site I won't be hitting 3.8ghz with an OC'd Geforce 275 on my 520HX anytime soon. :<

Oh well, thanks guys. I guess I'll have to invest in a better PSU when the time comes to bump performance to keep up with new games.
 
And as a side note I am running a system with a similar power load as yours on a 350watt seasonic :)
That isn't a great idea.
According to the Corsair site I won't be hitting 3.8ghz with an OC'd Geforce 275 on my 520HX anytime soon. :<
Their calculator is still pretty conservative. By my calculations, you'll be fine with a 3.8GHz overclock using 1.3V or so.
 
3.8ghz on the i7 while also overclocking the 275 a small amount is what I meant, of course. Good to know that I should be safe.
 
3.8ghz on the i7 while also overclocking the 275 a small amount is what I meant, of course.
That's what I assumed. I didn't think that you were planning to take your GTX275 to 3.8GHz ;).
 
Back
Top