Is my new motherboard DOA?

Volatile

n00b
I just bought a GA-G33M-DS2R to replace my P5B-VM (along with a new SFF case). After swapping, it wouldn't POST. After removing non-essential components, I find I can get it to boot with 1 stick of ram, located in slot #4, and it boots in single channel mode. No other ram slot works, and using more than 1 stick of ram doesn't work either, regardless of combination.

here's the quick stats:
C2D 6600
mobo as above
Kingston hyperx ddr2 ram (4X 1gb stcks)
silverstone st60f psu

I also have a new HD as I intend to install Vista, but I haven't gotten that far yet, plus my video card isn't installed either, just to minimize the possibilities.

What I've tried in the BIOS:

full auto for timing and voltage
manual dram voltage +0.2v (making 2.0v)
manual clock settings (667 vs 800)

Supposedly, my ram can be used at 667mhz at 1.8v, and to hit 800mhz, needs 1.95v, which I've attempted manually.

Plus, everything came from a system than ran fine for 10 months, only the mobo is new.

So, the way I see it, it's one of 2 things:
1. failed mobo needing rma/return
2. ram incompatability (unfortunately, I don't have any other ram I can try out)

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for your help, Vol

IDK if the ram is your problem, but is it on this recommened list?

ramao9.jpg

The complete list for your board, can be found here.

Good Luck!

It's not, I have this one: KHX6400D2LLK2/2G (that's the 2 module set, I have 2 sets, hence 4 modules)

The compatability list is rather small, I don't know if it's always feasible to confine yourself to what's on that list. My ram isn't on the Qualified Vendor List for my old mobo either, yet it worked fine...

BTW, the only Kingston ram on the gigabyte compatability list is their value ram that's DDR667.

Hmm, I was incorrect in what I originally wrote... I tried some other memory module combinations.

The 4 slots are numbered from the cpu outward. For DDR, you use 1&3 or 2&4... standard stuff.

I can get the comp to post in 3 or 4 or 3&4. Still says single channel mode on the first screen, which makes sense.

Still no joy on 1, 2, 1&3, 2&4, 1&4, 2&3, or 1&2&3&4.

At this point, I thinking it's the board. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

RMA'd the board... new one works perfectly awesome.

Thanks to everyone who replied with their help.

Back