Is my motherboard dying?

morfinx

[H]ard|Gawd
Lately I've been experiencing some random video card crashes (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1126672). I looked at my mobo's monitoring software and it reports the 12V rail is at 11V. I thought that would be the issue, except when I used a digital multimeter and measured the 12V rail directly off of the power supply I get 12V. What gives? Is my mobo's voltage regulators going out or just inaccurate sensors?

What PSU is it? Try a different one? PSU is easier to replace than a motherboard.

kirbyrj said:
What PSU is it? Try a different one? PSU is easier to replace than a motherboard.

It's 420W Enlight PSU. It's been rock solid in the previous Athlon XP/Shuttle system. Both +5V and +12V rails are very stable under load as measured directly with a digital multimeter. I'm doubtful it's the PSU. Any other suggestions?

It sounds like a problem with voltage regulation then which is a motherboard problem. How old is the board? Is it the one in your sig?

kirbyrj said:
It sounds like a problem with voltage regulation then which is a motherboard problem. How old is the board? Is it the one in your sig?

About 2 yrs I think. Yes it's the one in my sig.

I'd just see if you can get a newer board. MSI Neo2 Plat is one of the better with a s939 and NF3.

ASRock Dual SATA2 is also a nice board to replace the one you have with some good upgrade options.

kirbyrj said:
I'd just see if you can get a newer board. MSI Neo2 Plat is one of the better with a s939 and NF3.

ASRock Dual SATA2 is also a nice board to replace the one you have with some good upgrade options.

Now I think about it some more, could it just be the video card? None of the other components in my system seem to show any signs of problems, and the PSU (assuming it's good) supplies 12V directly to the video card.

Well, if you're getting readings of 11V on your motherboard, there might be a bigger problem. I know a board can give you some faulty readings, but if the rest of them are right or at least close, but the 12V rail is low then there might be a problem with your 12V regulation.

kirbyrj said:
Well, if you're getting readings of 11V on your motherboard, there might be a bigger problem. I know a board can give you some faulty readings, but if the rest of them are right or at least close, but the 12V rail is low then there might be a problem with your 12V regulation.

Yes the voltage readings on the other rails look fine. A little bit of update, I just checked SpeedFan, Everest, ATI Tray Tools, and BIOS temp monitor, now they all say the +12V rail is at 11.33 - 11.43V, which is dangerously close to the +/- 5% limit (11.4V). Curiously the utility that came with the mobo reports 11.9V. Any ideas?

Is there an updated bios for the board on their website?

As for the voltage, I'm not sure what one is right. But I'm pretty sure that if you're having instability, low voltage like that is the most likely culprit.

kirbyrj said:
Is there an updated bios for the board on their website?

As for the voltage, I'm not sure what one is right. But I'm pretty sure that if you're having instability, low voltage like that is the most likely culprit.

Well I went ahead and ordered a new mobo and video card, along witha new HD (my 6 yr old WD is dying too). And what do you know? My system hasn't acted up in the last few days. Maybe the mobo's afraid for its life :p

Now I just hope my PSU can handle the new video card :(

morfinx said:
Maybe the mobo's afraid for its life :p

That happens to me everytime I buy a new driver. My old one starts hitting the ball straight knowing that it's days are numbered and trying to plant some good memories in my brain for the next time I start slicing or hooking the ball all over the place :D.

You know, I played Guild Wars for a few hours today, and nothing went wrong (although SpeedFan is reporting that 12V rail is sitting at 10.69V right now)! I'm starting to doubt whether I made the right choice going with a new mobo and video card :confused:

I had the same problem with FX5700LE after almost a hole year of working properly. One day I saw many vertical lines at the screen, and I had a PC didn't able to load OS. After change to FX5200 problem was solved, but my old vidocard was R.I.P. I have thought that it had been a problem with 5900LE, but now I'm not sure. Should I buy a new videocard or I should better buy a new motherboard? How can I learn It?

gii said:
I had the same problem with FX5700LE after almost a hole year of working properly. One day I saw many vertical lines at the screen, and I had a PC didn't able to load OS. After change to FX5200 problem was solved, but my old vidocard was R.I.P. I have thought that it had been a problem with 5900LE, but now I'm not sure. Should I buy a new videocard or I should better buy a new motherboard? How can I learn It?

kirbyrj, think I should sell the new mobo and video card, or just keep them?

morfinx said:
If changing out the video card solved your problem, then it was your video card that went bad.

kirbyrj, think I should sell the new mobo and video card, or just keep them?

It depends on what you think you could get for them. Value is relative ;). Personally, I'd make the switch anyway and keep the older one as a backup.

Back