Is my GTX 470 dying or my PSU?

eagleknight

Limp Gawd
Ok, so my display driver keeps crashing. Basically my screens will go black for a second and come back on. In the task bar you see the Nvidia display driver stopped responding and recovered. In the event log nvlddmkm stopped responding. It just so happened I reimaged my system this weekend, but this was happening a day or so before I reimaged and I reimaged for another reason.

System is...
EVGA GTX 470 card
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 mobo
i7-930
Corsair 550 80 plus PSU
6GB OCZ Gold memory
Sandisk extreme 240Gb. (Installed 2 weeks ago and system running no issues for over a week)(Blew out PC with air compressor at this time)

So this is what I have tried so far...
- I have tried the latest Nvidia drivers and also reverted back to some older drives by letting Windows update install.
- I tried turning off power savings in PCI express. (I thought this helped, but then it crashed again)
- Took out card visually inspected and moved to another PCI express slot.
- Lowered CPU and memory clock

I never have really monitored temperatures before on it because I run it stock. Now when I started checking temp it is running 50-58C idle and up to 80C playing a game. I am not sure where to go from here.

You need to do more homework.....Is it crashing at a certain temp? 80 seems a bit hot to be healthy for the card ( I could defiantly see it lowing the life spam of the card under extended use that way)

Try under clocking the card and or set the fan control to 100% above 50 degrees and pay attention to when it crashs...does it happen when overheated?

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason from what I can tell with temperatures. It will crash sitting on the desktop at 50C multiple times. I then play a game where it is 70-80C and it will be fine for awhile then crash... I will try some different options like you said.

My EVGA Geforce 470 GTX died with the exact same symptoms as you. Eventually my computer would boot to a BSOD, so I had to see if it was the video card. So I put a different video card in and boom, everything worked fine. Only issue was the driver was bugged, so I had to reinstall it. Nice thing was EVGA upgraded me to a GTX 570. I would try the card in another computer to see if the issue happens on the other computer or try another card in that computer to see if the issue goes away. Either way you will probably find that the issue is most likely that card.

Last edited:
You need to do more homework.....Is it crashing at a certain temp? 80 seems a bit hot to be healthy for the card ( I could defiantly see it lowing the life spam of the card under extended use that way)

Try under clocking the card and or set the fan control to 100% above 50 degrees and pay attention to when it crashs...does it happen when overheated?

I would've loved to have had my GTX 470 run at 80C. It hits 93C and has for two years or so now, still running great in my old machine. The thermal limit for the GTX470, as per Nvidia's released specifications, is 105C.

I did have similar issues under Windows 8, when I ran that. Back under Windows 7 the issues went away. No idea what OS you are running and aside from the card going, that's all that I can think of at the moment.

I am running Windows 7 64bit. I originally bought a EVGA GTX 460 SC off a member here and that card arrived buggy as all hell. Temperatures went mid 90's instantly and even at idle and was very unstable. The member was nice enough to do RMA for me and send the card to me and EVGA sent back the 470. But it was kinda a pain. This 470 has been good for a year up until now.

You should also inspect the capacitors on the mobo, to see if there's any in bad shape.

I think it's a driver issue. I've had the same thing all of a sudden but only in a certain game.. (but not something heavily taxing, games like BF3 etc. are fine..) there might be some 470 incompatabilities in the recent drivers for whatever reason...

I think it's a driver issue. I've had the same thing all of a sudden but only in a certain game.. (but not something heavily taxing, games like BF3 etc. are fine..) there might be some 470 incompatabilities in the recent drivers for whatever reason...

I agree.

GTX 470 is great durable card.

I maybe found the culprit. After taking the card out tonight and reapplying thermal paste I still had no success. Then when checking my startup because I was removing all the drivers again I saw a program called IEHighutil.exe, which was located under the c:\temporary folder. Some searching turned up that it is a virus that uses your GPU to mine bitcoin.I guess it come through a Java exploit, but I am not sure how I got it because I don;t even have Java installed yet since I reimaged the PC a few days ago. I guess it is fairly new within the last month because bitdefender did not pick it up. I was able to just manually remove it and delete the folder. I installed the latest drivers again and seem to be stable for now. After I go a few days I will feel much better. Here is a post I found over at EVGA...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1886245&mpage=1

I maybe found the culprit. After taking the card out tonight and reapplying thermal paste I still had no success. Then when checking my startup because I was removing all the drivers again I saw a program called IEHighutil.exe, which was located under the c:\temporary folder. Some searching turned up that it is a virus that uses your GPU to mine bitcoin.I guess it come through a Java exploit, but I am not sure how I got it because I don;t even have Java installed yet since I reimaged the PC a few days ago. I guess it is fairly new within the last month because bitdefender did not pick it up. I was able to just manually remove it and delete the folder. I installed the latest drivers again and seem to be stable for now. After I go a few days I will feel much better. Here is a post I found over at EVGA...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1886245&mpage=1

Whoa... didn't expect to hear about this kind of a problem.

Good to know. I am going to keep a look out for this Bitcoin Virus bandit.

Back