Is my CPU enough for a gtx 1080?

• Thread starter Deleted member 85430
  • Start date
Awww, yes, low power, lowclocked haswell i5 will be a painful bottleneck for a GTX 1080 even at 2560x1440.

I say, the answer is: one way to find out. If it runs the games you want to play at the frame rates you are wanting, all is well! If it does not, you have a future proof video card around which you need to plan your next upgrade.

At the end of the day, the 1080 is a great investment. The only question is, are you willing to make it at this time, if potentially you'll be CPU limited as hell, at least temporarily. Which I would assume you will be. Given that I assume the processor will remain within its advertised TDP, meaning the Turbo Boost can only run on so many cores?

are you kind of retarded to not know the difference between a quad core/eight thread 4.5ghz CPU versus a quad core/ four threads 3.0ghz (max turbo on 4 core load when stressed) CPU? the shit will perform even worse than a 2500K at stock settings which turbo to 3.5ghz on all core at stock.

you want to see how it perform with a Titan X (slower than the GTX 1080 by a good margin)

isn't the video enough?

oh wait.. an extra it even bottleneck at 1440P in GPU bound games:

GTAV said:
CPU_01.png

Just imagine what it can cause in heavy CPU intensive games, as Watch dogs 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 4, Battlefield tittles, etc etc..? lol. next time stop embarrassing yourself and stop misinforming users..

i5 4570S it's far away of being anything close to be a good gaming CPU first it's locked, and second it's designed to run at LOW power. so it tend to just run at 3ghz - 3.2ghz if you are lucky when all cores are under load.

are you kind of retarded to not know the difference between a quad core/eight thread 4.5ghz CPU versus a quad core/ four threads 3.0ghz (max turbo on 4 core load when stressed) CPU? the shit will perform even worse than a 2500K at stock settings which turbo to 3.5ghz on all core at stock.

you want to see how it perform with a Titan X (slower than the GTX 1080 by a good margin)

isn't the video enough?

oh wait.. an extra it even bottleneck at 1440P in GPU bound games:

Just imagine what it can cause in heavy CPU intensive games, as Watch dogs 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 4, Battlefield tittles, etc etc..? lol. next time stop embarrassing yourself and stop misinforming users..

i5 4570S it's far away of being anything close to be a good gaming CPU first it's locked, and second it's designed to run at LOW power. so it tend to just run at 3ghz - 3.2ghz if you are lucky when all cores are under load.

.... Look at the numbers you're actually quoting.

An i5 3470 is less than 10% lower FPS than a 5960X. A 2500 is a whopping 15% slower than a 5960X.

I'll bet his CPU will do just fine with a 1080.

Would a faster CPU run it better? Of freaking course it would!
But his CPU won't stick him at 25FPS or something terrible, it's still going to be very capable and run decent FPS still.

What are you trying to play? You could always buy the 1080 and upgrade your CPU later. You'll still be able to play games with it just will be running at probably 60-70% it's potential.

What are you trying to play? You could always buy the 1080 and upgrade your CPU later. You'll still be able to play games with it just will be running at probably 60-70% it's potential.

i'd like to run 2560x1440 and let my tv upscale to 4k. i usually play: watchdogs 2, gta5, skyrim modded, fallout 4, prey, bf1, bf4, infinite warefare, cod4 remastered etc...

.... Look at the numbers you're actually quoting.

An i5 3470 is less than 10% lower FPS than a 5960X. A 2500 is a whopping 15% slower than a 5960X.

I'll bet his CPU will do just fine with a 1080.

Would a faster CPU run it better? Of freaking course it would!
But his CPU won't stick him at 25FPS or something terrible, it's still going to be very capable and run decent FPS still.

I agree and think the guy you quoted is overreacting. The 1080 paired with a 4570S will be fine.

Assuming you're at 1920x1080 it will be a 'bottleneck' in the sense that you may not get the full expected performance. However you will still get great framerates overall and surely a boosted experience over whatever you have now presumably it's mid-tier from that generation (same as CPU).

If you're at 1440p or higher it will be even less of an issue.

I would consider, however, looking at trying to source perhaps a cheap used 4790k and drop it in?

Alternatively consider the GTX 1070 Ti as well.

Assuming you're at 1920x1080 it will be a 'bottleneck' in the sense that you may not get the full expected performance. However you will still get great framerates overall and surely a boosted experience over whatever you have now presumably it's mid-tier from that generation (same as CPU).

If you're at 1440p or higher it will be even less of an issue.

I would consider, however, looking at trying to source perhaps a cheap used 4790k and drop it in?

Alternatively consider the GTX 1070 Ti as well.

i have a 4790k in one of my machines that i use for video editing and davinci. i can't touch it. - in my sig.

the card i have now is a RX 570 MSI gaming.

If your upgrade budget is only in the range of $500, the bottom end of a new 1080, then getting a 1080 is going to give you the most upgrade for your buck. Bar none.

If you went to a faster and overclock-able i7 with hyper-threading, you're going to be down to $350 or (likely) less left over. Maybe enough to find a 1070 on a sale.

A 4570s is only a hair faster than a stock 2500k so not too terrible and should still be ok for keeping 60 fps in most games but dont expect that in every title. I guarantee you that it will be fully pegged in many newer games and you will see some stutter and hitching in a game like Mafia 3 for sure.

And why is this about the 4570s when there is a 4790k in your sig?

A 4570s is only a hair faster than a stock 2500k so not too terrible and should still be ok for keeping 60 fps in most games but dont expect that in every title. I guarantee you that it will be fully pegged in many newer games and you will see some stutter and hitching in a game like Mafia 3 for sure.

And why is this about the 4570s when there is a 4790k in your sig?

"i have a 4790k in one of my machines that i use for video editing and davinci. i can't touch it. - in my sig."

i'd like to run 2560x1440 and let my tv upscale to 4k. i usually play: watchdogs 2, gta5, skyrim modded, fallout 4, prey, bf1, bf4, infinite warefare, cod4 remastered etc...

Do those games run ok now at 720p ish? If so, the cpu won't hurt you too much with a 1080 at higher res, but if the cpu limits you now at lower res the 1080 won't alleviate it. It'll let you run higher res and more graphics settings at similar performance.

i have a 4790k in one of my machines that i use for video editing and davinci. i can't touch it. - in my sig.

the card i have now is a RX 570 MSI gaming.

On your current RX 570 and that CPU, turn your resolution down to 720p or something and turn all settings to low/medium. Game on that and see if you are fine with your FPS (especially the minimums). If you are happy with the FPS then buy the 1080 and enjoy pretty much the same experience but running at native resolution with all settings high/maxed.

Edit: just realized I said the same thing as bob above XD

On your current RX 570 and that CPU, turn your resolution down to 720p or something and turn all settings to low/medium. Game on that and see if you are fine with your FPS (especially the minimums). If you are happy with the FPS then buy the 1080 and enjoy pretty much the same experience but running at native resolution with all settings high/maxed.

Edit: just realized I said the same thing as bob above XD

lol i didn't want to say anything. i'll try that tonight. thanks folks!

I run an i5 2400 CPU w/ 1080 GTX on a 4K TV. No issues. These people are insane.

I run an i5 2400 CPU w/ 1080 GTX on a 4K TV. No issues. These people are insane.
So because you have low standards and or are quite oblivious then that makes other people insane? You claiming "no issues" does not change the fact about that CPU being a limitation in many games and even some stutter in a few titles.

So because you have low standards and or are quite oblivious then that makes other people insane? You claiming "no issues" does not change the fact about that CPU being a limitation in some games and some stutter in a few titles.

The fact that him upgrading to a 1080 over his current RX 580 will give him a performance boost beyond what any CPU upgrade will give him is what makes you people insane.

He will be able to play all those games BETTER than his current GPU, by a good margin.

The fact that him upgrading to a 1080 over his current RX 580 will give him a performance boost beyond what any CPU upgrade will give him is what makes you people insane.

He will be able to play all those games BETTER than his current GPU, by a good margin.
And no one is denying that as far as I can see. The main point being made is that that CPU will be holding back some games from even maintaining 60fps and he is going to get some stutter in some games too.

I'd get a 1070Ti. Sell your processor. With the proceeds from your CPU sale and the savings of the 1070Ti, buy a used 4770k and overclock it to 4Ghz or so. I doubt there'd be a ton of out of pocket expense unless you got a killer deal on a used 1080.

Back