Is modular cabling universal?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Just picked up a modular 850w Seasonic and it's missing most of the cables. I have enough spares to replace them but I don't know which PSU's the spares came with. Will I let the magic smoke out if I assume they're all the same?

TIA :)

Just picked up a modular 850w Seasonic and it's missing most of the cables. I have enough spares to replace them but I don't know which PSU's the spares came with. Will I let the magic smoke out if I assume they're all the same?

Not the same, don't use the cables unless you are positive they are compatible. If you need any specific ones I have extras I believe. PM me if needed.

If you have a pin tool and a multimeter you could probably repin some of them, as long as there aren't any shens with splices, etc.

They're emphatically not universal, oftentimes not even within the same brand. If you modify cables to work, make sure to take this advice
If you have a pin tool and a multimeter you could probably repin some of them, as long as there aren't any shens with splices, etc.
and confirm the layout on the actual unit with a meter- a few months ago I misread a modular pinout diagram while making a custom wiring loom and let enormous quantities of magic smoke out of an AIO (fortunately a used one that was already nearing EOL)

not really. some oems models will share a pinout but not cross-brand. google the brand for a cross reference.

Cablemod makes sets and individual cables for pretty much anything Seasonic. I've got a focus px-850 that I replaced the cables with a set of Cablemods and have been really happy with them. They aren't cheap but they are worth it.

I wish they were. Learned years ago, bad combination of Andyson crappy OCP and incompatible cable and FLAMING VRM on DFI Lanparty X48 board! It actually made the overhead lights flicker and I'm usually accustomed to that kind of light show with much higher voltages in industrial equipment going awry.

I wish they were. Learned years ago, bad combination of Andyson crappy OCP and incompatible cable and FLAMING VRM on DFI Lanparty X48 board! It actually made the overhead lights flicker and I'm usually accustomed to that kind of light show with much higher voltages in industrial equipment going awry.
700v 60Hz go BRRP!

Going through the same thing sort of. Routed all the cables only to find the 24 to 18 pin connector was actually 24 to 24. The 18 goes to the PSU.

Back