Is it worth upgrading to r1600 from 2500k?

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi everyone!

Overall I have:
-gtx 1060 gigabyte 6gb g1 (new)
-evga g2 550w psu (new)
-fractal define c case (new)
-3.5' sshdd firecuda (system is on plextor ssd) (new)
-fiio e10k as sound card
-2500k, asrock p67 pro3, 2x8gb kingstone 1333 (2012)

2500k is running stable at 4.5 for like 5 years now. It's crazy and it still seems ok. Macho 120 with corsair 120 fan on it.
Running on asrock p67 pro3. It's usb ports are problematic, it does not have usb3 front headers. It have pci-e x2 and it's ethernet card broke so I had to get pci one. But the board still works and does the job.
Now, I get about 11500 points in firestrike 3dmark just for reference.

The only thing I know is that most recommended cpu now is ryzen 1600 with it's stock cooling. Not sure what mobo or ram I would need to get.... but overall is it worth the upgrade? Or just a waste of money that could be put elsewhere (like new monitor).

br

That is probably a good advise... I just sold oculus rift and the money is kinda burning a hole in my pocket hehe. I never was a saving type but it's naver too late to start

Sounds like you want a new monitor so you might look into that first and then save up for a new cpu next unless you're afraid your board might start having more issues.

Stick with your 2500k until it dies... I'm doing that with my 2600k as there's little reason for me to upgrade other than shiny new tech like USB 3.1. I plan on upgrading eventually, but I keep pushing it off as it's all been a side grade until coffee lake.

Sounds like you want a new monitor so you might look into that first and then save up for a new cpu next unless you're afraid your board might start having more issues.
I am also looking into monitors as You've noticed :)

I either want 60hz or if I would want to go higher like 144, then g sync seems to be my only option because I will never reach 144fps in new games and g sync should make it more sufferable. Then there is Tn vs Ips. One have bad viewing angles and other ips glow. Same contrast (tn could appear better because no glow). Unfortunately there is not much choice in VA category.... Yep... I did a little bit of research !

So dbl edged sword. Upgrade your monitor and your 1060 may not be sufficient. Especially if you go 4k. Really depends on what kind of games you play. Heavy FPS then you want Hz. RPG's you want Resolution. Either one I would only get IPS or VA (big screen).
Not sure you want to dump this kind of money on a monitor but how nice is this:

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC
https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM

Would wait for some of the new G-Sync HDR monitors to hit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With Coffee Lake coming soon and @6 Threads, 10% better IPC, up to 40% performance increase and 2 additional cores, unless budget is the primary factor, wait for Coffee Lake. Rumored to be $350 and if motherboards stay reasonable, should be a great platform.

So dbl edged sword. Upgrade your monitor and your 1060 may not be sufficient. Especially if you go 4k. Really depends on what kind of games you play. Heavy FPS then you want Hz. RPG's you want Resolution. Either one I would only get IPS or VA (big screen).
Not sure you want to dump this kind of money on a monitor but how nice is this:

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC
https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM

Would wait for some of the new G-Sync HDR monitors to hit.
This is also interesting but seems like waiting is indeed the best course of action for now.
Vader Yeah let's see how "coffee" will perform

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm tough choice ... Don't forget ddr4 is pretty expensive too if you go with any new platform. I would say maybe it's worth an i7 3770k if you actually need more threads but probably not worth the cost for the minimal gains. As far as ryzen it's maybe on par with you current chip at best in single core stuff. I would vote running your current platform until the Mobo flaked out completely.
As for 4k monitors you can always run games at 1080p if you cannot push it with the 1060, and eventually gpus are bound to come down in price.

Hmm tough choice ... Don't forget ddr4 is pretty expensive too if you go with any new platform. I would say maybe it's worth an i7 3770k if you actually need more threads but probably not worth the cost for the minimal gains. As far as ryzen it's maybe on par with you current chip at best in single core stuff. I would vote running your current platform until the Mobo flaked out completely.
As for 4k monitors you can always run games at 1080p if you cannot push it with the 1060, and eventually gpus are bound to come down in price.
That is kinda already decided. I will wait until it dies or is too slow.

How does 1080p look on 2k or 4k displays? Terrible as I imagine ?

It depends on the tv or monitor but in essence for 4k showing 1080p it does 4 pixels the same color, a 1440p 2560x1440 is similar, but from experience it depends on their monitor. For example my 27 in HP doesn't scale well to 1080p.

Back