Is it time to say goodbye to 1440p?

TV quality has little bearing on what the consoles are doing. Game developers will keep pushing for ever more impressive graphics so there will still be plenty of games that use checkerboard rendering, dynamic resolution or upscaling from 1440p. Especially if they want to target 60 fps as well, which I really hope they do because 30 fps is just rubbish.
I was commenting more on display picture quality for part of my comment. Televisions are far ahead of monitors right now. I simply want a monitor that is on par with a VA quantum dot or OLED.

They have a lot of GPU now. There were native 4K titles in the current generation.
most of those arent really 4k either or are locked to 30fps. to get 4k/60 they are using all sorts of res scaling, dynamic res, checkerboarding, lowered settings and other "tricks".

FWIW, I recently got the LG 27GN950-B which is the (supposedly...) highly anticipated 4k 144hz Nano IPS screen. It is gorgeous, but was it worth it moving from 1440p? Personally I don't think so...

1440p on a 27" is pretty sharp, IMO, and I found it to be the perfect combination of PPI and Performance. I was using the Asus PG279Q, and even though it's dated it's still a really, really good monitor, however I gave it to a family member who needed one urgently. B&H just received stock at the same time of the Acer XB3 series 24.5" 1080p IPS 240hz monitor which I've been keeping my eye on for a while, so when they got stock in I jumped on it. Move forward a few weeks and my son is complaining of headaches using the Gigabyte CV27Q 27" Curved 165hz monitor. So... bye bye Acer XB3, I gave that to my son who's headaches are now gone, and the CV27Q went to an inlaw. This is when I found the LG 27GN950-B that had finally been released last week, and came into stock so I nicked one from Amazon.

So... how has 4k been from 1440p? I personally don't like it. The PPI is too tiny for a 27" monitor, I suppose if you get a 32" it's fine but 32" is getting on the larger side since I sit so close to my screen anyways (about 1.5-2ft). I honestly miss my XB3 1080p 24" monitor. I find 24" to be the perfect monitor size... sure it has a less PPI than a 27" with 1440p but I find the 24" size much more easier on my eyes. If you're at 1440P right now, I wouldn't jump to 4k, but that's just my opinion... Unless you're going to get a 32" or bigger, 4k is just way too tiny on a 27" and the performance you'll loose over 1440P isn't worth it. 1440p is still very sharp, so if I could make the choice again I would either have ordered another XB3 24", or grabbed the 27GL850-B monitor you mentioned. Actually, the monitor I really wanted was the Viewsonic XG270QG, which uses the same panel as the LG (27GL850) but apparently has a big higher contrast and is native G-Sync. Could not find it in stock though.

EDIT: Played some RDR2 in 4k tonight... I may have a different opinion now... :D

Last edited:
Unless you're going to get a 32" or bigger
I'll emphasize the 'bigger'; I wind up using scaling or just setting my 32" 4k to 1440p. 38" would probably be comfortable, but we're kind of at the point where curved monitors start to make sense. It keeps the relative PPI (pixels per degree?) consisent across a larger display space.

I'll emphasize the 'bigger'; I wind up using scaling or just setting my 32" 4k to 1440p. 38" would probably be comfortable, but we're kind of at the point where curved monitors start to make sense. It keeps the relative PPI (pixels per degree?) consisent across a larger display space.
That defeats the purpose of high PPI. 4k is fine on 32" although I would actually prefer 5k to have scaling work correctly (without blur) even for old apps that don't respect PPI settings. The point of high PPI is proper font rendering, not pixelated like on 96 PPI (yes I can see the pixelated edges of text at normal (1m+) viewing distance and once you get used to high PPI you can't go back). 27" 1440p will be better but I still prefer 4k even there, using 150% or 175% scaling under windows, all new apps respect this and look super sharp. For games it doesn't make that much sense since 1440p was clear enough already, but you still get some texture sharpness benefits most noticeable where hair or fur is involved (and you can leave out anti aliasing or crank it way down) if you have a GPU that can drive it...

Last edited:
That defeats the purpose of high PPI. 4k is fine on 32" although I would actually prefer 5k to have scaling work correctly (without blur) even for old apps that don't respect PPI settings. The point of high PPI is proper font rendering, not pixelated like on 96 PPI (yes I can see the pixelated edges of text at normal (1m+) viewing distance and once you get used to high PPI you can't go back). 27" 1440p will be better but I still prefer 4k even there, using 150% or 175% scaling under windows, all new apps respect this and look super sharp. For games it doesn't make that much sense since 1440p was clear enough already, but you still get some texture sharpness benefits most noticeable where hair or fur is involved (and you can leave out anti aliasing or crank it way down) if you have a GPU that can drive it...

I agree with this. I have the whopping LG CX 48" OLED on my desk at about 85-90 cm distance and I still use 120% scaling on it because it results in a more comfortable text size and better text rendering for the viewing distance. Even at 1440p I prefer 110-120% scaling but do it by increasing text size rather than using OS DPI scaling options. Set up like this the 4k 48" and 27" 1440p I have next to each other end up looking perceptually similar for text but the 4K of course has massively more desktop space.

32-40" is a good spot for 4K if you want to keep it at closer desktop viewing distances. Larger than that and you definitely need to set everything up further away.

FWIW, I recently got the LG 27GN950-B which is the (supposedly...) highly anticipated 4k 144hz Nano IPS screen. It is gorgeous, but was it worth it moving from 1440p? Personally I don't think so...

1440p on a 27" is pretty sharp, IMO, and I found it to be the perfect combination of PPI and Performance. I was using the Asus PG279Q, and even though it's dated it's still a really, really good monitor, however I gave it to a family member who needed one urgently. B&H just received stock at the same time of the Acer XB3 series 24.5" 1080p IPS 240hz monitor which I've been keeping my eye on for a while, so when they got stock in I jumped on it. Move forward a few weeks and my son is complaining of headaches using the Gigabyte CV27Q 27" Curved 165hz monitor. So... bye bye Acer XB3, I gave that to my son who's headaches are now gone, and the CV27Q went to an inlaw. This is when I found the LG 27GN950-B that had finally been released last week, and came into stock so I nicked one from Amazon.

So... how has 4k been from 1440p? I personally don't like it. The PPI is too tiny for a 27" monitor, I suppose if you get a 32" it's fine but 32" is getting on the larger side since I sit so close to my screen anyways (about 1.5-2ft). I honestly miss my XB3 1080p 24" monitor. I find 24" to be the perfect monitor size... sure it has a less PPI than a 27" with 1440p but I find the 24" size much more easier on my eyes. If you're at 1440P right now, I wouldn't jump to 4k, but that's just my opinion... Unless you're going to get a 32" or bigger, 4k is just way too tiny on a 27" and the performance you'll loose over 1440P isn't worth it. 1440p is still very sharp, so if I could make the choice again I would either have ordered another XB3 24", or grabbed the 27GL850-B monitor you mentioned. Actually, the monitor I really wanted was the Viewsonic XG270QG, which uses the same panel as the LG (27GL850) but apparently has a big higher contrast and is native G-Sync. Could not find it in stock though.

EDIT: Played some RDR2 in 4k tonight... I may have a different opinion now... :D

Why don't you just turn on some scaling? Try 150%... it will make the text the same size as your 1440p 27" but it will look much sharper!

For me saying goodbye to 1080p rn :p still using a 240Hz 25" 1080p monitor but planning to upgrade to one of the new "Fast IPS" panels, 32" 1440p with 144Hz+ refresh rate, maybe the upcoming ASUS with 175Hz or some BenQ one depending how well they've hopefully managed to improve ASUS ELMB. BenQ DyAc strobing feature is really great for gaming, much more so than the very high refresh rates, for me those are the sort of things that attract me more right now than the switch to 4K.

Back