Is it Time to Reconsider Firefox?

Is chrome compatible with windows 7 yet?

& running 3.5.6 without any issues on w7 64 bit for awhile.

Chrome runs fine in Win7.
I love the Google bar address bar of Chrome, but I'm so used to Fx at this point it's hard to switch. I have been sporadically giving Chrome trial shots though (for a few days) so we'll see. It definitely feels faster than any other browser to me.

For the last year, FF has given me so much shit, it started after an update awhile back.

First issue:

After browsing for an hour, FF would hog a ton of resources

2nd:

Flash freezing, doesn't happen on IE, hmmm?

3rd: Would max out my internet connection, only way to stop it was to block firefox via firewall, then restart.

4th:

I used to love it, but damn, it can be a piece of shit!

1) Out of curiosity, what are you calling a "ton" of resources?

2) Flash uses a different plugin in IE than it does for everything else. Thus, testing Flash in IE doesn't tell you whether its the browser or not. Make sure you've updated Flash for other browsers!

3) Sounds like you have a malicious or corrupted addon or install. I'd recommend uninstalling it and reinstalling it. :/

Sticking with ff until chrome and roboform can play nicely together...then will give chrome a try.

I use Chrome and Opera. Haven't used Firefox regularly in a few years. I still have it installed though.

Really I was one of those posers who used Firefox not because of the add-ons but because it was the thing to do. In windows 7 I switched to Chrome only because of the added screen space you get with it (even with the task bar small). I have had no problems at all with it. The only thing I noticed is Firefox is more RAM usage and Chrome is more CPU usage. On my system doesn't really matter either way except for the reason I listed. To each his own I say. But obviously the more popular, the more targeted it will be :) .

1) Out of curiosity, what are you calling a "ton" of resources?

2) Flash uses a different plugin in IE than it does for everything else. Thus, testing Flash in IE doesn't tell you whether its the browser or not. Make sure you've updated Flash for other browsers!

3) Sounds like you have a malicious or corrupted addon or install. I'd recommend uninstalling it and reinstalling it. :/

Been browsing for about 3 hours, currently have... 6 tabs open (I have six set for homepages, saves time. ) annnd... DRUM ROLL PLEASE! 550MB total usage.

Flash sucks in FF too.

I wish chrome were cooler. I dislike the UI. and firefox really is beginning to be a bitch. I've been using it since... 1.3? It's been great til... version 3.

Flash sucks

Fixed that for you :p

No, but seriously, its the flash PLUGIN that sucks, not Firefox. Firefox doesn't magically make flash suck more. Use flash in Chrome and you'll see the same crappy behavior (even worse in Chrome as Chrome crashes far more often than Firefox)

Firefox uses too much memory and also tends to be more CPU intensive. I used to use Firefox but now I have switched to IE. I found IE to be excellent at memory management and the CPU utilization while playing flash is the lowest among all other browsers

Chrome plus the extensions is also an excellent choice. I still prefer IE, but Chrome is good

Memory is actually pretty similar between those two browsers in reality. It's just that it's seems to use a lot less as windows can hide a lot of it under a svchost service. Its sort of the same mentality of why some people think system themes are free of resources.

If anything I give chrome is that it just allows flash to crash instead of trying to keep it going like IE and FF does, this is also why it seems like it uses less memory.

Fixed that for you :p

No, but seriously, its the flash PLUGIN that sucks, not Firefox. Firefox doesn't magically make flash suck more. Use flash in Chrome and you'll see the same crappy behavior (even worse in Chrome as Chrome crashes far more often than Firefox)

Oh believe me I know it's just the plugin :p Not firefox. But it's less terrible in IE. lol

If anything I give chrome is that it just allows flash to crash instead of trying to keep it going like IE and FF does, this is also why it seems like it uses less memory.

A good idea in theory, but flash crashes in Chrome far more often than it does in Firefox, for me anyway. I can't even remember the last time Firefox crashed on me (Flash or otherwise), whereas Chrome crashes every other day it seems like.

Back