Is it time to drop the DVI ports on video cards?

HDMI isn't that great because of the royalties and licensing fees necessary to incorporate the port into your hardware. DisplayPort is better in pretty much every way, we just need to get TVs to start using it so it becomes more popular.
What part of HDMI is patented anyway? It's not that different from DVI which doesn't require royalties AFAIK.

Is it time to drop the DVI ports on video cards?
What problem would that solve?
I'd like to see DP inputs and outputs on more monitors and video cards / motherboards.

I will only consider DP and HDMI(2.0) monitors from now on.
But many people with monitors like mine, U3011, still need to use DVI as input.

DVI will still be around for a while, they just need to reduce the number from 2 to 1, then at some point make it obsolete.

There's no need to drop the dvi ports entirely, but it would be nice if they did 1x hdmi, 1x dvi, and 2x DP. Not being able to connect multiple DP monitors to one video card is a problem with current port layouts, especially with 4k monitors essentially requiring DP.

Either that, or drop the full-size displayport ports for minidp so that 2 can fit along with the dvi and hdmi ports.

Whatever the solution, the current standard port layout is not very useful at all.

What part of HDMI is patented anyway? It's not that different from DVI which doesn't require royalties AFAIK.

Not patented, licensed. And good luck selling HDMI cables when you can't use "HDMI" anywhere.

I hope it isn't time to drop them... i feel like i do most of my monitor hotswapping with DVI cables since every video card or monitor seems to uniformly support them at this point.

And have you seen DVI's shortcomings...among the top being that no one has been maintaining or upgrading the standard for almost a decade nor has anyone shown any desire to update it? There's also the 1600p cap as well as the lack of audio.

HDMI sure as hell ain't perfect and I've ranted about it on occasion, but I'd take DP any chance I'd get over DVI at this point. In fact it is what I have my sig rig plugged with.

uh, why does it need to be upgraded when it works and has worked for 99.99% of setups since it was released? 4k has only recently been introduced. and why does it need to carry audio? no one with a proper setup uses that functionality. it's a gimmick. the only thing better than dvi is displayport and it's no where near mainstream yet.

There's no need to drop the dvi ports entirely, but it would be nice if they did 1x hdmi, 1x dvi, and 2x DP. Not being able to connect multiple DP monitors to one video card is a problem with current port layouts, especially with 4k monitors essentially requiring DP.

Either that, or drop the full-size displayport ports for minidp so that 2 can fit along with the dvi and hdmi ports.

Whatever the solution, the current standard port layout is not very useful at all.

I think my current card has what you want, 2x dvi, 2x mini dp, 1x hdmi
I think one of the dvi ports is shared with the hdmi though, so you can't use 2 dvi and the hdmi.

A card could fit 3x DP and 1x HDMI on the same backplate, leaving the whole second backplate as the output for the cooler, thus giving a cooler card. A HDMI port is still needed for HTPC operations where the attached display device is a TV.

I think my current card has what you want, 2x dvi, 2x mini dp, 1x hdmi
I think one of the dvi ports is shared with the hdmi though, so you can't use 2 dvi and the hdmi.

Yeah, 7970s and some of the dual gpu cards do have the dual minidp which is really nice. Unfortunately nothing current gen has them... hopefully next gen will use that layout or something similar, given that 4k monitors pretty much require Displayport and future ones will require HDMI, not DVI, and most monitors released today have DP.

Kind of a step backward that some older cards had this and no current gen ones do!

A card could fit 3x DP and 1x HDMI on the same backplate, leaving the whole second backplate as the output for the cooler, thus giving a cooler card. A HDMI port is still needed for HTPC operations where the attached display device is a TV.

I have a 5870 Eyefinity 6 in my other rig and always wondered why they just didn't stick with the design. Hot air exited the 2nd slot and came with a slew of diff adapters. Made life a lot easier for is multi monitor guys. I'm thinking the only issue was these didn't have a dual link dvi adapter for people and they would be forced to pony up $80 for one.

I'd rather have DVI-D, HDMI, and DP all on one backplate on all cards. Having every card be able to support low profile brackets would be great, especially when putting a waterblock on the card.

This is simply not true. A quick look at the usual suspects (e.g. Novatech) indicates that 1080p and 1440p monitors with HDMI or DP or both vastly outnumber those with only DVI.

DP isn't exactly common for 1080p, but is for 1440p

low end is where volume is now sort based on price for the size... I know its stupid but the low end is still dominated by DVI.

Volume is the only thing that matters... Besides the average cards are 2 to even 3 slots wide anyway. I have some visiontek cards with SIX DP's but then use the DVI dongle which just isn't clean.

Now think of things like KVM's most of those still use VGA. Thats the real high end side of things.

Why the fuck do we have to drop the DVI port? Sounds like a stupid question. Tons of monitors out there that still use it. My monitor from last year needs DVI-D to process 3D and also run 144 Hz. Not sure if it is possible on HDMI.

Yeah I say drop hdmi and include a pin compatible adapter. Dp is great, definitely my next purchase when it comes to a monitor... But not yet.

And have you seen DVI's shortcomings...among the top being that no one has been maintaining or upgrading the standard for almost a decade nor has anyone shown any desire to update it? There's also the 1600p cap as well as the lack of audio.
DVI has no 1600p cap, I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Dual-Link DVI has no fixed bandwidth limitation. It's quite possible to run 3840x2160 @ 60Hz over DVI as long as the source device is capable and the DVI cable is of high enough quality.

DVI is so good and so extensible that HDMI is based directly on it... And lets not forget, you can't adapt HDMI up to full dual-link DVI, but you can adapt any DVI port down to HDMI (with audio if the adapter and the source support it)

Honestly makes more sense to include 2x DVI + as many mini-DisplayPort connectors as will fit on the back of the card. Ditch HDMI ports and just toss in a couple DVI-to-HDMI dongles.

You know whatever happened to all of those promised display port hubs that were supposed to be cheap and plentiful? Even the daisy chain DP port isn't even on monitors as they once said they would.

You know whatever happened to all of those promised display port hubs that were supposed to be cheap and plentiful? Even the daisy chain DP port isn't even on monitors as they once said they would.

You can buy one from EVGA. Here's the link: http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=200-DP-1301-L1

$99 regular price, $79 after mail-in rebate.

Edit1: Whoops, EVGA is out of stock. Here it is at Newegg for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998089
Edit2: Club3D also makes a competing MST hub, but it's a bit more expensive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814997003

Last edited:
According to one of the comments there they don't work with Intel on-board graphics.

According to one of the comments there they don't work with Intel on-board graphics.

Not true, MST is supported by Haswell integrated graphics:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/44325

But there is a caveat: for now Intel only supports 3 simultaneous displays under any configuration. This will probably increase in number once the next generation comes along (and MST hubs become more commonplace).

Dell 2000FP connected via DVI.
I've had this $750 monitor since brand new and wont give it up till it dies.

But they're a very small minority of monitors currently on sale.

Video cards do not push the sale of monitors, people buy video cards to go along with their set up. I'd wager a majority of the monitors out there are 5+ years old. You can't stamp out dvi yet. Plus I hate hdmi as a connector, a cheap dvi cable is so much more secure then a high-end hdmi.

Back