• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is It The End? CPU Heating Problems...

DrDeathGNJ

Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Messages
726
So here is I have a CPU that is just not showing longevity anymore. Meaning... System started shutting off out of the blue. So I checked the temp in POST and it was rather high. So I changed the FAN and the system still would shut down randomly. Then for S***s and Giggles I replaced the Power supply and of course that had nothing to dow ith it. I again replaced the FAN a few times just to make sure and the damn system still would shut down and it was getting worse. CPU temp was break 180 f and above 200 f with no load on it, remember this is all in post! Making it to windows would allow less then five mintues before system would just turn off.

So am I right in thinking this CPU is or has gone BYE BYE? Just looking for confirmation from all my fellow PC peeps out here!
 
OH and the CPU mentioned above is not mine as listed in my signature. Its a friends system!
 
Could mean any number of things including improperly seated heatsink, improperly controlled fans, and dust buildup, etc.

If the machine runs there's likely nothing wrong with the processor.

If they don't use it for anything astounding, try underclocking it and work with it from there.
 
Yeah I have done the dedust thing reseated the fan a million times and also checked and replaced any other fans.
It still just over heats and shuts down.
It was working fine for a very long time and then started about a few months ago and progressively got worse.
I really think the CPU became damaged overtime probably because of improper ventilation. This person does little if any maintenance on their computer. Total noob in every way.
 
Di you try reseating the heatsink as well as cleaning off the old compound and using new compound?

What heatsink is on it? Does it have heatpipes?

I've seen a few heatpipe based hestsinks where the heatpipes failed and would cause the heatsink to not work properly and cause the CPU to overheat very very quickly... like before it booted into Windows.
 
I'd agree with reseating the heatsink and redoing the thermal paste and seeing what happens.
 
What happens if you leave the case's side panel open? Is the cpu heatsink fan even spinning at full speed? Ya, I think reapply the core with an aftermarket thermal paste would help.
 
CPU temp was break 180 f and above 200 f with no load on it, remember this is all in post!

Could you stick your finger in there and feel around the HS and chip to see if it's really getting that hot?

I have one of those remote temp probes that might be handy in this situation.

How about taking the side panel off and blowing a fan in there? Maybe that makes a difference?

I'm just wondering if this is a chip problem, or MB probe problem.

I never had a chip die and IDK if rising temps would be a symptom.
 
I had a similar problem with an old 845gbv mobo..and I can tell you the end result for my one was: DEAD!
 
Well in a nut shell heres what I have figured out and thanks for all your input. It did indeed help because I went over everything everyone mentioned here.

ODDLY enough it appears to be two things... One the PSU is absolutely flaky. I got a tester from a friend and DING thats problem number one. Number two the CPU does appear to be damged somehow maybe from the PSU and all the power failures that have been getting worse like I mentioned. The Seat on the CPU fan is perfect and I have done that a few million times. However the CPU seems to be damaged none the less. The Temp is way above nomral. 170 - 180F. The fan is a thermaltake and a good one at that!

So there ya have it! Kooky S**T to say the least.? :rolleyes:
 
Yeah usually those cheap branded PSU's can damage your motherboard and other inputs sometimes and it is very possible for it to death. A problem I am having atm.....an old ECS 848P-A motherboard which won't let me boot into windows xp after a 500mhz oc from 2.53GHZ P4 to 3.04GHZ and consistently bsods....I chucked in a slightly lower rated 350w branded psu and bang all working good then the cheap seem to claim "550watt" shitass psu...which made the system unbootable for about 30 mins and then came around when I installed the latter psu!
 
Yeah usually those cheap branded PSU's can damage your motherboard and other inputs sometimes and it is very possible for it to death. A problem I am having atm.....an old ECS 848P-A motherboard which won't let me boot into windows xp after a 500mhz oc from 2.53GHZ P4 to 3.04GHZ and consistently bsods....I chucked in a slightly lower rated 350w branded psu and bang all working good then the cheap seem to claim "550watt" shitass psu...which made the system unbootable for about 30 mins and then came around when I installed the latter psu!


Yeah its still amazing after all these years the shear havoc crap PSU can have and/or do to a system. Annoying to say the least.
 
Back
Top