Is it ram, chip, mobo or me?

I am about to build my daughter a pc using my old motherboard and a new 5800x3d. My board is an Asrock x570 Taichi. My old cpu is a ryzen 3700x. When I built the pc I paired it with 4x8GB of trident z rgb 3600 memory. I have never been able to get the board to launch with xmp profiles enabled, it defaults back to stock speeds. I have updated bios several times, that has not worked. I even used ryzen ram calculator and the bios simply defaulted to stock again. When using HWmonitor's software if I click on the ram my pc freezes. I have been a builder for 20 years. I simply like hardware and watercooling, I do not overclock my cpus or gpus just want my parts to run forever under load at advertised speeds. I have an unused 32 gb kit of corsair dominator 3200. I would prefer not to complete a watercooled hardline build and have to take it apart because the ram cannot hit xmp speeds.

My embarrassing question is this: What is the most likely culprit? Board, CPU, or bad ram? I know this is trivial, the computer worked fine for me without a crash or error for 2 years unless I would run a ram test with AIDA64 or click on the ram tab with HWinfo. Should I plug in the 5800x3d and the 3600 ram or the brand new in the box 3200?

So you are asking if the 5800X3D will work @3600 X4 sticks on a X570?
My guess is yes as it is the final revision of AM4 IMC, but nothing is for certain. 4 sticks I believe is only guaranteed @ 3200. If that is the case then just focus on tightening the timings which should be quite good for a 3600x4 set running @ 3200. That will easily nullify most any gains from a mere 400MHz RAM diff.

Last edited:
up the voltage to 1.4 and try again.
If you mean SOC voltage (which is often important for Zen 2 and 3 RAM Stability), 1.1 or 1.2 should be fine. 1.3 is fairly extreme, but should also be fine. Although not usually needed for the average person trying to simply hit XMP.

If you mean SOC voltage (which is often important for Zen 2 and 3 RAM Stability), 1.1 or 1.2 should be fine. 1.3 is fairly extreme, but should also be fine. Although not usually needed for the average person trying to simply hit XMP.
no, i mean ram voltage. soc is fine on auto which will give 1.1-1.2.

If they are 8GB DIMMs they should be single rank right? I would say you have a very very high chance of running 4 SR sticks at 3600MHz with no or minimal tweaking on Zen 3.

If for some reason these are dual rank DIMMs, it will be difficult. I would keep vSOC at 1.2V or lower for long term personally if you start messing around. But you might need to downclock a little and tighten timings.

As mentioned 4 sticks of RAM can be hard for Ryzen 3000 but Ryzen 5000 handles it very well if there single rank and can typically do 4000+ without a problem but the IF usually tops out around 3733-3800 1:1.

Thanks for the replies to my confusing post. It was late. So consensus seems to be that the 3700 is the likely problem, and a 5800x3d should allow this kit https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840141/F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC-QVL to run at xmp profile speeds? I did run windows memtest and passed no problem. What about hwinfo freezing the pc when I open the memory menu? Again the pc ran perfectly stable at stock speeds, never a hiccup.

I did run windows memtest and passed no problem.
It's ok for finding if you have a dead stick but useless for memory controller instability and not great for slightly unstable RAM.
OCCT RAM test and large CPU stress test are good for checking RAM and memory controller stability.
https://www.ocbase.com/download

By tweaking BIOS settings it should be possible to stabilize the 3700.

FYI, on my X470 Taichi and 3900X with 4x8GB 3600C15 Tridents I had to bump the "DRAM Boot Voltage" or whatever its called to 1.375v from it default 1.35v in order for it to boot at XMP settings. Seems it needs that extra voltage at initial boot to get it going. Same thing on my X470 Crosshair VII board as well. Not sure if it is still the case on X570 though.

Thanks for the replies to my confusing post. It was late. So consensus seems to be that the 3700 is the likely problem, and a 5800x3d should allow this kit https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840141/F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC-QVL to run at xmp profile speeds? I did run windows memtest and passed no problem. What about hwinfo freezing the pc when I open the memory menu? Again the pc ran perfectly stable at stock speeds, never a hiccup.

FWIW, I'm running 4x 16GB G.Skill modules at 3600Mhz CL16 (XMP) that have similar specs to what you linked. With my 5800X3D on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z45XB3G

Same brand, same timings, but mine are dual-rank modules and don't have any of the RGB, etc. I ran two sticks (32GB) for a while, then bought another identical kit, so now running 4 modules for 64GB. I was slightly nervous about running 4 dual-rank modules, since that seemed like asking for trouble based on what I read on many sites. But they ended up working fine at XMP with zero tweaks or extra voltage.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back