Is it possible two connect two ADSL/Cable modems together and create a p2p lan?

Spahinator

n00b
Is it possible two connect two ADSL modems or two cable modems together and create a point to point Lan extension with out the use of a ISP? Let's say I have building one and building two... 1000' feet apart and I want to connect those two buildings.

I'm trying to find information online but I am having no luck :]
thanks guys

You'd need a head-end equipment and a client modem to do that route.

I have to ask though, why not just pull a 1000' fiber cable and plug it into a switch on either end?

It could be done, but the ISP will need to be involved and offer some sort of deal that uses it. We had a p2p link with dsl modems at my last job. 1.5mb up and down and the modems were used as part of their p2p offering

I'm just keeping my options open right now. So far I've come up with setting two ADSL/SDSL modems in "bridge" mode.

MoAC doesn't support the distance we need

Any reason you have consulted with the ISP? Cost too much of a factor from them?

You could do a wireless link. Serious hardware will be very expensive, but it will get the job done.

I'd recommend running fiber though. You shouldn't need more than 2 transceivers and ~1000ft of fiber. No idea on your physical requirements, but you could probably bury fiber pretty cheap yourself.

Yeah, why would you talk to an ISP for 1000'? That would be stupid unless it's your only option. I agree... fiber. It's going to be more work but it will be worth it. 1.5Mbps is not enough for anything.

I would love to actually use COAX cable to send the signal but i'm looking into DSL and twisted pair right now. I work for an underwater video camera company and right now we are limited to 1500' feet of cable using Coaxial CCD video cameras even at that distance the video turns to shit.

TCP/IP Cameras are taking off so I'm researching into ways to go further than 1500' Using TCP/IP cameras

I would love to actually use COAX cable to send the signal but i'm looking into DSL and twisted pair right now. I work for an underwater video camera company and right now we are limited to 1500' feet of cable using Coaxial CCD video cameras even at that distance the video turns to shit.

TCP/IP Cameras are taking off so I'm researching into ways to go further than 1500' Using TCP/IP cameras

Fiber in a garden hose, heh.

The short answer is yes, but only with certain modems/routers. I worked extensively with the Siemens/Efficient/Flowpoint/Crackwhoretron SDSL routers back in my day as a network prostitute. I would bench/lab test equipment all the time with just some cat 5, 2 routers, and firmware that would allow me to set one side to 'CO' and the other to 'CPE'.

Generally speaking, you don't want to run copper out 1000', and the fibre recommendation is well founded if you can afford to do it. Regular 100 base T isn't going to make the 1000'. Sounds like you're trying to do this with Mexican pride (can't blame you, but I'm still grinning).

If you can find some efficient speedstream 5851s with covad-compatible firmware (-035, 038? -002? I forget the numbers, so have fun doing the research) you should be able to get a happy 2.2 SDSL link going. You could bridge it on both ends, run maybe 4 or 8 links, and VLAN tag a bunch of sub-interfaces through a switch into a router (or right into a layer 3 switch i guess) and at least with Cisco gear you can per-packet load balance across each of those links... It's a lot of fun. :)

I had set up a ghetto solution one time where a DS3 had been delayed for months and we needed a multi-meg point-to-point solution between two cities. The SDSL agg circuit (an existing ATM DS3) was in one city, and we had our own service delivered to the other city. Set a few SDSL 2.2s up, bridged some happiness where on one end we had VLAN tags and the other end ATM PVCs... Then we let the Cisco routers that acted as the IP endpoints do per-packet load balancing with some CEF love. It ran great until the permanent solution arrived.

I loved solving those kinds of crazy problems with oddball solutions. Just needed something infinitely more stable and more money.

BEER!

Back