• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it possible to make a fanless computer?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 22, 2001
Messages
12,360
I am looking at building a totally fanless computer for a construction company. Alot of dust in the general vacinity. The computer just needs to be able to run quickbooks really, nothing fancy. I am wondering if you guys know of an intel/amd cpu that could run on just a heatsink and what that heatsink would be. Also are there power supplies out there that are totally enclosed and dont need a fan?
 
I would try to find a PS without a fan. Even though the fan in a PS is exhaust, you will be sucking all the dust in to the case and out thru the PS.

I had a 486 running in a building in a construction area for 6 months, the amount of crap that was pulled in to the case because of the PS was amazing. There were no other fans in the case. The little heatsink on the CPU was covered with crap.
 
If you want to have a dustless computer, I would make sure that you positively pressureize the case(more intake than outtake). Then, on the intake fans, put a filter. You could get one that you could rinse off or just throw away and replace(I use heating vent filters). Just my two cents.

 
low heat fanless notebook

fanless computers in a not so cold construction site = stupid
 
hmm, you can't have a fanless pc without some type of air moving through.
(unless it's the Zalman TNN, but that costs a little much ;) )

You're best bet would be watercooling, the zalman reserator is cheap and since it has no fans for the radiator there is no cleaning required!
 
Hmmm, what processor other then a C3 produces the least amount of heat that is 2ghz+?
 
You don't need 2Ghz to run quickbooks, it can run easily on a 233mhz P2. I would personally suggest a Laptop. They are fanless, and P3 laptops are really nice for the money they cost now. And they will run quickbooks perfectly.

I think P3 laptops have a fan, but its exhaust, not intake.
 
Have you thought about going with a VIA C3 based system. Many of them do not require a fan plus they are small. As far as the power supply goes, you'd have to find someone else to find a fanless one that doesn't cost an arm or a leg. I've never looked into fanless power supplies before.

Also, regardless of whether the system has any fans in it or not, it will still need to be cleaned out on a regular basis. Even without fans, dust will get into the case and coat everything. Sometimes, without fans in the case creating airflow, the dust can actually be worse.

 
IceDigger said:
Spectre, thanks but I am looking for a sub $7/800 solution.

Didn't realize we were on a slim budget. I will check a couple other places and see wha tI come up with Stealth is just a personal favorite.
 
IceDigger said:
Hmmm, what processor other then a C3 produces the least amount of heat that is 2ghz+?


Hmm... You could take, say, an AMD mobile 2400+ (a lot of people use these processors in desktops, they are low voltage processors that can take a lot of heat, and don't out off much heat at all).

The default voltage for one of these is 1.35 volts, and they can take a whole lot of heat. If you really need it to not make much heat, underclock it enough that you can bump the voltage down a notch or two and it might be even cooler.

I can imagine with one of these things that you could put a nice big heat sink on it, a fanless PSU, and just have some vents in the case (covered with a filter if it's a REALLY dusty place).

The only thing I would be worried about is the hard drive... If you're going to use a full size 3.5" desktop hard drive, those things can make a lot of heat, especially over time. It might be wise to get a 2.5" notebook hard drive, and just get some adapters. :)
 
IceDigger said:
I am looking at building a totally fanless computer for a construction company. Alot of dust in the general vacinity. The computer just needs to be able to run quickbooks really, nothing fancy. I am wondering if you guys know of an intel/amd cpu that could run on just a heatsink and what that heatsink would be. Also are there power supplies out there that are totally enclosed and dont need a fan?

Zalman makes a fanless case. The TNN 500A uses heatpipes, but also costs about $1200> http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=64&code=020
 
Trot on out and pick up this month's issue of MaximumPC magazine. They have a how-to on a practically silent, and thus essentially fanless, PC. They still used some higher-end components, but you can probably skip those in favor of cost.
 
For quickbook, what does it require for CPU/Ram?

I have a completley fanless 486DX4-120Mhz computer. right now its a Linux router/server. I used to have '98 on it, and use internet and MP3 playing.

For a 486, their power usage is low. Even a 586... Just use a jumbo heatsink (like a A64 heatsink) for the CPU and pull the PSU fan out.
 
I'm seeing a lot of options that are utterly rediculous, and I also fail to understand why he doesn't get a normal pc, remove all the fans, and then get a reserator? The Zalman reserator needs no fans to run cool... :confused:
 
ScHpAnKy said:
I'm seeing a lot of options that are utterly rediculous, and I also fail to understand why he doesn't get a normal pc, remove all the fans, and then get a reserator? The Zalman reserator needs no fans to run cool... :confused:

That tubing is awfully thin.
This is a construction company. Whatever he gets, it needs to survive having a hard hat dropped on it.
 
Quickbooks Pro 2005 :
Recommended System Configuration
At least 500 MHz Intel Pentium II (or equivalent) with 256 MB of RAM
Minimum System Requirements
350 MHz Intel Pentium (or equivalent) with 96MB of RAM
Windows 98 (SE)/2000/XP
400 MB of disk space for QuickBooks Installation
Internet Explorer 6.0 required (6.0 provided on CD. Requires an additional 70 MB)
(THIS IS only if you actually intend to do anything online with it)
Microsoft .NET Framework CLR 1.1 (Provided on CD. Requires an additional 23MB)
(THIS IS only if you actually intend to do anything online with it)
At least 256 color SVGA video
800x600 resolution with small fonts
2x CD-ROM

I currently have a client running a completely fanless - hell, it's heatsink-less even., p3 based celeron that's running @ 667mhz. No problems. Now, he's not on a construction site, but if he was in a 'hot' environment, we could always stick a big ass hitsink on it.

Get a 4200RPM hdd, 256mb of ram, win98, onboard video card, onboard sound, onboard network.
 
hunt up some Tualatin P3 stuff, Tualatins can run on passive cooling alone.
 
Back
Top