Is it possible to have Realplayer play my WMP videos I see online?

VulturEMaN

Gawd
Is it possible to have Realplayer play my WMP videos I see online?

I made my own stripped down version of XP Pro (legal of course...had to buy it for college) and I removed WMP from ever being installed. Just the old-skool WMP is on there now....

But my point is that Realplayer plays all my videos flawlessly (whereas winamp and WMP fail every now and then, and Quicktime = teh ghey).

So....any ideas?

see i would do the opposite. never install realplayer and let wmp play real files.

Uninstalled IE, not very smart. Any special way of getting updates?

Cowcaster88 said:
You might be able to get QuickTime to play WMP files but not 100% sure on that.

We tried this on my friend's comp, and alot of videos mess up (example can be seen at askaninja.com...only the quicktime ones would work).

I don't necessarily need to use RealPlayer to play it online...I was just looking for a solution besides WMP...and now Quicktime.

There's a site made for FireFox that allows you to download windows updates through it...usually a week or 2 behind, and not much x64 support...but it pwns besides that...
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

I used this to uninstall WMP 9/10 and IE and just left good ol' WMP 6. Works alright...
http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
You can download all the updates using that site, and have them integrated into the installer disc for the above program. Makes installing stuff way easier...

I'm not a fan of RealPlayer's interface, but .rm files pwn [H]ard when it comes to video compression and audio quality on the net. And the media player hasn't botched any of my Anime Music Videos yet (lol at the RIAA's fruitless attempts to ban them)....and I have a 70gig collection of em...

i used megacodec pack with media player classic. plays everything i want and free

El Nacho said:
see i would do the opposite. never install realplayer and let wmp play real files.
RealPlayer is possibly the worst crapware out there. Get rid of realplayer, let WMP handle what is should, and use VLC for everything else. Windows Media Player doesn't present any problems, so why would you remove it in the first place?

djnes said:
RealPlayer is possibly the worst crapware out there. Get rid of realplayer, let WMP handle what is should, and use VLC for everything else. Windows Media Player doesn't present any problems, so why would you remove it in the first place?

why quote me :???:

i agree with you

djnes said:

You bring up an excellent point!

I didn't think that I needed to explain it, but I wouldn't just randomly uninstall WMP10....It wouldn't let me watch videos online at college. I googled the problem, and someone said downgrading to WMP6 solved it. So I did that on my next OS disc that I created.

The college has basically blocked all WMP actions. No autoupdate, no nothing. No watching WWE pay per views online either. Until I uninstalled it.

Now it works halfway decent, but it's still pretty junky. Thats why I was looking for a replacement.

And excuse me, I need Realplayer for playing any Real format files. Which I have alot of. It works just fine. So, to quote you, "(realplayer) doesn't present any problems, so why would you remove it in the first place?".

Alls that I'm looking for is an alternative plugin/program to play .wmv files that are embedded into websites with. Nothing else. Quicktime is the only one that I know, and I hate it.

VulturEMaN said:
And excuse me, I need Realplayer for playing any Real format files. Which I have alot of. It works just fine. So, to quote you, "(realplayer) doesn't present any problems, so why would you remove it in the first place?".
Actually, you don't need it. Try this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/Real-Alternative.shtml
MPC with all the necessary codecs may be a solution for you...I have WMP10, so that is the default for me, which means I don't have the same problem as you. I also couldn't tell you if RP can play embedded things because I use the real alternative instead of the standalone player.

Yeah I am actually surprised people still use the Real player ever since Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative came out. Both Quicktime and Real player are god awful programs, with Real player being one of the most bloated and instrusive of any media player around.

umm...yea...still same problem...

Any idea on how to use an alternate program to play WMP files that are embedded into webpages? I haven't found one yet, besides quicktime....and quicktime is the devil!

djnes said:

QFT. If so many pron sites didnt use it, I wouldn't have it installed myself :D

Back