Is it Possible to create your own flat cables?

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
I have found a company [edit: site] that sells flat cables to DIY your own PSU cables, but they are only in black. I could paint the cables, which is what most likely happen but I was curious if anyone knew how to make your own flat cables? That way I could choose the size of cable and what color. I am assuming its harder than just gluing them together while close, just for flexibility concerns. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Also side questions if you happen to know:

A) Know any sites that sell clear psu connectors?
B) I see some sites with silver plated copper wires, is there any advantage to this or is it just cosmetic?

I have found a company [edit: site] that sells flat cables to DIY your own PSU cables, but they are only in black. I could paint the cables, which is what most likely happen but I was curious if anyone knew how to make your own flat cables? That way I could choose the size of cable and what color. I am assuming its harder than just gluing them together while close, just for flexibility concerns. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Also side questions if you happen to know:

A) Know any sites that sell clear psu connectors?
B) I see some sites with silver plated copper wires, is there any advantage to this or is it just cosmetic?
You can do whatever you want. Whether it's cost effective and meets your needs is the trickier question.

You certainly could "flatten" your own cables by adhering or tying them together in some way, but I wouldn't expect any adhesive-based method to last long. Most adhesives are weaker vs shear stress, and that is the main kind of stress that flat cables will put on themselves when flexed.

You could also buy some flat cable stock and terminate both ends yourself with a set of crimpers. The tool, pins and ends are all relatively inexpensive, but it's very easy to misterminate something and fry your hardware. Ask me how I know. :D

If you're mainly after an aesthetic, you might be better served by premade sleeved cables with cable combs to keep them neat and tidy where they're visible. Cablemod makes some nice ones.

I have made my own cables for a long while,,,, well the last 3 computers at least.
But it is mainly the MOBO power cables i have worked with, and then molex / sata power cables and fan & USB cables.

But i have always gone for round cables as i find those easier to route and hide

My understanding is that the 'tricity flows along the outside of the wires.
Silver conducts better than copper.

Silver also 'rusts'.

Silver soldering is a higher temperature process than soldering copper.

I am using silicone covered wires with many thin copper strands.

Flat cables suck at bending side to side.

So shaping the cable exactly will be much easier if you do as you want.
As far as gluing the wires together into the right shape, E6000 would be my choice. It flows well and will capillary much better that silicon seal, it is flexible so flexing the complete cable assembly for installation will work fine.
The clear is pretty darn clear.

Back