Is it ok to clip my PSU?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
My PSU has way too many cables on it. Is it okay to cut a couple of them off and tape it off with electrical tape?

On a personal note, I would not do it..I would just tuck the unused cables out of the way

but yes,you can cut off whatever you don't need, but make sure to seal off the ends real well..shrink tubing works very well for this , I don't think I would trust tape to stay on .

It's perfectly safe, but like Crosshairs mentioned, it's a better idea to use heatshrink tubing or something else that will hold onto the wires better than electrical tape.
Liston to this guy.
Don't listen to this guy.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. OP, you're willing to take a machete to your PSU but, not mod your case to hide the wires? Aside from voiding any warranty, you are also willfully bypassing the UL certification.

Let's look at a situation that may be more likely than not. You've got your usual 30+ tabs open while dl-ing a movie and playing your game of choice while updating FB. System over heats, go figure so, you shut down in disgust and run out to the corner store to pick up some beer/soda/mutant energy drink. Meanwhile, your PSU emits a spark and catches the dust/Cheetos crumbs on fire and your entire rig and possibly your apartment/house/basement go up in flames. Fire department forensics find your computer was the origin. Getting the picture? Sure, all of the above is exaggeration but, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Look at some of the case mod threads and get inspired. If you're too lazy and just want an easy way out, why do you care if there's extra wires hanging out in the first place?

I agree with Magnus. But if you know exactly what your clipping and you know for sure you can get rid of it; then I would suggest wire nuts, not electrical tape. That could possibly prevent fire much much better ;)

Perhaps checking out a modular PSU in the future would be beneficial ;)

Last edited:
There are a number of low cost cases with wire management space, some go on sale for less than $40.
What case do you have?

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
It also doesn't mean you shouldn't. This is something that can easily be done in a safe manner, with the understanding that the warranty will be voided by the procedure.
Let's look at a situation that may be more likely than not. You've got your usual 30+ tabs open while dl-ing a movie and playing your game of choice while updating FB. System over heats, go figure so, you shut down in disgust and run out to the corner store to pick up some beer/soda/mutant energy drink. Meanwhile, your PSU emits a spark and catches the dust/Cheetos crumbs on fire and your entire rig and possibly your apartment/house/basement go up in flames. Fire department forensics find your computer was the origin. Getting the picture? Sure, all of the above is exaggeration but, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
If the ends of the wires are insulated properly, it couldn't happen.

My PSU has way too many cables on it. Is it okay to cut a couple of them off and tape it off with electrical tape?

if you're asking if it's technically possible and ok to do: yes, it's completely fine. As others have noted, make sure you carefully insulate the cut ends so that they don't short.

If you're asking our opinion of the procedure, I would say it depends on 1) how many extra cables you have. 2) if your PSU is still under warranty.

I'm always a fan of having plenty of upgrade options.

Hey thanks a lot for the quality input. I'm going to hold off doing this for now until I get my hands on some heat shrink so I can do it right. I wish they made low wattage modular PSUs oh well. the spot where I cram all my excess cables in my case is really cutting my inlet air flow.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. OP, you're willing to take a machete to your PSU but, not mod your case to hide the wires? Aside from voiding any warranty, you are also willfully bypassing the UL certification.

Look at some of the case mod threads and get inspired. If you're too lazy and just want an easy way out, why do you care if there's extra wires hanging out in the first place?

You totally left out the dump truck that plows into his car while he's backing out of his driveway.

It also doesn't mean you shouldn't. This is something that can easily be done in a safe manner, with the understanding that the warranty will be voided by the procedure.

If the ends of the wires are insulated properly, it couldn't happen.

You totally left out the dump truck that plows into his car while he's backing out of his driveway.

Just so I get it straight, talking about illegally dling games and software and cracks for software is strictly verboten but, bypassing UL certification is ok "as long as you know what you're doing?" Just trying to stay on top of the double standard. ;)

Just so I get it straight, talking about illegally dling games and software and cracks for software is strictly verboten but, bypassing UL certification is ok "as long as you know what you're doing?" Just trying to stay on top of the double standard. ;)
Pirating software is illegal. Cutting a few wires off of a PSU is not. If you think that's a double standard, you don't know what the term means.

Modifying a PSU you own is no more illegal than hammering a nail into a wall to hang a picture from. Pirating software is categorically illegal. I don't know where you got the idea for that comparison, but it is most certainly not a valid one, and if you think that's a double standard, you need to refresh your memory on what that term really means.

Tell the DMV that next time you go to emissions with straight pipes. I would also remind you of my previous scenario with Fire Department forensics. Look, I'm not the Mr. Clean thought police, I just want to point out that someone considering whacking off the wires from a PSU rather than spending a little time modding a case, probably isn't going to be all that careful about safely terminating all the leads.

Tell the DMV that next time you go to emissions with straight pipes. I would also remind you of my previous scenario with Fire Department forensics. Look, I'm not the Mr. Clean thought police, I just want to point out that someone considering whacking off the wires from a PSU rather than spending a little time modding a case, probably isn't going to be all that careful about safely terminating all the leads.
As I've already pointed out, if this is done properly, your fire scenario would be impossible to begin with. An oven can also cause a fire if used improperly, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get an oven, it means you should take care not to use it in an unsafe manner. The same principle applies here. The fact that there is a potential for an accident does not make the activity inherently unsafe if there is a way to do it without causing an accident. All it takes is a little caution and competence on the part of the user.

I'd love to see the p-value on the data set that spawned THAT little gem. At any rate, if it makes you feel better, I promise my PSU will be for off-road use only :rolleyes:

chopped_630.jpg

Turn in your [H] card, bro.

If it was me, I'd try and desolder them from inside the PSU.

You should be safe just snipping the wires, even if whatever insulation you put on the ends comes off by far the most likely result of a short to ground will be the power supply shutting down on overcurrent protection. A fire is possible sure, but very unlikely.

And if you take them off at the solder point inside, it's perfectly safe, technically safer than having the loose connectors floating around inside.

one of these is not like the other.....

You know, I'd get antsy if I were to mess around inside a power supply like that...those capacitors aren't something I'd go near. :eek: I'll mod anything else, but I just can't see myself desoldering wires inside one. I'd either put more effort into cable management or get a modular power supply.

Hahahaha I did this not long ago. Was great fun. Caps are nothing, dont be an idiot while working on it and you won't have a problem. I chopped my second set of molex off since I only need like 3 molex and each set had 4 and 1 set was long enough to reach everything. I took heatshrink to each wire then added a larger piece over them all to keep them together and from moving. I also chopped 2 PCIe cables since I wont ever have more than SLI/CFX no 3 way so 4 is plenty and I used the wire to extend the remaining 4. Really isn't hard as long as you don't rush or do anything stupid like using masking tape.

PS. Power supply modding is one of my favorite things, and I would like to unisleeve one or a few at some point.

I can't remember if I've snipped wires from a PSU in the past, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so, either functionally (except for those wires you don't want/need anymore!) or morally, in obvious contrast to what some others have been telling you.

For the two systems I'm running now, cable management was VERY important (cramped HTPC case with poor stock airflow and an Antec 300 with 9 drives currently with space/connectors for another pair of 3TB's when they come back down in price). I've got two Antec Neo HE modular power supplies. One is a 430w, and one is a 500w. I *think* they made a 380w version of this at one point too. I don't think they make this same model anymore, but I imagine there is some sort of replacement.

I had a spare cable on the new PSU I installed. Just cable tied it and left it at the top of the case... the one benefit of having a case with an old-school design. ;)

Back