• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it just me or...?

bleagh

Weaksauce
Joined
May 27, 2012
Messages
100
I built a new computer a while back, and it cost me around $1500 for the case and everything inside (Lian Li, Seasonic, 3570, GTX660, ...).

But the 2 channel audio system I put together for this computer cost over $3000!

Is there something wrong with me?
 
Nope.

I bought my gear used and was even given some of it. Spent around $1300-1500.

If it was new I would have spent as much on just my receiver alone.
 
What is the point of this thread?

Consider that a computer is just going to be replaced again in a few years, but an audio system can last a lifetime. Most of the components in my 2-channel system date back to the 70's and 80's, because good sound isn't something that becomes obsolete.
 
ha .. i have a three 2 channel things hooked up to my pc i aint got more than $370~ into it (not counting $180~ (gifts Fiio E9 /E07K) which could arguabley counted with either the pc or audio.

but anyways

1. Yamaha C-60 preamp ($20) > Elan Z660 ($7) 120WPC (bridged)> JBL L1s ($40)
2. Pioneer SA-710 ($125) /Panasonic RD-2900 turntable ($20)> B&W V202 ($20)
3. SX-780 ($125) > optimus pro X5 ($12)


right now however I have a pair of $10 (+8 surround kit) Advent 9s hooked up to the Elan /C-60 set up for testing refoam job... (bout ready to put up the mission accomplished banner on a aircraft carrier)

i got to tell you all i have heard some much more expensive systems and I'm very happy every day w/ my vintage / used gear set up... I have of course been having awesome score luck also..been damned raining awesomesauce gear on my this C-60 I got this weekend for $20 is just awesomeness defined.

pics..


advent 9's i am testing:


my cat fitz enjoying the sa-710 / B&W's





I want audio goodness but I aint willing /able honestly (well actually i could but i won't ... have a wife that is recovering from a serious illness ...need to be somewhat reasonable on spendings). spend a lot..

I have cruzed around there are many good places to go look around here for scores and i have done super well

i have these $60 Klispch KG 2.5 hooked up to my tv here
 
agreeeed, antique amp and stereo collector here.

well my dad is the real one, i jus get the benefits of being his son lol.
but so true.
i mean even now-a-days people are starting to come back to the analog vaccuum tubes :O
 
DONT TELL PEOPLE WHERE TO SHOP!!!1!
LOL looks like my dads lil nook.
 
Is there something wrong with me?

Not sure if serious, but I'll give you a serious and neutral response.

You spent more than you needed to for a good.. or great.. system. That's a fact.

Is there something "wrong" with you? Well, did you spend so much money that you are now unable to pay some of your bills, or unable to enjoy life by taking vacations or whatever you personally find more exciting than having such an expensive system? If so, then maybe you seriously have a spending problem. If not, then I don't see a problem with it. You can't take the money with you.

But really, there's more to life than having a $3000 stereo system.
 
I'm so glad that I don't care about the difference between a $50 POS 2.1 desktop system, and a multi-thousands of dollar high-end audio system.
 
Probably, since it is atypical, but not here in hardforum! I think spent 4 or 5 times more on my sound system that my PC, which has a Titan, a 3770k, and 4 SSDs including two SLC SSDs.
 
I built a new computer a while back, and it cost me around $1500 for the case and everything inside (Lian Li, Seasonic, 3570, GTX660, ...).

But the 2 channel audio system I put together for this computer cost over $3000!

Is there something wrong with me?

Well that depends on what you bought....
 
Yes. But I don't care. There is a difference, I just couldn't care less about it. And my wallet appreciates that fact. :)

Why are you hanging around in the computer audio section if sound quality is irrelevant to you? Not having a go at you, just wondering.
 
Why are you hanging around in the computer audio section if sound quality is irrelevant to you? Not having a go at you, just wondering.
:) Fair question. I'm not hanging around the audio section--this thread was at the top of my rss feed for [H], and I clicked on it--I actually had no idea what sub-forum it was in, and the immensely descriptive subject didn't indicate it was part of the audio sub-forum. :) But regardless, if people are welcomed to talk about how relevant sound quality is for them, why not have people talk about how irrelevant it is to others? It's not like I was bashing others opinions on how sound quality is important to them, just voicing my opinion about how sound quality is not important to me. I'm more than supportive of others to which it is important, and more power to them.
 
Back
Top