is it bad.....

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
when u almost have to remember how to turn off a computer?????

anyone else have this problem? I can turn on a computer just find, but i find myself having trouble remembering how to turn them off ;)

That depends. :) In XP, you have a problem. In Vista, you just throw a brick at it. :p

omg....im not alone :) and honestly...i dont know how to turn off vista (dont have it ;))

Turning off a computer is the hardest thing to do. I don't take my laptop anywhere anymore as I want it to keep on folding.

Maybe once I get my C2D machine built I'll feel a little less guilty about taking my laptop with me.

I tend to get pissed off if anyone turns off a computer in my house.

Heh... same. Partially for the folding, partially just because I hate loosing whatever was open. I never turn off my computers unless I absolutely must.

Hell, I hate having to restart my computer. New driver time pisses me off, I don't want to restart.

hehe viper i don't install folding if i'm rebuilding my computer until driver time is over because otherwise it just pisses me off :D

yaaa when people turn off my computers i get kinda depressed pissed off it's also fun when half your farm gets turned off by office people because it's gonna save them soo much money and wear and tear on the computer :( i keep telling them to just leave it alone but nooo

I need to switch off my gateway computer to rebuild it.

Pull out the SCSI hard drive and twin X1950xtx's.
Plug in a Raptor and CD drive.
Re-install Windozes.

Dont want to do it because I''ll loose points as I wont be able to upload with it off line.
But once it done I'll end up getting more points once the pulled parts get installed in other boxen.

Luck ......... :D

I have a program that automaticly shuts down my computers every time we have a thunderstorm to prevent damage. Its called the power company. If anybody wants a crapy one just send me a message and I'll tell you how to install it.

[BRO]Alaskan;1030929757 said:
I have a program that automaticly shuts down my computers every time we have a thunderstorm to prevent damage. Its called the power company. If anybody wants a crapy one just send me a message and I'll tell you how to install it.

ComEd?

All I ever do is "lock workstation". People are amazed when I push winkey+L as I walk away. "Wait, how'd you do that?" To shut down I tap the power button. Windows notices it, and shuts itself down nicely.

All I ever do is "lock workstation". People are amazed when I push winkey+L as I walk away. "Wait, how'd you do that?" To shut down I tap the power button. Windows notices it, and shuts itself down nicely.
i did not know about winkey+L....added to shortcut list in head :)

I tend to get pissed off if anyone turns off a computer in my house.

everytime we have house guests, my wife makes me turn off the HTPC cuz its too loud from them....:p i try to argue and tell them too bad, but its her friends usually and i lose :( (except doing [H]Bowl season....i told them too damn bad ;))

i did not know about winkey+L....added to shortcut list in head :)

Winkey+R for "Run" dialog, Winkey+D for desktop, Winkey+E for Explorer, Winkey+Pause for "System Properties" dialog, Winkey+F for Find. That's all I can think of off the top of my head... for the Windows key, anyways ;) I habitually browse with ctrl-W and ctrl-Tab ready on my left hand. Keyboards are awesome :D

I got an entire set of production boxes which won't shut off- no shit. Intel 945 GTP motherboards. Do a Windows shutdown and the dang thing shuts down windows, goes into the BIOS and comes right back up.

No clue, Windows must be borked in the image(s) or something. I need these on literally 24/7 so I've never really taken the time to find out WTF is going on but it's always made me laugh... :)

I got an entire set of production boxes which won't shut off- no shit. Intel 945 GTP motherboards. Do a Windows shutdown and the dang thing shuts down windows, goes into the BIOS and comes right back up.

No clue, Windows must be borked in the image(s) or something. I need these on literally 24/7 so I've never really taken the time to find out WTF is going on but it's always made me laugh... :)

That's wicked Marty! I've noticed with my Intel's after a power surge/outage they always come back. Even when I just plug the power cord in they fire right up

I got an entire set of production boxes which won't shut off- no shit.

1176857845213.jpg

Winkey+R for "Run" dialog, Winkey+D for desktop, Winkey+E for Explorer, Winkey+Pause for "System Properties" dialog, Winkey+F for Find. That's all I can think of off the top of my head... for the Windows key, anyways ;) I habitually browse with ctrl-W and ctrl-Tab ready on my left hand. Keyboards are awesome :D

you missed Winkey+m for minimize all :) and im with you....i try to use the mouse as little as possible...unless it actually involves POINTING....i dont need a mouse :)

:D

EDIT: Watch out for the p2608 SMP proteins boys, they're pretty slow WU's. Coming to a boxen near you.

You sig says - "Folding for OCAU!"

[IM ]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/jon855/gtfo.jpg[/IMG]

People who fold for other teams are welcome here, just as we are welcome on their forums.
While there is some competition, we are all in it for a common cause.

People who fold for other teams are welcome here, just as we are welcome on their forums.
While there is some competition, we are all in it for a common cause.

But he's a spy... He's gonna snatch FLECOM from us...:eek:

Kidding aside, welcome aboard matey :D

:D

EDIT: Watch out for the p2608 SMP proteins boys, they're pretty slow WU's. Coming to a boxen near you.

My MacBook is chewing through one of those right now. Kinda kills the PPH (from 40 down to 23). Oh well, it's still better than a regular WU, and blows the pants off Vilians.

Fold on people! For tuxedoedShrimp

But he's a spy... He's gonna snatch FLECOM from us...:eek:

Kidding aside, welcome aboard matey :D
Are you kidding? FLECOM couldn't leave us if he wanted to- he'd have shaved off three beards in the time it took to reconfigure his four hundred boxen!

[BRO]Alaskan;1030929757 said:

You have American Electric Power too?? :D

I always took power for granted until I moved 7 years ago. Now I'm thankful we have it at all. Thunderstorms, warm spring days, you name it and out it goes. I have thousands tied up in UPS's and it's quite a racket when they are all beeping away at the same time. More than once I've come close to installing one of those natural gas generators as a backup for the house....

I just hate coming home to the Non sound of puter fans, almost as much as the middle of the night bleeping of 10 UPS's when, the power goes off. I have timed it and it takes me about 1 and a 1/2 hours to get everything back up when the power has been off for longer than the UPS's battery life, reset start check to make sure the boxen didn't hang on a growmac's and think it is working but not actually doing anything,. I've noticed there is always a couple of boxen that will hang, and never the same one's.

God Bless Idaho Power, :(

Already got one on a box and it's indeed slow, 2609 too. This one love big cache.

Damn. I just set up VMWare/Ubuntu/SMP and I'm getting hit with 2609 as well. Do these new work units defeat the scoring advantages of running the SMP client?

Damn. I just set up VMWare/Ubuntu/SMP and I'm getting hit with 2609 as well. Do these new work units defeat the scoring advantages of running the SMP client?

After doing 3 WU, I can say it's a tad slower than the original wu crop but you still get the advantage over the standard client by 2x. IMHO, anything which relate to SMP is worth the points.

Back