• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is it bad that I'm thinking about using my...

Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
631
... economic stimulus package to build a dedicated folding box? :D

I slapped together a cart on Newegg for under $500 that should own at F@h.

E6550 C2D
HIS Hightech H385F256NP Radeon HD 3850 256MB
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
MSI P6NGM-L NVIDIA GeForce7050 / nForce610i Micro ATX
Rosewill RD400-2-SB ATX V2.2 400W
Rosewill R6A34-SL 0.8mm SECC 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower

$498.96 with shipping :cool:

But really should a buy a boxen with my "stimulus"? I should really be stimulating my savings account for going back to school in the fall. :eek::eek:

Any of the [H]orde planning on stimulating the farm with your check?

 
For a dedicated box, remove the HD3850 card and replace the E6550 with a Q6600. It's much more efficient that way. also, drop the Rosewill PSU STAT !!! Get something more reliable like a Antec Earthwatts 380W.

 
Might I suggest the Antec NSK4480 to handle case & psu? The PSU is rated 80Plus efficiency and is more than capable of handling a dedicated folder.

 
For a dedicated box, remove the HD3850 card and replace the E6550 with a Q6600. It's much more efficient that way. also, drop the Rosewill PSU STAT !!! Get something more reliable like a Antec Earthwatts 380W.


Rosewill PSU! *shivers* Definitely don't mess with one of those.
 
Dont forget to replace that stock Intel heatsink with a aftermarket cooler...something with heatpipes....lots of heatpipes ;)
 
Go with the quad
fold nekkid

I'm spending my stimulus package on building my folding / server room.
 
Go with the quad
fold nekkid

I'm spending my stimulus package on building my folding / server room.

I'm using mine to pay off my ramp up :p

But lets be honest.... I'll use it to replace E2160's with Q6600's :cool:

A 80+ PSU will help keep power bill low and your AC running less.

The Q6600 is a no brain-er for folding

 
Thanks for the suggestions peeps. :cool:

New build is

Q6600
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
MSI P6NGM-L NVIDIA GeForce7050 / nForce610i Micro ATX
Rosewill R6A34-SL 0.8mm SECC 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower
Antec earthwatts EA430
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

for $495 with shipping

Later once the GPU2 scene settles a little I can add whatever ATI turns out to be the best price to performance ratio.

Would it be worth it to buy a better mobo for overclocking? I'm not sure what the best one is for the Q6600.

 
I'm using mine to pay off my ramp up :p

But lets be honest.... I'll use it to replace E2160's with Q6600's :cool:

A 80+ PSU will help keep power bill low and your AC running less.

The Q6600 is a no brain-er for folding


QFT

I have about $3k to pay off :) hehehe will take just a couple of months but still its going to pay for what I've already done! from an E6600 and a P4 and a PS3 to 7 Q6600's, P4, PS3. :eek:
 
QFT

I have about $3k to pay off :) hehehe will take just a couple of months but still its going to pay for what I've already done! from an E6600 and a P4 and a PS3 to 7 Q6600's, P4, PS3. :eek:

Nice Ramp up!!! I added 5 Q6600 but now I see your folding power is much stronger :D


 
Thanks for the suggestions peeps. :cool:

New build is

Q6600
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
MSI P6NGM-L NVIDIA GeForce7050 / nForce610i Micro ATX
Rosewill R6A34-SL 0.8mm SECC 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower
Antec earthwatts EA430
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

for $495 with shipping

Later once the GPU2 scene settles a little I can add whatever ATI turns out to be the best price to performance ratio.

Would it be worth it to buy a better mobo for overclocking? I'm not sure what the best one is for the Q6600.


All nice and productive changes for sure. If I may the only thing I would question would be your choice for HSF. The Thermalright Ultima 90 with 120mm fan has been shown to run things a lot cooler and it’s dead silent especially with the Scythe 120mm 67 CFM fan. If you can do it I would suggest moving up to a 650i board, a much better overclocker.

Looks like a nice high PPD system, enjoy.

Fold on.:)




 
i wish my government give me an economic stimulus package too :(

that way i could start building my farm ;)
 
I would say that I would be using mine for more boxen (as I'll have enough for 2 new quads) but I'm going to pay off/down some things that I didn't do with my income tax refund which was the plan for it in the first place. Although once my car is paid off I will have about $300 more per month not going to bills. Too bad I'll need every penny of that for daycare during the summer months since at 7 years old I'm not allowed to make my son get a job and earn his own living. :mad::(

 
Too bad I'll need every penny of that for daycare during the summer months since at 7 years old I'm not allowed to make my son get a job and earn his own living. :mad::(

u can build him a lemonade stand, and well u can figure out what happens next ;)
 
u can build him a lemonade stand, and well u can figure out what happens next ;)

Actually, he would do better with a beer stand but again he's not old enough for that. The profit margin with the beer stand is much better.

 
My only hope of picking up a couple of quads any time soon is this stupid "economic stimulus package":rolleyes:.. but I'm afraid that it's likely not going to happen that way. I may be able to squeeze one out of it, if I'm lucky.... things have been pretty frickin' rough around digitals house lately.... damn kids always wanting to eat and stuff:p

 
My only hope of picking up a couple of quads any time soon is this stupid "economic stimulus package":rolleyes:.. but I'm afraid that it's likely not going to happen that way. I may be able to squeeze one out of it, if I'm lucky.... things have been pretty frickin' rough around digitals house lately.... damn kids always wanting to eat and stuff:p


Trust me, I know all about that eating thing. For some reason my son gets mad if I want him to skip a meal or three. Hell, it's not like he's starving or anything. Had to do some shopping tonight and it cost me about $50. Just think if I didn't have to spend $50 on groceries every two weeks. It wouldn't take me long to upgrade a couple other systems to quads. :(

 
I'm using mine to pay off my ramp up :p

But lets be honest.... I'll use it to replace E2160's with Q6600's :cool:

A 80+ PSU will help keep power bill low and your AC running less.

The Q6600 is a no brain-er for folding


umm... dibs on the 2160's when you pull them out :p

i have some machines that need procs :)
 
Hell, it's not like he's starving or anything. Had to do some shopping tonight and it cost me about $50. Just think if I didn't have to spend $50 on groceries every two weeks. It wouldn't take me long to upgrade a couple other systems to quads. :(

yeah, that's unacceptable, i know :(
well u can always use the saving on his college fund ;)
hmm... but i´d wager u already have :eek: :D
 
Back
Top