Is Intel going to release a new atom?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
9,778
Is intel slated to release a new Atom processor that is superior to the D525, to my knowledge the current top of the line Atom? Also I know this is not the right forum but does AMD offer something like E-??? that is an even better performer?

I am going to build a low power, low cost, offsite FTP/Rsync/Web Server but I want to be able to use it for other small stuff on occasion where it sits in that office.
 
I don't know anything about new Atom, but if you want faster CPU than D525 for a buck get celeron G440 and mini-ITX or mATX board, although it's a single core, it's a sandy bridge and greatly surpass atom in performance
 
everything about celerons here including G440 vs Atom and Zacate

link

A lot of that is graphical comparisons, which based on Tangoseal's specified uses would seem mostly irrelevant. However Tangoseal was not specific enough with his criteria to define "an even better performer". He could mean performance per watt, or performance per dollar, or something else entirely.
 
A lot of that is graphical comparisons, which based on Tangoseal's specified uses would seem mostly irrelevant. However Tangoseal was not specific enough with his criteria to define "an even better performer". He could mean performance per watt, or performance per dollar, or something else entirely.
He mentioned to be using it as FTP or web server. I'm not sure what kind of site that computer will be running but I guess for being FTP server it offers enough computational power.

However, the reviewers also must do graphical test in low end segment because it measures performance pretty well.
 
He mentioned to be using it as FTP or web server. I'm not sure what kind of site that computer will be running but I guess for being FTP server it offers enough computational power.

However, the reviewers also must do graphical test in low end segment because it measures performance pretty well.


That depends entirely on what kind of FTP/Web Server you're planning on building and what load you're expecting. I've had one of those cheap Atom 1.2Ghz servers, and it blew like nothing else. There's a reason why very few places are offering Atom dedicated servers now that they and customers realize how crappy they actually run.

I would take a slightly higher watt Celeron over an Atom any day of the week, that's just me though. You'll save on not having to worry about upgrading so often as you would with cheap Atom's.
 
Celery chip eh haha ill give it a look. Also I just found out microcenter has fx4100 and free mobo for 100$ not bad. I was thinking of that because coupled with a free Asus board I can use eccram for 24/7 uptime with long term stability.
 
I picked up a G530 celeron for $50 or so. Coupled with a $30 LGA1155 board, I can't see anything touching that combo for less than $100 (including 4GB of cheap memory).
 
That depends entirely on what kind of FTP/Web Server you're planning on building and what load you're expecting. I've had one of those cheap Atom 1.2Ghz servers, and it blew like nothing else. There's a reason why very few places are offering Atom dedicated servers now that they and customers realize how crappy they actually run.

I would take a slightly higher watt Celeron over an Atom any day of the week, that's just me though. You'll save on not having to worry about upgrading so often as you would with cheap Atom's.

Yeah, Atom CPU's are very under powered. I played around with a netbook with a dual core Atom for a few hours and the simplest tasks spiked the processor to 100% and pegged it there for a good while.
 
Seems like an old Phenom II with some cheap ECC ram would be the best deal. Plenty of performance, cheap, ECC ram.
 
except for this part... build a low power

I was checking over in AMD forum here and it seems that the FX 4100 supports ECC and can be made low power. It is a 95watt piece, quad core, and I am sure I can underclock, undervolt, and disable 2 cores. I do not need that much processing power but here is the catch ....

Board and Chip for $109 at Microcenter. Just found that out earlier today. From all the horror reports here on this thread about atom being slow I do not think I want to go that route. However my QNAP NAS has a Atom Dual core and it does very good, even converts MKV to MP4 on the fly using PS3 server to my PS3 in 720 and 1080p. But that is on a linux OS. Probably why. I will be running windows server 2008 r2 standard since I own one license to that product that I got for a steal of a deal through my work.
 
Back
Top