twelveparsex
[H]F Junkie
- Joined
- Nov 30, 2000
- Messages
- 12,955
seems like such a waste especially with high end chips like the i7...even with lucidlogix. i can't imagine the power savings being that significant.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
SB-E doesn't have IGP. No server ones do at the moment including BD.
No.
And if they managed to improve lucidlogix with being able to physically shut down the GPU, yes, the power savings would be significant with crossfire/SLI systems.
While you make a good point, I don't get why people are so crazy about power savings while building 1 kw crossfire rigs. Unless you are referring to idle power draw.
Yes, I'm referring to idle power draw. For people who have a tri-SLI GTX 580 system, that's nearly 100 watts saved, more due to power supply efficiency, maybe 110 watts. If you spend about 8 hours on your computer a day, and you only game on the weekends, that power savings is significant.
True when translated to that enclosed envelope you have to place a check in and mail off every month.
Yes, I'm referring to idle power draw. For people who have a tri-SLI GTX 580 system, that's nearly 100 watts saved, more due to power supply efficiency, maybe 110 watts. If you spend about 8 hours on your computer a day, and you only game on the weekends, that power savings is significant.
what is mail?
Xeon E3 is a workstation CPU, not a server CPU, and it is not Sandy Bridge-E. Xeon E5 and E7 are the server versions, and they do not have graphics.Actually Xeon E3 does have a GPU
A tri-SLI system isn't even using the onboard GPU. It can be done with Virtu sure but nobody dropping that kinda bucks on gaming hardware is going to gimp it running i-mode in virtu.
If they get it to work well, then it would be a viable option. From what I saw with nVidia's old HybridPower, their implementation of it netted a 5% loss in performance. And it did completely shut down the GPU; the GPU fans were not even spinning.
Actually I lied. Virtu doesn't support SLI at all with i-mode.
I suspect every LGA1155 (and it's sucessors) desktop intel chip will have one. Some of the LGA1155 server chips don't offer processor graphics but I suspect in reality it's just disabled to claim a lower TDP.seems like such a waste especially with high end chips like the i7
Well there is no usable GPU. I suspect the GPU is still physically there just disabled so intel can claim a lower TDP.No GPU on my E3-1230 for sure.
Afaict intel have never put a GPU on an extreme edition chip.They should revove it from all the extreme chips
Xeon E3 is a workstation CPU, not a server CPU, and it is not Sandy Bridge-E. Xeon E5 and E7 are the server versions, and they do not have graphics.
I actually found a use for the one in the 2600K, since nVidia has that stupid bug where if you're using more than one monitor with different resolutions the GPU can't throttle down to idle and runs at max clock speeds at all times, if you move your non-gaming monitor to the IGP and you save around 100W idle power.