Is EthOS worth it?

napster0317

Limp Gawd
Looking at EthOS and am wondering if it is worth paying the $$ for the OS or would you suggest Ubuntu or something along those lines instead?

Just getting into mining and am in my playing stage. First gtx 1060 rig about to be built. if even moderately proffitable I will be going with more machines and larger machines maybe.

IMO.. know your OS that your running and do not trust anyone but your self and people you can walk up to and punch when things go wrong / they screw you.

with that said... you do NOT need to be an expert to run Ubuntu on a mining rig. on average, my new rigs are up and mining in 60 minutes or less. I have setup a forum post walking people through this... on another forum. If your interested.. PM me and I will send you the link.

my $.02.. always build your own. Trust yourself and teach yourself how to mine. It helps in the end.

Ubuntu is the best solution IMO.

I haven't tried EthOS, but I'm running Ubuntu on my mining rig. It's been really solid for me, I would recommend it.

I use SMOS it's solid for me just a hiccup once in a while but that's is me messing with things. It's $2.00 per rig per month. I like it because I can check and change settings and even reboot from phone when I'm at work. I was going to try EthOS, but like SMOS so I saw no need to change.

I paid for ethOS but use SMOS ethos is not worth it at all. Either go windows or go SMOS if you don't want to just setup linux manually.

Question for those running Linux: How does anyone adjust the power limit? It’s been a while since I used the Linux drivers for a graphics card, but I don’t remember a way to undervolt them.

Question for those running Linux: How does anyone adjust the power limit? It’s been a while since I used the Linux drivers for a graphics card, but I don’t remember a way to undervolt them.
For Nvidia cards you may have to do it on the command line. I wasn't able to get the GUI to work (maybe because I'm still a Linux n00b).

I believe it's something like this (to limit to 80W):

sudo nvidia-smi -pm 1
sudo nvidia-smi -pl 80

+1 for SMOS. Especially now with their rig groups it's perfect for me and I can have separate rigs mine separate coins if I want. Been running about 5-6 months now for one and got my second rig up over a month, haven't had a single hiccup. I've got a third rig that I'm thinking of spooling up but with me being gone playing Army all the time, nice to have that peace of mind that they just work, period, and I can work on them from anywhere with internet.

The perfect solution though to to have a smart switch on each power plug, that way I can remotely do a hard reboot if needed. You can get rig-re-setters or build your own from a pi but this seems easier to me. But Rig-re-setters are supported from the web interface

Back