• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is diskless folding still an option?

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
4,110
I have a pile of servers that I would like to burn in while they're still under warranty. Is diskless folding still an option? Right now they don't have disks, let alone operating systems.
 
I believe a 4GB thumb drive is large enough.
Musky's install script has it running on a ram disk so the writes are minimal and his install guide for Linux is exceptional.
 
4gb thumb drive will work if you go with a Lubuntu install. It becomes a plug and play folder.

Ubuntu desktop is what is used and supported here...so if you do Lubuntu you are wondering off the rez....the 4gb space is not enough for BA folding.

It is on my rainy day list to revamp my usb image.

If asked nicely I might revamp my lubuntu image and share.





Before you ask, and you know who you are, stop attacking me, sweetie.
 
You will eventually run out of space with 4GB stick.

8GB is the minimum supported size when going w/musky's install.
 
I am running one node of my dell c6145 diskless by booting it to an iscsi volume the I have on my storage box. Export a 10gb volume, install Ubuntu, run the musky script and you are in business. Then for identical servers, you can probably just clone the volume and go.
 
A livecd/usb and a ramdisk is a good option. I have done it for a couple of weeks at a time. I would only recommend it for SMP WUs where you do not mind loosing a couple hours of work if the machine restarts for some reason.
 
Thanks for the replies. I've loaded clients on to the machines that have OS's installed and I'll look over the options for the other boxes over the next couple days.
 
Thanks for the replies. I've loaded clients on to the machines that have OS's installed and I'll look over the options for the other boxes over the next couple days.

So whats the final verdict on this? Did we pull you in? :D

Hop into our IRC if you need any help!
 
So whats the final verdict on this? Did we pull you in? :D

Hop into our IRC if you need any help!

I ended up grabbing some old 40GB hard drives and installing Server 2012 on 5 of them, and I have another 5 or 6 I can fire up. 65K points yesterday.

Even though my machines at home all have day jobs now and my production isn't what it used to be, I got pulled in back in 2005. :D
 
I ended up grabbing some old 40GB hard drives and installing Server 2012 on 5 of them, and I have another 5 or 6 I can fire up. 65K points yesterday.

Even though my machines at home all have day jobs now and my production isn't what it used to be, I got pulled in back in 2005. :D

Awesome! Always good to see people coming back. I wasnt around back then but from what Ive read/seen/talked about, things have changed drastically. We have a lot of great minds who pretty much live in the [H] F@H IRC now days, so dont be a stranger. We need to get that 65k PPD up to 650k ppd ;)


EDIT: BTW, Is there a specific reason why you decided to load windows instead of the Linux/Ubuntu install? I believe there's a significant performance increase with Ubuntu and The Kraken that you wont get with Windows. The guides on the forums and the install theyve put together make it almost automatic. Just a FYI if you ONLY plan to fold with those machines. Might be worth it to make the switch.
 
Last edited:
I ended up grabbing some old 40GB hard drives and installing Server 2012 on 5 of them, and I have another 5 or 6 I can fire up. 65K points yesterday.

Even though my machines at home all have day jobs now and my production isn't what it used to be, I got pulled in back in 2005. :D

Nice to see you return to the addiction, Alan! :cool: Been a long time...
 
Nice to see you return to the addiction, Alan! :cool: Been a long time...

The addiction has always been there, I just haven't had the boxen. All of my CPU's are busy with my efforts in the never ending certification chase.

My peak was somewhere around the top 50 in PPD and closing in on top 100 overall. Let's see if I can get back there before while I still have these boxen. :cool:

EDIT: BTW, Is there a specific reason why you decided to load windows instead of the Linux/Ubuntu install? I believe there's a significant performance increase with Ubuntu and The Kraken that you wont get with Windows. The guides on the forums and the install theyve put together make it almost automatic. Just a FYI if you ONLY plan to fold with those machines. Might be worth it to make the switch.

They may be pulled for projects at any time and Server 2012 is what they'll be running if they do. So I'm just putting the extra effort in now to save time later. A little thanks for allowing me to chose how to burn them in. :cool:
 
The addiction has always been there, I just haven't had the boxen. All of my CPU's are busy with my efforts in the never ending certification chase.

My peak was somewhere around the top 50 in PPD and closing in on top 100 overall. Let's see if I can get back there before while I still have these boxen. :cool:



They may be pulled for projects at any time and Server 2012 is what they'll be running if they do. So I'm just putting the extra effort in now to save time later. A little thanks for allowing me to chose how to burn them in. :cool:

Got it. That makes perfect sense then!
 
Back
Top