djoye
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Aug 31, 2004
- Messages
- 3,179
I have a 7.1 setup and sometimes I play games, those that are typically console ports, that only support 5.1 sound. Using my X-Fi, when 5.1 sound is decoded on a 7.1 setup, set to 7.1 sound, the surround channel goes to the back speakers. When I use the Console Launcher to change to 5.1, the surround channels are still the back speakers. To me, it seems more logical that the "5.1" surround should be sent to the side-ish speakers instead.
After browsing diagrams of surround configurations I'm currently under the impression that the extra two speakers in "7.1" are the rears. If you go to Dolby's site here and click between 5.1 and 7.1 you see that in 5.1 the speakers are supposed to be positioned to the side-rear of the listener and then you toggle to 7.1 and they add in the rears; so why does Creative put the 5.1 in my rear speakers!?
EDIT:
So I decided to test out my assumption by using Dolby Digital Live and letting my receiver decode and sure enough when I play a speaker test through the Creative Console Launcher the receiver decodes the 5.1 surround channels go to my "side" speakers. Guess I'll use DDL or DTSC when playing 5.1 games 'cause I could bring it to Creative's attention that their software is improperly directing audio but they wouldn't do anything about it.
After browsing diagrams of surround configurations I'm currently under the impression that the extra two speakers in "7.1" are the rears. If you go to Dolby's site here and click between 5.1 and 7.1 you see that in 5.1 the speakers are supposed to be positioned to the side-rear of the listener and then you toggle to 7.1 and they add in the rears; so why does Creative put the 5.1 in my rear speakers!?
EDIT:
So I decided to test out my assumption by using Dolby Digital Live and letting my receiver decode and sure enough when I play a speaker test through the Creative Console Launcher the receiver decodes the 5.1 surround channels go to my "side" speakers. Guess I'll use DDL or DTSC when playing 5.1 games 'cause I could bring it to Creative's attention that their software is improperly directing audio but they wouldn't do anything about it.
Last edited: