is atis video playback really bad?

Zarich

Limp Gawd
I have my 5850 installed and tonight I went to watch and episode of sliders (I like that show) on dvd and it looks horrible. I loved watching these on my computer, but now it is all grainy and blurry when I choose fullscreen. At 100% it is tiny in comparison to my 8800gts 320. Plus my 8800 looked great. I was so impressed watching movies on my screen until I tried using this new card. I tried using vlc, but the thing has all kinds of problems with the menu system and then I get these interlacing lines everywhere.
I tried other movies and still get the grainy blur, I also still have the interlace problems in vlc. It is just horribly disappointing.
I am thinking of sending my 5850 back now to get a 470 because I really like watching videos on my computer, but won't if they are gonna look like this.

It has nothing to do with the card. Your issue is with codecs and filters.

did you reinstall drivers? use driver sweeper to erase nvidia driver completely and install ati driver. I also installed 5850 last week and no problem here.
Also reinstall your codec.

It's an ATI thing. Their software support particularly in video playback just isn't on par with nVidias. I've already been to their forums and the people there basically just told me to go get an nVidia card since ATI's video drivers aren't gonna be fixed anytime soon.

Another forum i go to had people with ATI based notebooks getting these to decode their videos because ATI's hardware acceleration just doesn't work reliably enough.

bcm97001pic1big.jpg

It isn't just about the codec (Unless said codec skips hardware acceleration altogether), there's simply no ATI solution at the moment.

I have a HD3200 and an HD5850. Both on reformatted harddrives and fresh Win7 installs. Went forum hopping and tried every codec/codec packs/media players i can find before i finally agreed with the other posters that ATI's DXVA is simply broken and doesn't fully support h264.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nok3B_fCU6w

Last edited:
I haven't noticed this at all. I did have to completely wipe nvidia drivers and use the ati drivers directly from their site to get the card running properly, but no video playback issues, picture's just as clear as it was on my old cards (I also use vlc and haven't had any issues).

It's an ATI thing. Their software support particularly in video playback just isn't on par with nVidias. I've already been to their forums and the people there basically just told me to go get an nVidia card since ATI's video drivers aren't gonna be fixed anytime soon.

Another forum i go to had people with ATI based notebooks getting these to decode their videos because ATI's hardware acceleration just doesn't work reliably enough.

bcm97001pic1big.jpg

It isn't just about the codec (Unless said codec skips hardware acceleration altogether), there's simply no ATI solution at the moment.

I have a HD3200 and an HD5850. Both on reformatted harddrives and fresh Win7 installs. Went forum hopping and tried every codec/codec packs/media players i can find before i finally agreed with the other posters that ATI's DXVA is simply broken and doesn't fully support h264.

That's wierd, I have never had any h264 problems with my 5870, usually it is the fault of MPC and using VLC makes them work fine...unless VLC is using software acceleration and MPC is trying to use hardware acceleration.

Can you list some specific videos on which you have had these problems so I can download them and try it out myself on my system?

my 5870 looks/sounds awesome playing blu-rays and blu-ray rips...

even bitstreaming the audio works flawlessly!

1080p will look good on any video card that supports it :rolleyes:

The OP is obviously referring to SD which makes use of the cards scaling capabilities which are inferior to nvidia's.

The OP is obviously referring to SD which makes use of the cards scaling capabilities which are inferior to nvidia's.

eehhh, DVDs look the same if not better for me than on my old gtx 285. definitely something going on with the OPs playback software/codecs...

negatron

Having both a ATi card and Nvidia card at one point I can tell you that there was no discernable difference between the ATi card scaling the same material to 1680*1050 or 1080p and the Nvida card scaling to 1440*900 or 1080p

trying to compare streaming video is like doing an exercise in frutility as at any moment the quality can degrade for any number of reasons.

Also DVD (especially newer ones) suffer from horrible compression artifacts (just take a look at batman begins and you can SEE the color banding in certain scenes) Other stuff like Enterprise looks downright amazing cause they choose to encode it for looks first and compressability second...

I am going to go with codec issue myself.. my studio 15 has power dvd 7 for hd-dvd playback, power dvd 8 for blu-ray playback and power dvd 10 to handle everything else and it all works quite well together.

edit pops in blu-ray into laptop and notices i5 520m cpu is <20% with a 4570 mobility radeon.....lol obviously it is NOT broken

Last edited:

lol? The only thing that's obvious is.. nevermind.:rolleyes:

Anyway, going from a GTS 250 to the HD 5xxx series produced no discernible change in scaled quality of movies from non-HD/SD or 720P to 1080P.

Might be user error or bad luck.

negatron

trying to compare streaming video is like doing an exercise in frutility as at any moment the quality can degrade for any number of reasons.

Screw movie playback, I want to see what this frutility exercise looks like. ;)

I did driver sweeper. I should not have to install a codec in WMP just to watch dvds without grain and blurriness. Everything else on this card is perfect, except this. I just popped in the black adder ultimate edition which I was watching the day my card arrive on my 8800gts and it looks incredibly grainy also. I played around with all the ati video settings. I finally got the lines out of vlc, but I had to choose a de-interlace option. Not sure why I didn't have to do this with my 8800gts. The other thing I don't get it why 100% is so flippin small on this thing. It should play out at 720x480 and it is way freakin smaller than that.
The card looks fantastic for gaming, but this video thing is a serious deal killer.

I playback 1080p MKV files with my 5770 and it works flawlessly when I play it back over HDMI to my 32-inch LCD HDTV.

Playing back DVDs on my PC and sent to my TV over HDMI, shows no problems or loss of quality.

I have a question: What video player are you using?

SMplayer?

Media Player Classic Home Cinema? (... which I use)

Media Player 11?

VLC? *shudder*

Do you have codec packs installed? K-Lite? CCCP? Shark?

Are you using Windows 7? You technically don't need codec packs for Windows 7, just Matroska Splitter installed. Windows 7 has the necessary H.264 filters.

This sounds so weird... I've never EVER had any video quality issues and I've gone back and forth from ATi to Nvidia several times. This is across SD, HD, and DVD sources...

OP, I highly doubt it's the card. I use GOM for pretty much everything and Arcsoft Total Media Theater for everything else..

Just threw in a couple DVD's to check and its grainy with only certain DVD's. Could be just the way they compress the videos.

windows media player 11 is what I am using. The thing is they weren't grainy before I made the switch. Something somewhere needs to be tweaked.

Didn't notice any difference going from a 8800GT to a 5870 in playback quality at 1920x1200.

Have you fiddled with the filters in Catalyst Control Center? By default my CCC enables dynamic contrast, which makes everything look crap. Also noise reduction and edge enhancement can screw things up if they're not set well.

I always just go in and disable all the filters in CCC except deinterlacing, and they keep turning on occassionally and I have to go in and turn them off again.

I can't say I've had an image quality change going from nVidia (8800GTS) to ATI (4870), but the way the drivers handle the video controls have been more problematic on ATI than nVidia.

Okay disabling dynamic contrast helped a lot. Still blurry, but not near as ass looknig. What about enforce smooth playback and pulldown detect?

Okay disabling dynamic contrast helped a lot. Still blurry, but not near as ass looknig. What about enforce smooth playback and pulldown detect?

I don't believe Media Player 11 offers it or PowerDVD, but if you playback the DVD in MPC-HC and enable the DXVA features, you can add sharpening effects and other things to the video playback.

negatron

Having both a ATi card and Nvidia card at one point I can tell you that there was no discernable difference between the ATi card scaling the same material to 1680*1050 or 1080p and the Nvida card scaling to 1440*900 or 1080p

You watch on what? a 24" computer screen?

Video scaling matters, my Toshiba XA2 will still kick the crap out of any video card with it's Reon VP. Watch on a 50" screen or bigger and get back to me.

The differences in scaling just don't matter on computer screens, if the OP is seeing a difference on such a small screen then I agree something is wrong.

bcm97001pic1big.jpg

Got a link to these threads you're refferring to? I've never had a problem.

that doesn't sound like a hardware issue, that does sound like codec issue. I have had both and while there is a slight difference (I had to be told what to look for) they are both pretty damn good.

To the OP. go take a good look here. http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu-guide/1

also here on the player as well as more info http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ this the Media Player Classic Home Cinema site. more info, its free, it might just clear up the issue

you can use the shader power on card to enhance your video. but I still think there is codec issue.

Last edited:
Nice player.. neat options, but I still cannot get rid of the grainy. I can make the picture much nicer, no longer blurry, but the grain when I go full screen is still really bad. Something I did not get on my old card. I really would like a fix for this.

In MPC goto view->options->output->directshow video

and try a different renderer? Not sure if this will help, but maybe worth a try. I had some issues with video scaling using Evr Custom, going to VRM7 (renderless) fixed it.

I get DXVA acceleration playing DVD's by mounting the ISO's and playing them with Media Player Home Cinema and all menus work perfectly on my HTPC with a HD4870. The problem is in your setup not the card.

I highly doubt a video card is the reason for video playback problems. Much like changing your sound card isn't going to make your music suddenly full of noise. I vote pebkac error.

How can you blame me when all I did was unload drivers and load new drivers Nothing more.

Google it, there's plenty. Heck, try checking AMD's own forums.

Sure, I can google it, but I can google the same thing for nVIdia and i'll get hits there as well. I want to see where ATI owners are recommending nVidia due to what you're implying to be known issues.

You watch on what? a 24" computer screen?

Video scaling matters, my Toshiba XA2 will still kick the crap out of any video card with it's Reon VP. Watch on a 50" screen or bigger and get back to me.

The differences in scaling just don't matter on computer screens, if the OP is seeing a difference on such a small screen then I agree something is wrong.

Computer video scalers a typically better than anything on the consumer side (your TV included) cause they have to scale stuff to at least 2560x1600 if called upon to do so and you cannot do that with an inferior scaler beucase PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS USERS WOULD NOT PUT UP WITH IT.

a 1080p screen that is 60" industrial LCD was used for the comparison (it is what we have at work on a wall) There was NO DISCERNABLE difference between a 8400GS-M (vostro 1400) and a 4570 (studio 15) using the same player (Power dvd 8)

Computer video scalers a typically better than anything on the consumer side (your TV included) cause they have to scale stuff to at least 2560x1600 if called upon to do so and you cannot do that with an inferior scaler beucase PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS USERS WOULD NOT PUT UP WITH IT.

a 1080p screen that is 60" industrial LCD was used for the comparison (it is what we have at work on a wall) There was NO DISCERNABLE difference between a 8400GS-M (vostro 1400) and a 4570 (studio 15) using the same player (Power dvd 8)

Good post, except his Toshiba XA2 is actually an ancient HD DVD player, not a TV.

How can you blame me when all I did was unload drivers and load new drivers Nothing more.

I don't that anyone is blaming you here, just that we think that there is a problem other then the card. non of the people here except the one have ever had an issue with an ATI card. My guess is something is wrong with software side.

Next step is to make sure that you have latest full driver package for ATI, for that matter go reinstall it anyways. go here http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx and get the FULL 10.5 driver set. (the largest package) down load and install.

My next suggestion to you is to install the K-lite mega codec package. You can find it here http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html

if that doesn't work there are few other things to try. and don't stress. this isn't that uncommon of an issue when changing out hardware. Hell you should seen that crap I had go through to get my sound right for vista

never had any problems with any ati cards. I am sure it is a codec problem or software problem then it is ati drivers. I have used numerous ati cards and their product is as good as nvidia's if not better then nvidia when it comes to video playback.

Turn everything up all the way in the video tab, except turn off Edge enhancement, works in WMP12, or am I wrong?

never have a single problem with it.

just pop EVA 2.22 into my laptop, flawless playback and great quality on 5650.

used both MPC and WMP too without a single issue..

Sure, I can google it, but I can google the same thing for nVIdia and i'll get hits there as well. I want to see where ATI owners are recommending nVidia due to what you're implying to be known issues.

I was googling for DXVA artifacts and how to fix them, and all the searches came out ATI's and i have yet to find a fix. You can see from the video i made that i got it working, i got DXVA is working properly, otherwise those sample videos wouldn't be running (It's a netbook, it doesn't have the power to run them off the CPU so you'll know). So i turned to google and even posted repeatedly in [H]. No one knows how to fix it.

Go to AMD forums and search for DXVA issues, no fixes. Try google and look for DXVA issues and how to fix them, they're mostly ATI cards and no fixes. I'm not googling looking for problems as you seem to imply, i have a ATI GPU and i'm looking for a way to get it fixed! So far, none.

If you bothered to check my video, you'll note that i've got DXVA working, but it only supports the ones you'll normally see on Blueray and DVD's, anything other than that and it's a luck of the draw. It doesn't fully support h264.

Here: I'm posting it yet again since people can't seem to get it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nok3B_fCU6w
If anybody knows a site with hints on how to get it to work, let me know. Even the imouto.my site couldn't get theirs to work.

I'm still looking for a way to get this thing to work. I paid for it and i'm trying to get my moneys worth.

Last edited:
Back